Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2008, 03:30 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Default Opel Insignia wins European Car Of The Year

The Insignia won with only 1 point over the Fiesta!

In one of the closest contests ever Vauxhall's Insignia has emerged on top - but only just. With a score of 321 it beat the new Ford Fiesta by one point. The latest car to come from the Luton-based manufacturer received 20 first place votes out of 59 compared to 19 received by the Fiesta.

This year 37 cars were put forward for COTY, with just seven short-listed for the ultimate award. Each contender must be on sale in at least five European countries. The Insignia is the first Vauxhall to scoop the award since the Carlton/Omega in 1987. The news couldn't have come at a better time for GM in light of its ongoing financial troubles, which have resulted in the company meeting with the German government to discuss plans for a bail-out

autoexpress

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 11-18-2008, 03:47 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Oh and may i add that GM should just name the brand Opel in the UK as well. Sorry, i know some Brits don't like this but i find it silly for magazines to say "the latest car to come from the Luton-based manufacturer" cause, unless i am mistaken, the car was designed and engineered at Opel headquarters in Germany right? And no one announced that the Vauxhall Insignia won, but the Opel Insignia. So why all this confusion, it is unlike any other brand in Europe. Just call them Opels amd perhaps that will imporove the brand's image.
Sorry for this quick fit!
Other than that , even though i don't think the insignia was THE best of the bunch, its a great car and definitely a major improvement over the one it replaces. With the same logic though the Mondeo deserved the award even more when it was nominated as it was an excellent car. (yeah yeah fan boy). As AE says though this could not have happened at a better time for Opel, they truly needed some awards and the Insignia and new Corsa are 2 exceptionally good cars

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 11-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Auto emocionado

I love the new insignia, one of my new favourite cars. No other car deserved to win more than it, for the effort involved designing it, for the improvement over the vectra and for its new technology. The fiesta got a well deserved 2nd place.

Just to be clear, Opel won. Not, Vauxhall, not Buick, not the up and coming Saturn ect. Auto Express, Opel not Vauxhall. Dont care if it is the same except for the badges. Opel won!
Old 11-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Auto emocionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
Oh and may i add that GM should just name the brand Opel in the UK as well. Sorry, i know some Brits don't like this but i find it silly for magazines to say "the latest car to come from the Luton-based manufacturer" cause, unless i am mistaken, the car was designed and engineered at Opel headquarters in Germany right? And no one announced that the Vauxhall Insignia won, but the Opel Insignia. So why all this confusion, it is unlike any other brand in Europe. Just call them Opels amd perhaps that will imporove the brand's image.
Sorry for this quick fit!
Other than that , even though i don't think the insignia was THE best of the bunch, its a great car and definitely a major improvement over the one it replaces. With the same logic though the Mondeo deserved the award even more when it was nominated as it was an excellent car. (yeah yeah fan boy). As AE says though this could not have happened at a better time for Opel, they truly needed some awards and the Insignia and new Corsa are 2 exceptionally good cars
Not from my part. I think exactly the same thing. GM should either give vauxhall its individuality like it once had and sell it round the world like it once did. Or, completely scrap Vauxhall, Buick and Saturn and Opel should become a world wide brand. Otherwise, ill just keep calling the new models the GM i.e the GM Insignia.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:28 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Good to see you agree :) And yeah, honestly the Insignia deserved to win although if it was up to me i would have voted for the XF. The Insignia, as you said, was a giant leap forward in this segment for Opel, following the mediocre Vectra and the horrible Mk1 and Mk2 Vectras before it. The Fiesta is no doubt a great car and i would have liked it to have come first place as well second place is really good as well and, besides, the Mazda2 was on last year's award list and although the Ford is a big improvement over it i knew it would be tought to get first place - yet with only one point difference it came MIGHTY close!

Oh one more thing: the only journalist which did not give the Fiesta any votes was from Germany, Mr Georg Kacher. If he had given the Ford even one point it would have been a tie cause most journalists gave it high points

MAKE
MINE
FORD

Last edited by CosworthKid; 11-18-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:36 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

SO:

1. Opel Insignia - 321

2. Ford Fiesta - 320

3. Volkswagen Golf - 223

4. Citroen C5 - 198
5. Alfa Romeo Mi.to - 148
6. Skoda Superb - 144
7. Renault Megane - 121

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 11-18-2008, 05:39 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Fair result. Very fond of the Insignia's interior, but not keen on the name. The exterior is growing on me though. A world away from all the Cavalectras you see.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:41 PM
CSS Oldtimer

... The XF should be on that list IMO.
Was the Ka a contender, or was it's launch date too late?
Old 11-18-2008, 05:47 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

The Jag was on the list of contenders but the Ka was not, perhaps its cause it does not go on sale till early next year. The Scirocco is another surprise for me..

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 11-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Ford Verve Concept

Good job. It, the Fiesta and XF are all great cars so one had to win. Personally, the XF I think should have won, second the Insignia and third the Fiesta, but the Insignia is such a transformation from the Vectra I can easily see why it won. The Fiesta is just another Fiesta, the old one wasn't too bad, but both the Insignia and XF have shed their skin and will hopefully do well for both companies. Very close call though..