Old 07-03-2019, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

MrMGMan is on a distinguished road
Default 2020 Renault Captur

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/al...-of-evolution/
Old 07-03-2019, 05:58 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

The whole 'lets add a touch screen on top of the dash' is getting really old. Design the dash AROUND it. I just don't understand what's so hard about that notion.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:59 PM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

My concern is the screen itself. With each car--even within a brand--having different screens, what's going to happen when the screen dies and there are no parts. Is the car then totaled?
Old 07-03-2019, 09:13 PM
CSS Veteran

ROBonCARS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
My concern is the screen itself. With each car--even within a brand--having different screens, what's going to happen when the screen dies and there are no parts. Is the car then totaled?
I remember reading somewhere that manufacturers only have to support touchscreen firmware for like 5 years approx. So eventually they will get so out of date that they won't work at all which will be fun in the cars where the heater controls etc are within the touchscreen system.

If it's old and French or anything BLARG I'm on it.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:46 AM
Mahindra Fan

Shogun76 is on a distinguished road

If the touch screen on the dash was a bit smaller it wouldn't look so weird. Other than that small hiccup it's a stunning little SUV and shows how evolutionary styling can work wonders.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:50 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun76 View Post
If the touch screen on the dash was a bit smaller it wouldn't look so weird. Other than that small hiccup it's a stunning little SUV and shows how evolutionary styling can work wonders.
It definitely is a nice evolution (though IMO the current Captur is still a great looking car), and has the right amount of "More modern" added; The screen is indeed huge, and I wish the trend would go to better integration, but I guess we are in a "look how big it is" period; I also love when premium car makers define "tech" as touchscreens, because no other car has them today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Oh that will be fun, especially in cars where there are hardly any hardware controls left (newest Audis, e.g., or Range Rovers with 3 screens); It's also amazing to see that it#s not exactly the companies with an image for trouble free electronics (see the examples before, plus french car makers) who seem to be most obsessed with eliminating switch gear and adding more screens and software bling.

Technically, it will be hard to maintain these cars beyond a certain age, especially on the software side once support ends (a screen can be repaired or changed to a certain degree), and especially taking into account that the more tech you add, the less a non official workshop will be able to do once out of warranty, and the official dealership repair bills will quickly total even a used premium car.

And it will be even more fun to maintain them as vintage cars; I recently read how the first generation of cars with a lot of electronics in them (examples were R129 Mercedes SL and the original BMW 850i) are not as quickly gaining value as other cars of comparable pedigree (or predecessors), as their software is basically not repairable once things break. People probably know the story how McLaren still carries a 1980ies Laptop Computer around to maintain the legendary F1s, because it's the only computer that still has the (ancient) interface and can run the software required; I doubt that mass producers will have software and interface (and someone who can operate an update) that for every special edition compact CUV around in 15 years....
Old 07-04-2019, 08:30 AM
CSS Oldtimer

haji is on a distinguished road

https://www.netcarshow.com/renault/2020-captur/