CarSpyShots

CarSpyShots (http://www.carspyshots.net/index.php)
-   Car Spy Pictures (http://www.carspyshots.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2019? Chevrolet Corvette C8 (http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=23540)

caarmike 06-28-2016 12:42 AM

2019? Chevrolet Corvette C8

It's for real:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/27/m...road-daylight/

Very grainy, but enough to prove that
a) It is a Corvette (at least it's testing with another Corvette and some other GM models)
b) It's probably mid-engine
c) It's a real car and not just some cobbled together mule

This is the automotive equivalent of seeing bigfoot, the Loch Ness monster and a flying saucer all at the same time. A truly amazing achievement in spy photography captured from a mile away.

SNIFFDAR 06-28-2016 03:16 AM

Isn't this crazy!?! Look, I'm almost 50 years old and I just knew this would never happen. This is like humans landing on Mars in my lifetime or something! Wow. I'm sort of speechless right now...

paranoidgarliclover 06-28-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caarmike (Post 479498)
A truly amazing achievement in spy photography captured from a mile away.

Or GM simply created a staged leak to generate interest?

caarmike 06-28-2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover (Post 479501)
Or GM simply created a staged leak to generate interest?

Interesting thought, but I've never heard of an automaker building a one-off prototype (which can cost ~$1 million) for the sole purpose of appearing in grainy spy shots.

Crash 06-28-2016 12:28 PM

Ok, I'll be that guy. How can anyone tell this is going to be mid-engine?

swizzle 06-28-2016 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caarmike (Post 479503)
Interesting thought, but I've never heard of an automaker building a one-off prototype (which can cost ~$1 million) for the sole purpose of appearing in grainy spy shots.

Manufacturers stage leaks all the time.

I'm hoping this is a Zora to sit above the Stingray. Taking the Corvette mid-engined would be like making the 911 front engined.

exl500 06-28-2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swizzle (Post 479507)
Manufacturers stage leaks all the time.

I'm hoping this is a Zora to sit above the Stingray. Taking the Corvette mid-engined would be like making the 911 front engined.

I agree. Corvette could easily be a multi-car marque.

paranoidgarliclover 06-28-2016 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caarmike (Post 479503)

Didn't mean to imply it was a one-off SPECIFICALLY designed for publicity. But one article stated that there was a rumor that the mid-engined prototypes or mules or whatever were tested at night. Presumably that was to avoid them being photographed, right? So suddenly they test the car during the day and just happen to have some current gen Corvettes and a Cadillac so that anybody who just happens to be pointing their lens in the right direction from A MILE away (do spy photogs do that regularly?) happens to get the shot and knows that it's a mid-engined Corvette?

And, as Crash says, how can you *really* tell this is mid-engined? Yeah, it seems to have the right proportions. But how the photog not get a proper profile pic from a mile away? Was the track still so big from that distance that the profile couldn't be seen?

I assume someone from GM probably contacted the photog to say, "Hey, we're testing it during the day now. Make sure you get a shot...." GM starts the buzz, photog makes $. Everyone's a winner. ;)

swizzle 06-29-2016 08:36 PM

There are some reports saying this is a Cadillac project.

paranoidgarliclover 06-29-2016 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swizzle (Post 479543)
There are some reports saying this is a Cadillac project.

So it will drive brilliantly, have a horrible interior user interface, and will not sell, like, at all? :(