View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Exclamation Design Battleground - Discussion thread

Okay, the design battles seem to be working out okay, but there are a lot of people who want to participate and it's tough, with just one contest, to get everyone involved. Plus, there are obvious issues about who should be able to compete with who and I don't feel comfortable assigning contestants into "tiers" that may or may not reflect their actual abilities. Besides, that would be counter to the idea that "ideas," instead of skill, are the main factor in these contests.

The only solution I've been able to come up with is to establish three self-assigned tiers wherein designers assess their own respective skill levels and place themselves in what they believe to be the appropriate group. There would be a tier 1 through 3, with 1 being novice and 3 being advanced. That way, everyone would be where they wanted to be. Is this an idea worth pursuing? Would everyone be comfortable assigning themselves to a group?

My next concern--and hopefully you guys can help me out here--is the fact that, with different tiers, there would be multiple simultaneous contests (not to mention to regular design contest) which would be tough to juggle. The only way around this that I can see is to alternate between T1, T2, and T3 contests, allowing participants to choose higher-level challengers, etc., as was previously discussed. Thoughts?