There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Design Studio Moderator

Send a message via AIM to AXIS
Default Voting: CSS Designers Choice 2010

Remember NEW VOTING RULES are in effect, Score each design between 0 – 5 points.
Check out the amended RULES for more details.

Gentlemen Start Your Voting!
Here are the entries in the order received:

1. SV: Montgomery Icon RSport

2. Nath: Alfa Romeo Montreal

3. AXIS: BMW zero

4. ACcartoons: Ford RS200

5. DoMiNo: Quimera Abante Qh PHEV

6. ElementW: Mitsubishi 3000GT

7. TS-Design: Kia or Skoda

8. NelsonDesign: Abarth

As always, please inform me of any broken links or missing entries.
Best of Luck Designers!!! Voting will close on Jan 7.

Make sure you cast your VOTE in the latest Design Battle, The CMMA 2011 Car of the Year and The CSS ALL* STAR Design Challenge 2010

Last edited by AXIS; 01-02-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 AM
TheSwageLine

1 | 5
2 | 5
3 | 3
4 | -
5 | 4
6 | 4
7 | 4
8 | 4
Old 01-04-2011, 12:14 PM

Default Voting

Some great entries!

SV: 3 points, I think you show a good rendering, but the design needs to be more out of the box.

Nath: 3 points, I like that you show your design from 3 angles, also some good pencil sketches.

Axis: 4 points, as always you show great skills at rendering and the design of the car.

ACCartoons: 2 points, I think your design is too simple for my taste, but your rendering is pretty cool.

Domino: 4 points, the master of rendering, I really like your design, but still it doesnt catch me as much as TS-Designs rendering.

ElementW: 3 points, I really like your unique design, but you need to practice more on perspective and proportions to keep up with the top participants.

TS-Design: 5 points, I really like how you have tweeked the perspective to give it some dynamique, also I am impressed with your marker skills and the overall design of the car.

NelsonDesign: 4 points, You have taken your design out of the box, and shown it on a difficult perspective, for that I score you high.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Design Studio Moderator

3: - Montgomery Icon RSport
SV your rendering skills have come a long way, and continues to improve with each post; great work. While the Montgomery design language is well thought out and stylish, I would have loved to see you let loose and really push the RSport's design. It could have been a tad bit more aggressive and over the top as opposed to looking like a regular model with an appearance package.

5: - Alfa Romeo Montreal
Nath Another great piece from you,taking cues from the original iconic Montreal design you've managed to create an elegantly styled vehicle that bridges the past with the present. Your attention to detail is nothing short of amazing, Good Job!

2: - Ford RS200
ACcartoons I must commend you for tackling a Photoshop render, however once again I'm going to stress the importance of using the computer as a design aide as opposed to a design tool. Spend some time mastering the basics (your proportions, surfacing, elements etc…) on paper, before moving into the digital realm. There is so much more potential in this design however it just doesn't seem that well thought out.

5: - Quimera Abante Qh PHEV
DoMiNo The Quimera Abante is my hands down favorite Quimera model of all time. And there is no doubt in my mind that if the brand really existed, the Abante would be a strong conteneder as my daily driver.

4: - Mitsubishi 3000GT
ElementW You are one of those designers that exists in your own world! Your work often has this futurist vibe to it reminiscent of the great Syd Mead. There's tons of imagination and creativity in this design as well as design elements way ahead of its time. While we are in 2011 you sir exist in 2021! Great Work.

5: - Kia or Skoda
TS-Design You are the master of the marker! while most of us flock to Photoshop, its refreshing to see someone stay with a traditional medium and perfect their craft. This design is great, The proportions are spot on and all of your design elements work cohesively well with each other.

4: - Abarth
NelsonDesign You continue to grow leaps and bounds with each post, and this design shows that you are willing to step out of the box and try new shapes and forms to develop new ideas. Like TS-Design I must also commend you for working with markers, they are not the easiest medium to work with but its great to see that you two have a handle on it.

Last edited by AXIS; 01-04-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Nath - 4
Very good work; it's one of your cleanest sketches that I can remember and a good design too; it clearly references the original Montreal without being overtly retro.

