CarSpyShots

CarSpyShots (http://www.carspyshots.net/index.php)
-   New Cars 2018/2019 (http://www.carspyshots.net/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   2018 Volkswagen Atlas (http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=23668)

Swallow Doretti 10-28-2016 03:43 AM

2018 Volkswagen Atlas

It's here, it's here, it's finally here in all its zzzzzzzzz... glory.

And, good lord, what a lurid color to choose for the introduction:

http://www.motor1.com/news/127061/vo...ficial-photos/

MrMGMan 10-28-2016 04:13 AM

I'm getting one of two things from this. Either:

a) Volkswagen still has zero understanding of American buyers, or;
b) Volkswagen actively enjoys punishing American buyers.

How did they get from the relatively stylish CrossBlue to this lukewarm, disjointed looking mess? The headlights and front fascia are far too big and blocky, and the creases running over the wheelarches are just awful.

Swallow Doretti 10-28-2016 04:18 AM

It's like the stylists had a 15 year-old Mitsubishi Endeavor and a 10 year-old Kia Borrego in the studio and said, "Let's make it somewhere in between those two."

Nicktyelor 10-28-2016 05:24 AM

WOW. Now that is hideous. An exterior of that caliber for 2016 is beyond disappointing, especially coming from VW. I can't begin to list the design issues and level of dated-ness it has.

Or maybe I will...

Primarily, those wheel arch lines are HIDEOUS. It looks like the line is splitting the car in two, top and bottom half. The height and curvature of it is simply bad and disproportionate. The headlights and tail lights are oversized and blocky. In an era where slim is cheap and trendy, they went old school and not in a good way. The DLO kink is also awkward. The stock wheel design is also very very ugly.

They had a completely reasonable and stylish concept that was neither too "concepty" nor ugly. It's like they wanted to add some butch-ness back into it and messed it all up. I don't see how this will play out well for VW.

ocn75 10-28-2016 09:04 AM

Looks simultaneously ugly and yawn-inducing. And something that has come out of a 1990s time-warp. The exterior is all kinds of wrong.

joeyo 10-28-2016 10:43 AM

Wow, this is awful. I would choose anything else in the class over this, ANYTHING.

disap.ed 10-28-2016 11:40 AM

I don't get the design, it doesn't have anything in common with other recent VW designs (especially the side cease and wheel arches) and looks a lot worse than the concept did (which looked pretty much production ready back then).
Interieur looks decent at least, if nothing special either.
No hybrid is a huge fail with the lack of a Diesel engine.
A shame :(

After the shameful Octavia facelift already the second huge disappointment out of the VW group in only 2 days :(

swizzle 10-28-2016 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reppu (Post 481675)
Don't complaint you americans. We have been enjoying this very design here for some time now, except in a smaller format.

"you Americans"???? wow....I mean wow...yikes...speechless

------

The use of urine yellow suggests that the Atlas is flushable.

paranoidgarliclover 10-28-2016 04:52 PM

Aside from the availability of a V-6 engine, I see no reason to choose this over, say, a CX-9.

Wrong car at the wrong time. I don't see a ton of Honda Pilots, etc., running around. VW needs the Tiguan NOW. The Atlas isn't going to do much for the bottom line, IMHO.

cowboysnkisses 10-28-2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reppu (Post 481675)
Don't complaint you americans. We have been enjoying this very design here for some time now, except in a smaller format.

now now. I'm Italian and I've been in the US for 17 years. This piece of crap design is inexcusable no matter how hard you try (and I LOVE my Mk6 Golf GTI). In its ugliness it reminds me of the previous Honda Pilot, only worse. I think VW has been resting on its laurels wayyyy too long. If they didn't feel like even trying, they shouldn't have. Because I agree with the others, I'd take pretty much ANYTHING else in the segment. Let me think, gorgeous Mazda CX-9, or VW At-last? mmmmh....