Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2007, 05:33 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

Being a Pontiac man of sorts, this news, I like
If the G8 is based on the larger version Commodore Caprice/Statesman, along with the upcoming Chevrolet and Buick, then it'll be a nice-sized, approx. 205" vehicle, the same as a LWB BMW 7-series, Jag XJ and Benz S-class! A truer return to the large, all-American full-sized/luxury sedan.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: (ricerammer)

Quote, originally posted by ricerammer »
Thank you. I'm getting sick and tired of this alphanumeric crap. For God's sake give the cars actual names.

What would you have them use? Pontiac doesn't really have any names that haven't been soured by poor quality and crummy designs. They probably did a study and G8 rated higher than any other names. (plus a new name jibes with the idea of the G8 being a whole new type of pontiac, instead of a new type of pontiac with an old name)

Quote, originally posted by knicks125 »
Tail: http://www.worldcarfans.com/sp...ix-g8

Rest, same as above:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/sp...ix-g8

Definitely the US version. The different position of the license plate holder is a giveaway.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:50 AM
CSS Oldtimer

this looks like a Statesman built on the shorter Commodore wheelbase.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: (mick78)

The following was written in today's Sydney Morning Herald.

AUSTRALIA'S biggest-selling car, the Holden Commodore, will be exported to the US, it has been unofficially confirmed at the Detroit motor show.

The announcement was not due to be made until the Chicago motor show next month, but the worldwide head of product development at General Motors, Bob Lutz, gave away more than he was supposed to during a news conference.

Just minutes after Holden officials refused to answer questions about the Commodore's export program, Mr Lutz revealed details about the deal.

The Commodore SS, a V8- powered sports sedan, will be sold as a Pontiac from late this year or early next year.

Holden expects to export 30,000 Commodores annually, about half what it sells locally.

"We are seriously planning to import a lot of Commodore SS sedans as Pontiac G8s," Mr Lutz said, adding that Holden could export up to 50,000 Commodores a year if the model was priced correctly.

Mr Lutz said the export of the Holden Monaro as a Pontiac GTO from 2003 to last year (during which 40,000 of the V8 coupes were sold) brought Holden's expertise to the attention of its parent company, General Motors in North America.

"We are yet to officially announce it," Mr Lutz said of the Commodore export deal, once he realised that he had made a faux pas.

He eventually admitted that selling the V8 version of the Commodore in the US was such a logical thing to do as it filled a void in Pontiac's line-up.

"While [the Monaro's] export program may not have fulfilled all of our hopes and dreams in terms of profitability and volume, it did break the ice on global programs."

Old 01-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

This is good news for Pontiac. The Gran Prix needs to go. It is old and the G6 is far superior in just about every way.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:47 PM
CSS Veteran

Default Re: (Ray)

That's good news for american market. I hope Pontiac's version will look great like Australia's commodore.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:57 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to against the wall
Default Re: (Gian86)

yayayayayay im really excited for this. ill take the e series engine with the ssv body as g8 gxp anyday...

No - against the wall
Old 01-08-2007, 08:18 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

This is indeed great news
I wonder, though, will there be some unique changes in details and sheetmetal to identify this vehicle as a Pontiac? I also wonder what the size and specs will be, how it'll compare to the outgoing, front-drive Grand Prix. It has to be larger than the G6. I'm sure the powerplants, both V6 and V8 editions, will be amazing.
We'll have to wait and see, unless this does appear at Chicago. I believe I saw or read something somewhere along those lines, I hope that would be true. Also, I believe Pontiac wants a Zeta-based coupe as a Camaro counterpart:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/20...ebird/
Old 01-08-2007, 08:29 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to against the wall
Default Re: (63Bonneville)

cough gto cough

No - against the wall
Old 01-08-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: (against the wall)

Wally has a point.
We Australians saw the Monaro as an extremely well styled and uncluttered coupe, but our American friends saw the early GTO as plain boring. We look at the same car but see different things. We say clean, and you say boring. So the bonnet scoops and sculpted air dams came along.
Almost all Australian car enthusiasts think the Commodore is spot-on for visual appeal, but the Pontiac version will need to have swoopier lines and more sculpted sides than the Commodore if enough Americans are to buy it and break the 15,000 units per year mark that the GTO couldn't.
The half-Commodore half-Statesman proto shown earlier just doesn't look right on its own, and certainly won't look right, even with a different grille and bumper, on American roads.
Great car underneath though.

Modified by Ray at 8:19 PM 1/8/2007