Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2010, 07:01 AM
CSS Veteran

VW could use the same 1.6T petrol engine they are going to be using in the WTCC and use it in their WRC program. It would be nice to see Skoda and VW compete in the WRC together, even if the Fabia WRC is used by privateers. I even think the new Mini WRC would be more competitive than a VW WRCar. VW will announce their decision after Dakar 2011. They will compete in the Dakar 2011, but for 2012, there would be new regs and they might move the Dakar back to Africa, which VW doesn't find appealing. WRC could work for them, but VW hasn't had successful rally programs in the past save for Dakar.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:11 PM
CSS Veteran

Olivier Quesnel sez that Mini will join the WRC in 2011 while VW will join in 2012 with the Scirocco.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:36 AM
CSS Veteran

I still don't think VW will have a successful rally program. They will be the next Suzuki and Hyundai in the WRC. I think a underfunded Mini program from Prodrive will be more successful than a VW WRC team. VW's attitude towards motorsport is wrong. Even Toyota would do better in the WRC than VW. Toyota has the all or nothing approach when it comes to rallying. Then again, I don't know as Ove Andersson the mastermind behinds TTE's rally team has been dead for the past few years.

http://rallye-info.com/forum/viewtop...&start=20#p639
Old 06-08-2010, 10:17 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMiNo View Post
They're already sweeping WTCC with the SEAT Leon...why would they enter a VW team too?
VW can use the same engine for Seat's WTCC program in addition to the WRC.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:21 AM
CSS Veteran

I've heard that Toyota visited Rallye Portugal and asked a bunch of team managers a bunch of information related to the WRC. Toyota might consider a comeback to the WRC. It would be nice if Toyota went back into rallying since Ove Andersson's death. I hope they use K AM number plates, as thats what Ove Andersson used and it would make a good tribute to him. I bet he would be very proud if Toyota went back into rallying. Toyota is also considering the IRC, but there are rumors of Jean Todt merging the IRC into the WRC. Toyota visited IRC Sardegna and Monte Carlo in addition to WRC Rallye Portugal.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:33 PM
CSS Veteran

VW is now considering the WRC again, and rumors are pointing out that they will join the WRC in 2012 with a Scirocco.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:39 AM
CSS Veteran

VW might do the WRC in 2013, now with a Golf. Probably the Golf VII. VW will never be successful in the WRC, and this will never change.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:14 PM
CSS Veteran

A long time has passed since the last post. VW has been looking into the WRC, and Kris Nissen said it's a good idea to join the WRC. It would likely be a Polo, but a Scirocco or Golf WRC is possible. VW might be joining sometime in 2012 for a partial season, with 2013 being their first full season with the car. VW might still do the Dakar alongside the WRC program, at least in the short term. 2012 could very well be their last Dakar as a works team. VW could still continue on in Dakar as a private team or semi works team. I've also heard that the program is all but final, and that VW just needs to announce it. The car has supposedly been in development for quite some time, but who knows.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Seems silly to have both Skoda and VW competing in rally.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:11 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMiNo View Post
Seems silly to have both Skoda and VW competing in rally.
In any arena; who would VW truly compete with if it wasn't constantly shooting itself in the foot while in pursuit of grenading it's own tail?