CSS Oldtimer

Talking 2013 Toyota Crown / Royal Saloon / Athlete / Hybrid

http://response.jp/special/recent/709/
Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 AM
CSS Oldtimer

when will the horror end!?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:33 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Is this real? The grille on the Crown Athlete is asymmetrical....
Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 AM
Nondescript Member

Send a message via MSN to anonms

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
Is this real? The grille on the Crown Athlete is asymmetrical....
It's not; the angle makes it look asymmetrical.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:46 AM

I think the Crown athlete's grille is better than that one on the Royal series that looks like harelip with nose & lips integrated. Hideous!
Btw, isn't that the old Crown interior? Looks the same for me..
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombardier View Post
I think the Crown athlete's grille is better than that one on the Royal series that looks like harelip with nose & lips integrated. Hideous!
Btw, isn't that the old Crown interior? Looks the same for me..
no, it is all new... if you look better you will see it looks similar to venza and new rav4 with that centre console that pulls out... except that here they use a lot better materials.

edit: it is the "same", i forgot how it looked... since Crown was introduced in 2009, this is its first refresh. Just probably a lot more leather inside.

Last edited by spwolfx; 11-19-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 AM
CSS Veteran

here are few more interesting things that i posted on Club Lexus.... This is RWD version of Camry Hybrid's engine, with D4S fuel injection... It will go into IS300h and GS300h in Europe. For IS300h they already said it will generate less than 99g/km of CO2, which means fuel consumption of around 40 MPG in US (similar to Prius v, which actually creates 101g/km in Europe)

For Japan, Response is saying that this JDM Crown will have consumption of 0.2km/l more than Camry Hybrid in Japan, which is great as Camry is actually smaller car and much lighter - Crown is based on Lexus GS platform. Of course, you cant easily transfer the mpg, even if you compare same vehicles like I do, but it is quite possible that GS300h would have 39/40 EPA MPG while IS300h could get 42 MPG. It seems that it should be the case because aero properties are about the same between two cars.

As to the HP, Camry's FWD 2.5 AR-FXE engine has 160hp, while this JDM Crown is reported as 178hp. Total output of Camry is 200hp. So 218hp for IS300h/GS300h? Maybe... but for those that dont follow hybrids much, limiting part is battery not motors. In Camry, main electric motor is 143hp, but the battery cant output that much... is Camry it does 40hp but in GS450h output is 52hp. I believe M35h lion output is 60hp.

So what is the possible hp? Anywhere from 215 to 238hp for IS/GS300h... My Lexus Europe guys told me that they were told 240hp when they tested the car early this year, so it could be possible...
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 AM
CSS Oldtimer

It's so obvious that those tasteless and horrendous grilles are meant to make an otherwise rather bland (though not initially unattractive) design more interesting. However, they end up ruining it.

As I understand, the Crown looks rather conservative, as the sedan buying crowd in Japan is conservative as well. Do they really like these grilles? Or if someone wishing a frontend like this, wouldn't he prefer a more flamboyant design elsewhere on the car as well?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
It's so obvious that those tasteless and horrendous grilles are meant to make an otherwise rather bland (though not initially unattractive) design more interesting. However, they end up ruining it.

As I understand, the Crown looks rather conservative, as the sedan buying crowd in Japan is conservative as well. Do they really like these grilles? Or if someone wishing a frontend like this, wouldn't he prefer a more flamboyant design elsewhere on the car as well?
there are several different Crown models... Majesta is more conservative, Royal less and Athlete is supposed to be for young people.

Of course, this is Japanese design for Japanese markets. Crown series outsells complete lineup of Lexus (in Japan), which is built to American tastes (as well as BMW, MB, Audi), so as usual design is very subjective.

I actually like Athlete a lot.

Last edited by spwolfx; 11-19-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Just weird.