Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2006, 12:40 AM

Default Re: 2007 Mazda Tribute HEV (carmaniac)

Looks American ... in a bad way. If it didn't have the Mazda, I'm sure many would've assumed it was one of those late-90s bulging American SUVs with wood-trimmings and cheap leather.

And I guess Mazda decided to follow Toyota and upsize what was supposed to be a compact SUV. I dunno why they thought it necessary to give it a Landcruiser-sized body. There is a market for 5-seaters and making it large enough to fit an extra two seats isn't a very good idea, especially since Mazda has other similar-sized SUVs.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:45 AM

Default Re: 2007 Mazda Tribute HEV (Hokit)

Quote, originally posted by Hokit »
Looks American ... in a bad way. If it didn't have the Mazda, I'm sure many would've assumed it was one of those late-90s bulging American SUVs with wood-trimmings and cheap leather.

And I guess Mazda decided to follow Toyota and upsize what was supposed to be a compact SUV. I dunno why they thought it necessary to give it a Landcruiser-sized body. There is a market for 5-seaters and making it large enough to fit an extra two seats isn't a very good idea, especially since Mazda has other similar-sized SUVs.

Its not that big. Its still a compact.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:48 AM

Default Re: 2007 Mazda Tribute HEV (Hokit)

Quote, originally posted by Hokit »

The answer is that it IS American! It's simply a rebadged Ford Escape:

http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=21673

The new Escape/Tribute is no bigger than the old one...which means it's still the size of a Honda CR-V.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:05 AM

Okay - to everyone that doesn't understand why this vehicle exists:

Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner were going to be redesigned. It really didn't add that much to the budget to come out with a Mazda version - no additional testing needed.

Therefore - why not? Now they can say they have a hybrid.

Old 12-25-2006, 07:23 PM

Tribute = Escape = Mariner. All clones.

What really bothers me here is that the press releases Mazda has been sending out say the Tribute is "all new". Reality is that it's a re-skin, done on the cheap. Same exact suspension, drivetrain, engines. Absolute minimum spent. And, yes, there were even a few Hybrid Tributes built in the last model year, too.

There is absolutely nothing new here.

And something new is very much needed in the drivetrain. I've driven several of the latest ones recently, and we have one in the family too. That drivetrain is crude and tired. The transmission is especially tired - with only 4 gears it should be a cheapo GM vehicle. And the transmission tuning is terrible - it takes forever to downshift and upshifts are slow.

I'm dissapointed. You may remember this vehicle started out at the top when it was introduced. C&Ds initial tests of it showed great stats - especially handling and braking. But, too typical of Ford, very few updates and improvements were made during its lifetime. Sure, the brakes got a little bigger on the V-6 models, but you couldn't tell by driving one. And Billy Ford got his hybrid out, not that it saved his reputation.

So typical of Ford. They have a product that is competitive with nothing. The Honda is put together far better, the Toyota has better engines all around (especially the V-6 - WOW!). There doesn't seem to be much reason to buy a Tribute, Escape, or Mariner.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:05 PM

Default Re: (2006G35)

It's funny how car companies exaggerate when describing their cars.

Quote, originally posted by Mazda's USA website describing the 2007 Tribute »
Classically styled, five-spoke 16-inch alloy wheels grace the Mazda Tribute's hubs. But they're more than good-looking - their lightweight construction lowers the unsprung weight of the vehicle, which helps improve handling.

The silver ringed gauge cluster reflects Mazda's sporty design style. High-mounted audio and climate controls, which keep your angle of sight close to the road, reflect Mazda's focus on driving performance.

The Mazda Tribute s is powered by a more powerful 3.0-liter DOHC V6 engine that produces 200 horsepower and 193 lb.-ft. of torque. A 60-degree V-angle helps cancel out much of the vibration from the crankshaft. All-aluminum construction helps keep the engine's weight low, and contributes to the vehicle's excellent power-to-weight ratio.

The Mazda Tribute i is powered by a 2.3-liter DOHC 16-valve inline four-cylinder engine. With 153 horsepower and 152 lb.-ft. of torque, the engine delivers a perfect blend of cruising power and low-speed pickup. All-aluminum construction helps keep the engine's weight low, while its stiff structure reduces engine vibration.

The five-speed manual transmission that is standard on the Mazda Tribute i, features Mazda's legendary smooth, short-throw shifting linkage. The high-positioned shift knob gives a sporty driving feel. A four-speed automatic transmission is available for Mazda Tribute i models, and standard on Mazda Tribute s models. This smooth-shifting automatic transmission features "logical" shift control unit that maintains a lower gear on steep inclines, eliminating the "gear hunting" that many other transmissions experience on such terrain.

You'll appreciate the Tribute's impressive fuel efficiency numbers, especially when you're off-roading in the middle of nowhere.

On-road. Off-road. Smooth terrain. Rough terrain. Flat, steep, rocky, soft... wherever you take the Mazda Tribute, one thing is certain; you'll have fun driving there. Equipped with a high-performing, lightweight engine and a four-wheel independent suspension that's tuned for superior handling dynamics, the Mazda Tribute is ready for your greatest adventures... including that road trip to the in-law's house.

Just pointing it out.

New email address! VT8919@gmail.com. Old one still works, but I use my Playstation 3 much more for internet.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:19 AM
CSS Veteran

Default 2008 Mazda Tribute Hybrid

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/0...ybrid/

Photo Gallery:

http://www.autobloggreen.com/p...d-suv/

Old 01-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: 2008 Mazda Tribute Hybrid (Gian86)

Dated, boring, bad for Zoom-Zoom.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:55 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: 2008 Mazda Tribute Hybrid (the1)

I'm not too satisfied with it either but it's not bad. It's certainly going to being in some customers who looked for a Tribute, found out the Tribute was discontinued, didn't like the CX-7's style, but found out later there is a heavily facelifted version of the Tribute. There are certainly alot of people out there who look for that albeit I still feel this is the only Mazda that doesn't fit in the line-up.