There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2017, 02:09 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough
Default 2018 Ferrari 812 Superfast

https://www.netcarshow.com/ferrari/2018-812_superfast/

New range topping Front negined Ferrari, having a new 6.5l NA V12 with 800hp up front.

VIsually your typical long snout front engined Ferrari, with a lot of links to famous models before.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:21 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

At least it's not the usual dose of Ferrari ugliness. This time we gat OK looking with a bit of awkwardness with the roof/tail. The side is fussy looking. The Stingray does visual aggression much better.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:32 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
At least it's not the usual dose of Ferrari ugliness. This time we gat OK looking with a bit of awkwardness with the roof/tail. The side is fussy looking. The Stingray does visual aggression much better.
I think Ferrari should not be the king of visual aggression, rather a kind of breathtaking, fast looking beauty, that earlier Pininfarina Ferraris did so well for years. I agree however that many late cars have been fussy and not really pretty at all, but being more aggressive is not where Ferrari belongs. Think a Daytona, and it's combination of expensive, beautifully looks yet looking fast Agressive and wild is where Lamborghini belongs, if we are looking at Italy.

At least to me this is a move in the right direction, even if not fully there yet.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:59 PM
CSS Oldtimer

IcedG35 is on a distinguished road

I think the F12 is a much prettier car than this overall, although the rear and the interior on the 812 are a huge improvement.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:33 PM
CSS Oldtimer

ocn75 is on a distinguished road

Agree that the 812 looks prettier. It's not ugly, just...underwhelming.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:14 AM

ElementW is on a distinguished road

Just because it's a Ferrari does the name not raise any eyebrows as being a little cheesy [though they used it before] because in the end it's true.

I don't feel the strong desirability factor I get when I see, say, the 456GT or the 599. But maybe the photos don't do it enough justice?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:43 AM
CSS Oldtimer

[quote=ElementW;483565I don't feel the strong desirability factor I get when I see, say, the 456GT or the 599. But maybe the photos don't do it enough justice?[/QUOTE]

First, those cars were designed by Pininfarina, and there hasn't really ever been a not good looking Pininfarina design (apart from the Hyundai Matrix, but no one knows where Pininfarina was involved there). PIninfarina usually managed that "X-Factor" in designs, that just made them somehow a bit more desirable, and all that without any exaggerated details or super futuristic shapes that won't gae well.

The otehr problem is that nowadays we get a slightly updated version of each Ferrari every few years, whilst the older like the 412, that predated the 456 or the Testarossa, that predated the 599, were around for 15 or even 20 years, so a new model looked totally different, from a different era and like nothing before if you like. These super evolutionary designs nowadays, often lost in detailing instead of looking at it as a whole - even if well executed (as said, to me this is good looking, but not yet there with the great Ferraris) - will never raise the pulse of a petrol head by the same degree that daring ccars from earlier periods did.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:48 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Reppu is on a distinguished road

I don't like it that much, it's too busy and full of openings and gaps. A Ferrari should be much cleaner, those features are Lamborghini territory. I prefer the F12, hands down.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:21 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
I don't like it that much, it's too busy and full of openings and gaps. A Ferrari should be much cleaner, those features are Lamborghini territory. I prefer the F12, hands down.
Whilst I agree that is busy, and that Ferraris nowadays have a lot of openings, at least they are all functional (for either cooling or actual aerodynamic down force resp. channeling air where it generates it) unlike say Audi RS models (and related Bentley) which have a lot of fake mesh all over the car just for "visual aggression".
Old 02-17-2017, 09:22 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
at least they are all functional (for either cooling or actual aerodynamic down force resp. channeling air where it generates it)
This. To me, the beauty of Ferrari isn't just in the shape but in the purity and integrity of the engineering behind the shape.

This is quite demure. I rather like it.