Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2006, 04:47 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: (CosworthKid)

Quote, originally posted by CosworthKid »
Capri would have to be based on a smaller platform that that of the Falcon. If it was viable maybe Ford could also consider the Mustang as a chassis donor. But it will never happen, Capri will either be Mondeo or Focus based. Now if only Ford would borrow the RX-8's platform? Dunno.
But anyway, we should get back on topic, the Mondeo

I think the RX-8 could probably be too exppensive for a Capri. If it's going to happen ( a new Capri) i guess it would be Focus based so Ford can produce it on an existing proiduction line. Setting up an own line for a new platform, on which they build just a niche model would be too expensive to keep a Capri competitive. But as i said before, development of the coupe market (which means basically disapearing of that class) really makes me believe there won't be a classic coupe by Ford too soon.

I think a Mondeo based 4 door coupe too compete with the confirmed Passat Coupe makes more sense. But even that's not sure.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:06 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Default Re: (mick78)

Quote, originally posted by mick78 »

But as i said before, development of the coupe market (which means basically disapearing of that class) really makes me believe there won't be a classic coupe by Ford too soon.
think a Mondeo based 4 door coupe too compete with the confirmed Passat Coupe makes more sense. But even that's not sure.

I dissagree on both acounts. The probability of a Capri successor is very high since VW is producing a Scirocco. Trust me, Ford would want a chunk of the action (we cant have VW have a sportier image ).
Secondly making a 4-door coupe to compete with equivalent Passat? I sure hope not! VW might be playing their cards as a nearly premium maker with cars such as that, the Phaeton and Touareg but Ford wont cause they are not stupid. Passat, being a VW, has better chances in succeeding(albeit slim) as donor to a 4-door coupe. But Ford? Who will buy that? In that segment brand power is everything and Ford isnt premium, period. Now in the coupe sector we got the Mazda RX-8, Audi TT, BMW Z4 Coupe etc. Soon also the Scirocco. So Ford will stand a much better chance in this sector since 1)it always had a performance image and 2) Capri is one of the most repsected nameplates in Europe. Besides, if not for anything else, it will be a great image boost. Trust me they need it.

Anyway back to topic!

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 08-18-2006, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

A 4door coupe wouldn't be that bad for Ford, especially if it will look like the Iosis.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:48 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Mate, the cars you are talking about are all expensive premium coupes, way above what a ford Capri would (or could) be. Different league already competing with Porsche (Cayman & Boxter)

On the other hand the Rx-8 as a 4 door coupe showed that you don't need a premium brand to sell a different car.

A Capri would compete with the Scirocco, i agree, but then again VW is entering an abandoned market - as I stated before, no more Celica, Prelude, Calibra, Mazda MX-3 & 6, Ford Probe.
Nothing left as people turned towards SUVs and Roadsters, and also the Scirocco has to prove successful first - remember, VW Coupes haven't sold well since the MK. I Scirocco (and even that just in it's first years till the GTI apeared), so i don't think Ford HAS to follow.

ANd for the 4-door COupe: If they build the Iosis as a Mondeo Coupe, im 99 % sure that would sell plus give the whole range a nice image push, move it closer to premiums like Audi A4 or Passat.

(ANd don't forget that in Germany [& Austria] VW is a fleet brand, just like Ford in the UK - not half as premium as in some other markets)

Old 08-18-2006, 08:40 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Default Re: (mick78)

Ford does not want to be considered premium just yet, thats my whole arguement. Ppl give VW such a bashing because it pretends to be premium, then think about how reactions to a Ford will be. I gave the example of the RX-8 as a good choice 10 times already. You did not mention that car, u instead said somthing along the lines of CLS and the upcoming Passat 4-door coupe: completely different segments. An RX-8 and an CLS share NOTHING in common apart from the use of four doors. And in the RX-8's case, the doors are mostly a clever gimmick. Ford could still make a Coupe that can compete with Scirocco, yet also add a second row of seats or,ok, if trends demand it a few extra doors. But even if it sports 4 doors it will NOT be a CLS type of car. Now an RX-8 or TT competitor makes perfect sense for me. Forget about the price tags of the cars i mentioned b4 such as BMW's etc, im striclty talking about the type of car. And dont tell me TT's and Z4's dont sell! Im a Ford person and i know what fans of the marque want more than anything else. And that is a Capri style car and not a CLS. And as a further note im glad that Ford is escaping from their "VW wannabe" status they aquired past few years (since Mondeo Mk2). The S-Max and Galaxy proved they are on a path of their own. Sure, a Scirocco competitor could be seen as another such move to get VW market share, but its something that is in Ford's DNA and character. Even if Ford goes ahead with Iosis then i will say "awesome" sure. But not a 4-door/coupe Mondeo.At least not in the same vein as Passat coupe and CLS. At least not just yet. Iosis? Bring it on!(but id preffer Iosis name for a 4-door, not Capri)

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 08-18-2006, 04:43 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I metioned the CLS as an example for a 4 door coupe, so NOT to mix it up with the RX-8, which is sthg. between coupe and sports car. A Iosis (or whatever a Mondeo 4 d. coupe would be called) would cleary be a class or 1 1/2 below the CLS, what i meant with "below CLS". ANd VW might wish the PAssat Coupe to compete with the CLS, but that won't happen. I think a Iosis could take on a Passat coupe, even if Ford is less premium.

And even if a new Capri would mean classic Ford DNA, the question is if there is a market. Coupes sold today are rather premium (TT, Z4, CLK,...), so i guess if Ford want's a coupe to turn heads, it needs more than just a warmed up Capri.
And this is what the Iosis could be, if they dare to build it.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:55 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Not all cars should be about "reasoning". Passion and heart should still count nowadays. A lot of Ford fans would buy a Capri. Especially British.

But anyway guys, seriously now, this is a Mondeo topic so plz lets stay to that.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 08-20-2006, 03:08 PM

A Capri on a 4000-pound platform?

Nobody in Europe would want that...!

I don't want that, and I owned two original German Capris here in the US. I would like to see a small RWD car in the same mold... but I know I'll never again see that again from Ford.

Modified by 2006G35 at 7:26 PM 8/20/2006

Old 08-20-2006, 03:41 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Default Re: (2006G35)

Quote, originally posted by 2006G35 »
A Capri on a 4000-pound platform?

Nobody in Europe would want that...!

I don't want that, and I owned two original German Capris her eint he US. I would like to see a small RWD car int he same mold... but I know I'll never again see that from Ford.

4000 pound platform? What on Earth are u talking about man?
And for the 100th time we should seriously get back on topic!!!!!!

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 08-20-2006, 05:25 PM

Shelby coupe = 3950 pds. 'vert = 4100.

Yes, lets get back to the Mondeo.