There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2005, 04:22 AM
CARSRTHEWORLD

Default 2006 Ford Mondeo

Article from AutoCar:

Quote »
Ford has scrapped its styling work on the 2006 Mondeo, as a prelude to a more radical approach to design. The Mk3 Mondeo, on sale in late 2006, is understood to now have a sportier profile than todays model with many more styling lines on the body and more distinctive lights.

The new Mondeo is very radical, said an insider who has seen the car. Itll knock your socks off and you wont have seen anything like it from Ford before. This is something very different. Theres a lot more going on in the styling.

The new corporate face has been inspired by the three-bar grille and square lamps on Fords new US models, but it will be executed very differently on European cars. The new Mondeo has been created in the past five months under the control of styling director Martin Smith. It is his first major new car since moving to Ford from GM.

Ford Europe boss Lewis Booth is said to be a strong backer of the new styling direction. He has demanded more excitement in Fords European offerings.

The Mondeo will need to be visually inspiring to battle the next Vauxhall Vectra, whose styling will be influenced by the rakish American-market Saturn Aura. Fords current styling direction aped VWs upmarket looks, and its recent US models  criticised in the American press  used the same theme.

Source: AutoCar
Old 01-29-2005, 07:19 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Any rumors of the Mondeo sprouting a new Forduar to replace the X type Jag?
Old 01-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Ford Verve Concept

OMG, i cant cait. Thank god they are using the elements of the Ford 3 bar grille and headlights. I want some pictures...OMG, i already want this car!
Old 01-30-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: (mzoltarp)

Quote, originally posted by mzoltarp »
Any rumors of the Mondeo sprouting a new Forduar to replace the X type Jag?

Well, yes. The next Mondeo is said to use a stretched version of the new Focus platform, which will also be used for the next Volvo S60 and Jag X-type. The top versions of the Mondeo would have Volvo 5 cyl turbo engines.

Old 01-30-2005, 04:56 AM
CSS Veteran

Default Re: (HondaTech)

Nah, if there's going to be a successor to the X-Type, it will be on a shortened version of the current XJ chassis.

Keep it inhouse, reduce cost, avoid contamination.

Interesting to hear the Mondeo is going to be more radical, seeing as the Focus went all bland. Mind you, look where they both started out. Maybe they'll meet in the middle.

Old 01-30-2005, 05:10 AM

Default Re: (pcread)

Quote, originally posted by pcread »
Nah, if there's going to be a successor to the X-Type, it will be on a shortened version of the current XJ chassis.

Keep it inhouse, reduce cost, avoid contamination.

Do you know what "rumor" means? It is just the stuff we heard and we're not saying it will definitely be that way.

Also, do you have your back up on the fact the the X-type will be based on the XJ? As far as I know, it's the next S-type that will be based on the XJ. To shorten it further to make the X-type is like saying a BMW 3 series will use a shortened 7 series chassis, doesn't make sense at all.

Mind you, look where they both started out. Maybe they'll meet in the middle.

I have no idea what you're saying here.

Modified by HondaTech at 4:16 AM 1/30/2005

Modified by HondaTech at 4:18 AM 1/30/2005

Old 01-30-2005, 05:45 AM
CSS Veteran

Default Re: (HondaTech)

Jeeez.

OK. What have we learned about Jaguar sharing floorpans with Fords and Lincolns, however different these components may be in situ? Pedants call out "rebadge!" and sales suffer.

Yes, the S-Type will no doubt be on a shortened XJ chassis. And the XK replacement. And the wheelbase of the XK is? What, about eight and a half feet, nine? Same size as an X-Type, give or take an inch or so.
According to the German magazine autobild, not me.

And as to the other matter. The Mondeo was always seen as rather bland, stylingwise. The first Focus was quite adventurous in the looks department. Now the Focus has become blander and the Mondeo is (according to this article, more radical.

I'm just saying, and if it's too hard to grasp, then sorry, that a toned down Focus might be as interesting as a souped up Mondeo.

Old 01-30-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Re: (pcread)

Jeeez.

OK. What have we learned about Jaguar sharing floorpans with Fords and Lincolns, however different these components may be in situ? Pedants call out "rebadge!" and sales suffer.

I may not be the most calm member on this site(I don't see why I have to be), but I'm calm enough to watch my lauguage. Again, what we're talking about here is a rumor. No one says it can only be that way or whether it's a good or bad idea to share platform between differenent Ford brands, pros and cons is off topic.

I'm just saying, and if it's too hard to grasp, then sorry, that a toned down Focus might be as interesting as a souped up Mondeo.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 01-30-2005, 07:22 AM
AM2K

A lot of talk has gone on about the failure of Jag and Ford sharing platforms.. but regardless of how good the platform may be, it will never help jag reach credibility..

Thats been admitted by Jaguar bosses numerous times, hence the reason the next X-Type (if they decide to keep that style of model) will be RWD and spawn many variants (possibly even F-Type).. the two platforms i've heard are either EUCD (PAG specific platform) or shortened XJ platform (RD-6 concept shows that this is possible)...

But back to the mondeo though, i cant wait to see this new design look. The Mondeo certainly is a nice enough car, and with bold looks it will be top of the sector yet again!

Old 01-30-2005, 09:42 AM
CSS Oldtimer

There were some good chops out by Huckfeldt a while ago, but they seem to have not made it over to MK. III.