Axis - 3
A good render as usual, and there are some neat design details, but the fender bulges don't say BMW to me at all - they remind me of the old Mercedes Ponton more than anything else - and the surfacing around the grille is a bit vague. I also think it would be nice if you tried some different angles; this particular 3/4 view seems to be the only one we ever see from you.

ACcartoons - 3
I like how you tried to integrate the RS2000 look with the Kinetic Design language, and there are some interesting touches - particularly the black bit that flows back from the main grille into the sides. However there are some perspective issues, especially concerning the face of the car, and the render itself is a bit basic; clean, but it could do with some more metallic/reflective touches. Still, good work.

DoMiNo - 4
I've commented on the Abante Qh before, and everything I said then applies now; I'm still fascinated by those intricate wheels. Perhaps the one thing I can say, though, is that the render is a bit dark, though I understand that's the mood you were going for.

ElementW - 3
You've definitely got some interesting ideas, but I think you could improve your line work. Additionally, the ideas themselves could be better developed; I have trouble reading many of the exterior features.

TS-Design - 4
The rendering job is superb, that's some of the best marker work I've seen on CSS (and certainly far outstrips my own abilities with markers, which I've let wither over the last few years). I feel like the design itself isn't quite as well done as the render; the front end isn't to my tastes and while I like the side surfacing, the Audi R8-esque blade in the side doesn't really fit. Still, a really, really good sketch.

NelsonDesign - 4
The sketch is great, it has a lot of energy and the linework is quite clean. Very professional. The side sculpting is very nice as well. I really don't get what's going on with the DLO/greenhouse though; it looks squashed.

As for the comments about my design: I think the name is a bit misleading. It's not meant to be a hardcore Focus RS or STi competitor; were that the case it would have been quite a bit less restrained. The Icon RSport is meant to be a GTI rival, thus I wanted something more subdued and (I had hoped) classy. I'm toying with the idea of a more extreme RSport though, and if that ever happens it will be more out-of-the-box.

Last edited by SV; 01-05-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:12 AM
Car Designer hopeful

4-SV- Very good design, and as always very good sketch to boot

4-Nath- I absolutely love the design, and all the views are very well done

3-AXIS- Personally I don't think this is my favorite design from you, but it is very well done

3-ACCartoons- I think the concept is wonderful, and there are many great design cues

3-Domino- Fantastic sketch as usual, and the design is very professional, but I'm not sure it's the best I've seen from you

4-ElementW- Really like the idea you have going here, it's a very cool design

3-TS- I agree with AXIS on this one, you are the master of the markers. The design seems more generic than most of your designs though

Great job everyone! Talent-filled year for sure
Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 PM

4-SV

3-Nath

3-Axis

2-ACcartoons

3-DoMiNo

5-TS-Design

5-NelsonDesign
Old 01-09-2011, 03:42 AM
CSS Veteran

SV - 3. Although I like the Icon, I think the Gyro has outdone it and kinda aged it before its time.

Nath -

AXIS - 2. Stick a Nissan grill on it, call it a 200Z and you have a car, no BMW though, sorry

ACcartoons - 3. It's pretty crude, seen better of your work but something about it just kinda works. Be nice to see it developed further

DoMiNo - 5. Was critical of a Quimera in the CoTY thread, but this works perfectly.

ElementW - 4. Very neat, definately looks suitably techy and japanese

TS-Design - 3. Marker work is brilliant but the designs looks a little confused about what it wants to be

NelsonDesign - 4. your work is stating to get really good, but be great to see another angle o can work out how the roof goes

Thanks
Old 01-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Design Studio Moderator

***VOTING CLOSED***

Thanks to all who participated and took the time out to vote.
Here are the results of the voting:

TS-Design: Kia or Skoda - 29

DoMiNo: Quimera Abante Qh PHEV - 28
NelsonDesign: Abarth - 25
Nath: Alfa Romeo Montreal - 24
SV: Montgomery Icon RSport - 22
ElementW: Mitsubishi 3000GT - 22
AXIS: BMW zero - 18
ACcartoons: Ford RS200 - 15

Congratulations to TS-Design for winning the Designers Choice 2010
Now that 2010 is out of the way, lets get the ball rolling on the 2011 contests.