CarSpyShots

CarSpyShots (http://www.carspyshots.net/index.php)
-   Automotive Design (http://www.carspyshots.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   2010 Quimera Abante (http://www.carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=16599)

DoMiNo 12-16-2008 10:36 AM

2010 Quimera Abante

Quimera aims for 3er and Co. with new Abante sport sedan

Quimera continues its push into ever-more competitive market segments with the introduction of its new Abante sport sedan, seen here in studio photos before its debut at the North American International Auto Show in January. The svelte four-door hopes to knock the BMW 3-series from its perennial perch as the champion of the compact luxury segment; endowed with sleek, coupe-like design, proven powertrains, and pulse-quickening performance, the Abante is poised to succeed in that aim. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The Abante’s aggressive styling draws on many previous Quimera models, with obvious echoes of the Halcón SUV up front as well as a three-part grille inspired by the Bellona concept of 2006. Voluptuously sculpted fenders, a long hood, and slender side glass convey coupe-like elegance, while massive wheels pushed far to the corners impart an aggressive stance and menacing presence. Quimera’s usual gamut of exterior colors and trim options provide unparalleled levels of customization, thus ensuring that each Abante is as unique as its owner. <o:p></o:p>
Beneath the seductive sheetmetal hides a stretched version of the compact architecture that debuted with the Megera coupe. An aluminum-intensive four-wheel independent suspension—coupled with sway bars front and rear—provides stellar handling in all conditions and cross-drilled, ventilated disc brakes are standard all around. The Abante will bow with the choice of two engines: a turbocharged 2.4L four-cylinder sourced from the Megera and the 3.6L VVT V6 available in several Quimera models. The torque-laden and highly efficient 2.4L pushes an incredible 286hp, making it the enthusiast’s choice, while the 3.6L produces an effortless 318hp. Seven-speed sequential dual-clutch manual and conventional automatic gearboxes channel the power to the rear wheels; AWD and 3.0L diesel V6 variants will follow. <o:p></o:p>
Despite its sporting intent, the Abante comes replete with the same creature comforts and advanced technology expected of any Quimera, including rich leather sport seats (alcantara is standard in the four-cylinder model), McIntosh 7.1 surround sound, and the latest version of the proprietary QIMMS™ system which consolidates audio, navigation, climate control, and various performance functions in one intuitive interface. No detail has been overlooked in the development of what may be Quimera’s most important model; the success of the Abante is a vital piece of Quimera’s mainstream ambitions and the company has spared no expense in creating a world-beating sedan. Expect deliveries to commence shortly after the Abante’s Q1 Detroit debut.
Abante shown in Azul Baleárico with Rally Gold appearance package

Abante shown in Azul Caribe

Abante shown in Rojo Flamenco with Stealth appearance package

Abante shown in Gris Finisterre with optional magnesium wheel finish

2o6 12-16-2008 02:19 PM

I like it, but the grille reminds me of a Subaru. The gold wheels remind me of what the Impreza should have been.

I'm really liking it.

PRODIGY 12-16-2008 03:15 PM

I just don't get how someone can get so good at drawing and rendering! Outstanding work!

The design is great, the rear gives off a BMW 6-Series vibe! (I like the 6 Series lol) and the front has a lot of aggression which buyers of this class of car want.

I challenge you to make a sporty estate/wagon version...

DoMiNo 12-17-2008 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2o6 (Post 356937)
I like it, but the grille reminds me of a Subaru. The gold wheels remind me of what the Impreza should have been.

I'm really liking it.

Thanks 2o6 :) Yeah, with the blue/gold combination I've shown on several recent Quimeras the Subaru resemblance is particularly obvious. I really like the look, though. The grille has at times resembled the former Subaru face but as I said it was inspired by the Bellona concept (which itself could have been subconsciously inspired by Subie or even Saab).

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRODIGY (Post 356943)
I just don't get how someone can get so good at drawing and rendering! Outstanding work!

The design is great, the rear gives off a BMW 6-Series vibe! (I like the 6 Series lol) and the front has a lot of aggression which buyers of this class of car want.

