Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2017, 01:50 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
What is the most compelling car in this segment then?
Illogical. Compelling is 100% a subjective assessment, not objective.

Objective is a comparison of sales and Volvo desperately needs sales to remain viable in the US market where it is in deep danger relative to the brands it is targeting. The XC90 and the S90 have failed to cause the kind of volume increase needed to sustain the brand. I'm speaking numbers NOT percentages that seem to say something when they say nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
The XC60 has been the best selling ...even if some might think as"that doesn't count"...
I'm sure you spend a lot of time worrying about how well cars sell in the USA. You don't waste a nanosecond on such thoughts because the US marker is of no relevance to you, so don't act all hurt when I focus on what is before me just as you do in the European market.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:04 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I'm sure you spend a lot of time worrying about how well cars sell in the USA. You don't waste a nanosecond on such thoughts because the US marker is of no relevance to you, so don't act all hurt when I focus on what is before me just as you do in the European market.
Actually I do follow US sales, and most European car magazines regularly report them too; But it appears to me that many US car fans think the world ends outside their borders, or perhaps China is still there (it is a huge business opportunity and the largest market, but also very regulated). Inside Europe German car magazines (representing the biggest inner European market and car making nation) tend to have a similar, focused on the local market only view too, though, in terms of "if it is not tailor made for here, it must be bad" or "if it doesn't sell here, it's rubbish..."

This is the reason I argued that while it might not be the best selling CUV in the US, it is globally in it's segment; In many ways, it will be a tough call fro any car maker, especially a small one like Volvo, to have a car that works in say US, Europe and ASEAN regions well alike sales wise, with especially the US having different requirements to other markets in terms of size, engines and equipment, so a global success will not excel in one specific market, but do well everywhere.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
But it appears to me that many US car fans think the world ends outside their borders,
I sure hope this does not surprise you in the least, and this is certainly not limited to the subject of cars. If one doesn't feel the need/curiosity to see beyond one's backyard, what makes you believe whatever happens there matters to them?

Last edited by cowboysnkisses; 03-13-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:12 PM

I know I'm relatively new here, but I am making an appeal to try to keep the board relatively politics- free (as least if it doesn't involve the auto industry).
Old 03-13-2017, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
I know I'm relatively new here, but I am making an appeal to try to keep the board relatively politics- free (as least if it doesn't involve the auto industry).
apologies - fixed. unfortunately once politics entered this forum, it made it hard for me not to put some comments into perspective. In a way, it all makes "sense" now, and I can take some comments and ...well, I wish I had a way to hide them ;) and just get to the pictures. LOL.

Last edited by cowboysnkisses; 03-13-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysnkisses View Post
apologies - fixed.
Appreciated.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:50 PM
NISMO by another name..

This thing is a stunner in person. As already mentioned, it's the top seller in its' segment in the European market and actually has had its' sales increase every year in the US, so I think it's safe to say that this will be a win for them.

Volvo is primed to do well in this crossover market with the already successful XC90 and now this new XC60. The upcoming XC40 and cross country models are just icing on the cake.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:46 PM

Pricing announced. The headline is misleading, since the text of the article says that the T5 will start at $41,500. That's more than a Mercedes GLC. And it's only $2000 than a Lexus RX350. It's not much more than the current car, but I can't imagine that the XC60 will have much of a market impact in the U.S....

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/vo...cing-new-xc60/
Old 05-17-2017, 10:59 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
will start at $41,500. That's more than a Mercedes GLC. And it's only $2000 than a Lexus RX350. It's not much more than the current car, but I can't imagine that the XC60 will have much of a market impact in the U.S....

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/vo...cing-new-xc60/
I think you'd be crazy not to look at this if you were going to buy a Q5 or GLC or any other car in the segment.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:17 PM

In Europe new Volvos are really expensive -on par with the Germans, and they do sell very good.
XC 90 is 2nd best selling model in its segment (really close to the leading X5) and S90/V90 is #4 (the best of the rest and probably the closest to E-class/5-series and A6 as any car has ever been in recent years.

But no surprise here - especially the V90 looks amazing.