Originally Posted by SV View Post
thanks! there'll be a new montgomery up in a few days, in time for NAIAS

i was bored so i decided to do another pretend review:

Quote, originally posted by Autocar »

Montgomery Icon Hatchback 1.8 TD LX 5dr
Test date 01 November 2006
Price when new J15,415

What's new?
Quite a lot, they claim. And indeed this is one of the more significant facelifts we've seen in a while - compare the newest SV100 to its immediate forbear, for example, and you'll be hard-pressed to find the differences; the revised Icon meanwhile could almost count as a new generation going by looks alone, so extensive are the modifications.

Underneath, however, things remain largely the same as before. The suspension has been subtly tweaked for better chassis response, but the big news here revolves around the steering: the old rack has been sacked completely, to make way for a new Shannon-derived unit. Prices are identical to the outgoing model.

What's it like?
Its looks are definitely funkier (at least up front), but line it up next to newer rivals, such as the Citroen C4 and Vauxhall Astra, and the Icon begins to look a bit staid. That said, its looks are considerably improved over the previous car's drab design.

Stepping inside, anyone experienced with the old Icon will find a familiar yet subtly different interior. It's made of slightly higher-quality stuff; the door panels, steering wheel and control panel are new. As before, everything is screwed together solidly.

The Icon wasn't exactly in desperate need for chassis revisions, its dynamics having always been near the vanguard of its class. However, the changes (and improvements) to the oily bits are apparent as soon as you round a corner. The Icon's old steering rack got the job done but didn't stand out among its peers; now, however, the car steers almost as if it were an extension of your arm, telling you all the things you want to know and few of the things you don't.

The ride is a bit firmer than before, but this car is still an able mile-eater. The 1.8-litre turbodiesel four-pot and six-speed manumatic transmission, carried over unchanged from the old car (although the transmission gets a new name, 'Duonic'), adds to the Icon's motorway-loving nature.

Should I buy one?
The outgoing Icon was already an excellent car; these latest improvements only enhance its appeal. Build quality is up to Golf standards, while the chassis revisions and brand-new steering make the Icon a true driver's car and, indeed, a real threat to the Focus. All these factors combined, along with value above the class average, add up to what could very well be the new segment leader.

Cool. I was looking this over, and the Updated Icon in the review pic looks great.