I challenge you to make a sporty estate/wagon version...

Thanks to you as well, PRODIGY! I also saw a bit of 6er in the rear as well and indeed envisioned a minor "Bangle Butt"; hopefully I will have the time to finish the rear view. The wagon is a spectacular idea as well and one I hope to tackle (though I will probably utilize the same drawing as my base to save time). As this will be Quimera's most mainstream model, a different bodystyle would be a great addition.

I appreciate the feedback, guys.

Superfresa 12-17-2008 03:26 AM

Matt, that's fantastic work as usual. As a highlight, again detailing from the grill, the side window trims and things like that are exceptional. I really like the sleekness and aggressiveness of this one without being obscene like an F350 grill. I love everything about this car, and only have 2 nitpicks. Firstly, and this one is really picky, it doesn't look like you have a helluva lot of rear headroom. Secondly, and this one is the only important one really, the wheels. The front wheel seems to always be just the slightest bit off in your drawings. I dont know if this is intentional, but its the only thing that seems a little weird in an otherwise perfect execution. It just has a lot of camber, and also the hub isn't on the center of the rim, its a little offcenter.

I do like how you bring the wheel outside the shaded are of the vehicle to make it stand out, but try to also bring the wheel thickness out so that it has depth. Also, because of this trick to make the rim the focus of attention, is that that wheel needs to be absolutely perfect!

I can't say enough how much I love your designs, and they are an inspiration, so dont take the above as a negative comment...

Also, Where's the wagon? :P Hehehe.

DoMiNo 12-17-2008 03:47 AM

If the wheels are slightly off it's because I draw them freehand (i.e. without ellipses or other tools); I don't see the camber issue, frankly (perhaps ever so slightly on the rear wheel), but I won't argue that the hub is probably off. In trying to create the illusion of depth (that is, trying to push the hub visually inward) I guess it gets pushed to one side. So I suppose it is intentional, in a way. I've also found that the more spokes I draw the harder it is for me to perfect the wheel; a five-spoke wheel is much easier to get right than is one like this, so that's part of it I presume. At any rate, as I'm not doing this professionally (indeed, this started out as a rather quick sketch) I don't see myself changing the routine anytime soon, so I suppose I will always have that problem. Oh well...

Also, per my response to PRODIGY, a wagon is hopefully forthcoming.

Superfresa 12-17-2008 04:13 AM

Ellipse tools are the devil, freehand is the go! :)

I know you dont do it professionally (But you could! You're amazingly good!) and by no means are my own wheels well drawn - I cant get them right! I am just saying that since the body and detailing are perfect, I am just suggesting any possible way in which you can further improve. If you dont feel that the wheel is off then thats cool, you can probably judge that batter than me as only you know the design and the intent and I can only really comment as an observer, obviously.

Also I forgot to mention before that I LOVE that rear wheelarch (or like, the waistline above the rear wheel which ends up in the rear lights. It's so athletic and muscular! But what makes it really stnd out is your attention to detail, like the grill which as I said I'm a big fan of, and the DLO trim (Which by the way you did well to tie in to the front grill with colour coding and to bring them out). The mirror is another awesome detail.

DoMiNo 12-17-2008 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfresa (Post 357004)
I am just suggesting any possible way in which you can further improve. If you dont feel that the wheel is off then thats cool, you can probably judge that batter than me as only you know the design and the intent and I can only really comment as an observer, obviously.

Haha, I know there is always room to improve (indeed, in my case, a lot of room) and I sincerely appreciate your input, Fresa. To the contrary, as an objective observer you're in a far better place to judge it than I am!

I am, as always, grateful for your comments :)

CosworthKid 12-17-2008 11:40 AM

DoMiNo that is fantastic! I think its one of your best designs so far :) AND i think you should pitch it to Subaru and FAST, this would make an excellent design for the up-coming Subaru coupe! And if they don't want it contact Mullaly and tell him you got a great design for a new Capri!

the1 12-17-2008 12:02 PM

Outstanding work! Apart from the front end it actually looks like it belongs to the Ford Kynetic Design trend, even the windowline fits well with the rest of Euro Ford range.