CarSpyShots
Quick Member Login:
Forgot password?
Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:


There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Hokit Hokit is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
The outside is a disappointment; pleasant enough but devoid of character, unlike the current and previous Yaris - I've actually always thought that the current Yaris hatch was just about the best-looking car in Toyota's entire lineup, let down only by its cheap finish. The fact that it was designed in France was readily apparent; this new car looses all of that funkiness, sadly.

The interior on the other hand is a vast improvement over the current car's. The awful centrally-mounted gauges are gone, thank God, and I rather like the dash design. Knowing Toyota, though, it's entirely likely that the materials are sh*t...
Cheap? Please. I'm a proud owner of a two-year old Yaris and its materials and fit-and-finish have proved problem-free. Granted, the LOOK of the console may not be to everyone's taste, but the functions are well designed and organised in a way that's easy to use. Plus I like how the speedometer is mounted on the centre and at an angle, which makes it easier to keep an eye on the road while checking the speed and fuel gauge.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 PM
SV's Avatar
SV SV is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokit View Post
Cheap? Please. I'm a proud owner of a two-year old Yaris and its materials and fit-and-finish have proved problem-free. Granted, the LOOK of the console may not be to everyone's taste, but the functions are well designed and organised in a way that's easy to use. Plus I like how the speedometer is mounted on the centre and at an angle, which makes it easier to keep an eye on the road while checking the speed and fuel gauge.
I didn't say the Yaris isn't reliable. By all accounts it's a supremely trouble-free car. What I did say was that it looks cheap, i.e. designed to a cost, without much thought put into tactile quality or aesthetic satisfaction. Which is honestly par for the course for Toyota, at least for the last 5 years or so.

Also, I think you're in the minority concerning the centrally-mounted gauges.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Nath's Avatar
Nath Nath is offline
CSS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 1,357
Default

Japanese car, poor perceived quality but great build quality
German car, Great perceived quality but very questionable real world quality
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-08-2010, 12:40 AM
2o6 2o6 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
I didn't say the Yaris isn't reliable. By all accounts it's a supremely trouble-free car. What I did say was that it looks cheap, i.e. designed to a cost, without much thought put into tactile quality or aesthetic satisfaction. Which is honestly par for the course for Toyota, at least for the last 5 years or so.

Also, I think you're in the minority concerning the centrally-mounted gauges.
I liked them too.



The Fiesta has a tight rear seat, so that may really hurt sales. Also, don't get hyped up about initial sales. Initial sales of a new model are always strong.
__________________
Eh.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-08-2010, 06:29 AM
SV's Avatar
SV SV is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
I liked them too.



The Fiesta has a tight rear seat, so that may really hurt sales. Also, don't get hyped up about initial sales. Initial sales of a new model are always strong.
Personally, when I want to see my speed or revs, I prefer looking down slightly to looking sideways. Also, the empty feel of the dashboard in front caused by centrally-mounted gauges is mildly unsettling, IMO.

It's hard to say anything about the Fiesta's sales yet...supplies are quite constrained at the moment, in fact because Ford underestimated how many SES/SEL models would be demanded.

Why are so hung up on the Fiesta's rear seat? You seem eager to mention how much that kills the car's appeal every time the Fiesta's brought up.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-08-2010, 07:17 AM
anonms anonms is offline
Nondescript Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SFBA
Posts: 3,903
Send a message via MSN to anonms
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
I didn't say the Yaris isn't reliable. By all accounts it's a supremely trouble-free car. What I did say was that it looks cheap, i.e. designed to a cost, without much thought put into tactile quality or aesthetic satisfaction. Which is honestly par for the course for Toyota, at least for the last 5 years or so.

Also, I think you're in the minority concerning the centrally-mounted gauges.
The current Yaris' dash actually isn't designed too poorly as far as aesthetics go. It's certainly not as low-rent looking as the previous Fit's dash.

That said, I'm personally not too hung up on where the gauges are, which I guess puts me in the minority as well. My peripheral vision's pretty good (one thing I liked about the Prius' speedometer placement was how I could see it without having to look down or to the side).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-08-2010, 09:25 PM
2o6 2o6 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
Personally, when I want to see my speed or revs, I prefer looking down slightly to looking sideways. Also, the empty feel of the dashboard in front caused by centrally-mounted gauges is mildly unsettling, IMO.

It's hard to say anything about the Fiesta's sales yet...supplies are quite constrained at the moment, in fact because Ford underestimated how many SES/SEL models would be demanded.

Why are so hung up on the Fiesta's rear seat? You seem eager to mention how much that kills the car's appeal every time the Fiesta's brought up.
Because that is what a lot of Americans care about. The Fiesta's rear seat is cramped, while the rest of the competiton has very spacious rear seating.
__________________
Eh.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-08-2010, 10:00 PM
TdeV TdeV is offline
Crazy Composer!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
Because that is what a lot of Americans care about. The Fiesta's rear seat is cramped, while the rest of the competition has very spacious rear seating.
I am 6'4 and just test drove a Fiesta today. What an amazing vehicle! It feel solid, responsive but not sensitive, and is by the far the top of the competition as far as I'm concerned. It will really sell well to the youth-audience it is intended for. The rear seat issue is not as big of a deal as most people think it is. I sat in the back after my run, and though it's a bit cramped, it is still really comfortable. The seat material and angle makes the little space bearable. As for space at the front, the passenger seat was pretty average. Quite comfortable material. But man driving it, space galore! It was the most fun I've had driving anything, and I may consider buying one to be honest.

This is where I'm coming from when I say this does not stand a chance against the Fiesta. Even if the new Yaris was to match the quality and stability of the Fiesta, it would not have fighting chance due to the way it looks inside through out.
__________________
Singer-Songwriter | Trevor de Verteuil
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-09-2010, 01:55 AM
SV's Avatar
SV SV is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
Because that is what a lot of Americans care about. The Fiesta's rear seat is cramped, while the rest of the competiton has very spacious rear seating.
Perhaps, but for the people the Fiesta is targeted at (college students, young professionals), rear seating isn't a big issue. The car also has plenty of appeal in other areas. If you're looking for a subcompact car to schlep a family around in, I would suggest - if you simply can't go used - getting a Versa.

That and the Fit, and maybe the Soul since I suppose it's cross-shopped with these cars, are the only subcompacts I would even stretch to describing as "very spacious" by the way. The Accent, Yaris, 2, Rio, etc - all have adequate rear seating at best.

Last edited by SV; 10-09-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-09-2010, 05:48 PM
2o6 2o6 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
Perhaps, but for the people the Fiesta is targeted at (college students, young professionals), rear seating isn't a big issue. The car also has plenty of appeal in other areas. If you're looking for a subcompact car to schlep a family around in, I would suggest - if you simply can't go used - getting a Versa.

That and the Fit, and maybe the Soul since I suppose it's cross-shopped with these cars, are the only subcompacts I would even stretch to describing as "very spacious" by the way. The Accent, Yaris, 2, Rio, etc - all have adequate rear seating at best.
I test drove a Fit, Accent, and Yaris (3-door back to back)


The Fit makes many midsizers redundant.

The Yaris is an exceptionally spacious rear quarters.

The Accent is tight in the back.
__________________
Eh.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:44 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Black Falcon Media Group Oy