Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2011, 10:03 AM
CSS Veteran

There just is something off with the side view (probably proportions) and the rear is really ugly. I kind of like the front though. Interieur is so-so, I don't expect something special in this regard from a japanese company.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 AM
CSS Oldtimer

pick your favorite (if any)

Old 11-27-2011, 10:29 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Subaru BRZ
Old 11-27-2011, 10:50 AM

I utterly hate white taillights on any car, somebody should tell Toyota that the last decade is over, but apart from that I sort of like it, it have the spirit of the 90s Jap sport cars (together with some 92 Corolla switches on the inside).
But at least they could've botherthed to change the headlights for the Sub version, I mean, they've even added sidevents, but the headlamps are the same ?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:57 AM
CSS Oldtimer

After the tons of concepts/teasers/leaks, I miss the nivelity feel. Could ofcourse be that the not overly fresh looks of the car contribute their part as well. No that it's bad, but there is nit a single detail we haven't seen somewhere else, and overall it looks like it came out moe like 2004 or so than now.

The interior is simply bad IMO, some of the switches and the digital clock in the cetner stack look indeed they were from '86, and it looks like a random collection of parts, not so much like one person designed it actually. And I doubt that any material used in there will have a quality feel.

Surely it will be great to drive, and being a Toyota also fairly nice to own, I just wish tehy had actually invested some money into design, I think bland looks will actually cost mor ecustomers than if the car waas a few seconds slower around the Nürburg RIng.

Subaru version: So, a different badge and lower grille - even the wheels seem ti be offered on the Toyota as well - is alll we get? I guess that signals mor efuture SUbarus as well, and at some point it will be a trim level on OTyotas I guess....
Old 11-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Raconteur

Nissan will have to rethink their placement of the 370Z, I predict. With the Toyota/Scion, the Subaru, and the Genesis coupe the affordable Asian RWD coupe market is quite tasty. Either Nissan will need to create a "240Z" to go after this market and move the 370Z up market, or they will have to take the 370Z down market.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:13 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Nissan will have to rethink their placement of the 370Z, I predict. With the Toyota/Scion, the Subaru, and the Genesis coupe the affordable Asian RWD coupe market is quite tasty. Either Nissan will need to create a "240Z" to go after this market and move the 370Z up market, or they will have to take the 370Z down market.
I don't think Nissan would put 370Z down market. Doing so would put them in an even more competitive market and would degrade the car from "affordable Boxter competitor" to "expensive GT86 rival".

2 liter 200 hp RWD sport car must be a very challenging market for manufacturers. Even Toyota had to work together with Subaru. I doubt Nissan has a potential to rival the GT86.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:24 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by haji View Post
I doubt Nissan has a potential to rival the GT86.
A smaller Nissan RWD coupe/sports car has been rumoured for years and years now. They could team up with Renault ( whose Alpine brand comeback has been rumoured for years and years now... ) and sell the same car with different badges worldwide.

Oh, and if that is the Subaru... wow. Didn't even bother changing the wheels. Then again, they didn't even bother changing the engine cover.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:49 PM

Guys, the press conference for the GT86 is after the jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbJQd...&feature=feedu

(It's in english, not japanese.)
Old 11-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Administrator

I alternate between disliking this car and being simply underwhelmed by it. If the front fender weren't such a convoluted mess, the car would at least be attractive, if a bit bland. If they'd resisted the temptation to saddle it with ungainly bulging fender arches it would look like a cleaner, leaner, more athletic car. The rear is its best view, in my opinion, but I agree with the above commenter who noted that clear taillights were cool like 8 years ago (note to Toyota: fender vents are likewise long past the point of acceptable). The spoiler in these shots: tacky. The light/reflector (whatever it is) mounted low in the rear splitter: contrived. The interior: classless. It's like Toyota decided to fit too many cliches onto too small a car, and the result is design with too many incongruities. From some angles it looks like a Tiburon with a nose job.

It may be a phenomenal car to drive. Unfortunately, Toyota forgot that drivers also have to look at it.