Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2019, 07:56 PM

The Car-man is on a distinguished road
Default 2020 Volkswagen ID.3

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/09/...en-id3-unveil/

Last edited by The Car-man; 09-09-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:43 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

It looks like it could've come from any Japanese or Korean manufacturer, and it has the interior of a Toyota Corolla (except for the absence of a gauge cluster).

If they were going to make it this bland, couldn't they have injected some more VW DNA into the design? And the interior has neither the upscale conservative look that VW does so well, nor does it look sufficiently futuristic to tempt the Model 3 buyer (although I have no doubt that the build quality is better).

At least forward visibility looks like it'll be exceptional. Specs are also quite good.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:27 PM

madskillz is on a distinguished road

Interior looks a bit cheap IMO - was expecting better from VW.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:06 AM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

I don't hate it. I don't love it. I "meh" it. It needed to be special like the Rabbit/Golf 1 was on introduction.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:38 AM

FordGT is on a distinguished road

Nothing groundbreaking for sure, but better than most of VAGs recent products.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:47 AM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road

I think the slow reveal of this things seriously hurt it. We've seen basically all of it for the past 6 months. The aggressive "spy shot" ad campaign was annoying if anything.

By itself, I actually really love it. There are a lot of neat details all around. I'm particularly fond of how bold VAG is getting with their wheel choices... (Taycan has a similar motif).

I agree the interior looks half baked and too Toyota'ish. But beyond the super-tacked-on look of the screen, it's all very clean and minimal.

Overall I think it's a very strong step for VW. And absolutely idiotic not to bring it stateside. Typical VW...

Last edited by Nicktyelor; 09-10-2019 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:00 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

This is a massive home run for VW. I love the simplicity of it, and the sparse interior. The big miss here is that it’s not coming to the US. This would be an instant home run for them. It would destroy Golf, but bring new people into the dealerships.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:45 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I don't hate it. I don't love it. I "meh" it. It needed to be special like the Rabbit/Golf 1 was on introduction.
I agree; It's okay, but somehow just got a bit of that VW boringness injected into the initial concept that it looks okay rather than great; Or it#s the million teasers we have seen....

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskillz View Post
Interior looks a bit cheap IMO - was expecting better from VW.
Hardly a surprise, that has been true for many recent VAG products, and if saving money and weight (lke here) is a goal, a plush interior is the easiest point to save money on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
I think the slow reveal of this things seriously hurt it. We've seen basically all of it for the past 6 months. The aggressive "spy shot" ad campaign was annoying if anything.
I hate these campaigns that especially VAG seems keen on (and Land Rover, with the Defender), with month of official spyshots, teaser, journalist test drives of prototypes; There is zero surprise at the launch, the car seems familiar in a boring way. I guess if that hadn't been the case here, I would like it a lot more. Now it's a case of been there, done that;
Old 09-10-2019, 01:18 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
...Overall I think it's a very strong step for VW. And absolutely idiotic not to bring it stateside. Typical VW...
VW thinks that all is forgotten/forgiven vis a vis Dieselgate, so the vehicle that they rushed into development and production is no longer needed. They probably want to go back to TDIs that cheat. They did the "we care about customers" warranty and then jerked it away. VW is pretty reprehensible.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:19 PM

madskillz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post

Hardly a surprise, that has been true for many recent VAG products, and if saving money and weight (lke here) is a goal, a plush interior is the easiest point to save money on...
Sure, but it seems they took it to another level this time - while with some more recent cars materials weren't quite up there, but at least interiors looked ok, this on the other hand just looks terribly cheap.