Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 AM
Raconteur

I'd rather drive this than a Fiesta and THAT is the business case. Jack up cars like the Accent, Fiesta, Yaris, Rio, Fit, and throw on an SUV body. Price it without AWD at the same price as the donor cars and they would fly out of the dealers.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ View Post
I love it. It looks like the baby brother of Australia's Ford Territory. I really hope this comes to Australia.
It is next year :woot2:
Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 AM
Nondescript Member

Send a message via MSN to anonms

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I'd rather drive this than a Fiesta and THAT is the business case. Jack up cars like the Accent, Fiesta, Yaris, Rio, Fit, and throw on an SUV body. Price it without AWD at the same price as the donor cars and they would fly out of the dealers.
No way they'd be priced the same as the donor cars; "increased cargo capacity" is considered a feature worth charging extra over. Case in point, the current crop of cute-utes are priced at a premium over their donor cars.

That said, there'll probably a case for B-segment crossovers in maybe a generation when the current crop of C-segment vehicles get to the size of D-segment cars of yore.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:21 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Yeah these models always carry a premium over the normal hatch versions. Its not just the increased cargo but a number of small things that can hike the price

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 04-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonms View Post
No way they'd be priced the same as the donor cars...
Holy "you missed the point moment" Batman! Getting the NA market into B segment cars is a priority given CAFE and while there are more sales in the segment than before it's not anywhere near robust as it needs to be. Throwing an SUV "hat" onto a B segment hatchback would NOT cost more because sheet metal is sheet metal. Did you notice I said "Price it without AWD at the same price as the donor cars"? That would essentially sell "Fiestas" in a more palatable form. Do you suppose there would be AWD? Duhh:hammer: and would that version be more pricey and potentially more profitable? :hammer: It would be clever marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
Yeah these models always carry a premium over the normal hatch versions. Its not just the increased cargo but a number of small things that can hike the price
That is ONLY true because people have been bamboozled into thinking they should. And what increased cargo????
Old 04-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Nondescript Member

Send a message via MSN to anonms

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Holy "you missed the point moment" Batman! Getting the NA market into B segment cars is a priority given CAFE and while there are more sales in the segment than before it's not anywhere near robust as it needs to be. Throwing an SUV "hat" onto a B segment hatchback would NOT cost more because sheet metal is sheet metal. Did you notice I said "Price it without AWD at the same price as the donor cars"? That would essentially sell "Fiestas" in a more palatable form. Do you suppose there would be AWD? Duhh:hammer: and would that version be more pricey and potentially more profitable? :hammer: It would be clever marketing.
2WD C-segment crossovers still cost more than their donor cars; the likelihood of this price premium translating down to B-segment crossovers, if released in the US, would be pretty much guaranteed. You're missing the point here: the American mentality of "bigger is better" is retardedly easy to capitalize on. After all, crossovers are just station wagons on stilts. However, trying to market a miniature crossover in the US may or may not work. I don't know what the actual numbers are, but, just going by looking around, the Countryman doesn't seem to be successful, even relative to the rest of the Mini lineup. Under your plan, this car would have to be sold at a loss with no guarantee of ever taking off; Ford likely abandoned bringing over the Grand C-Max for similar reasons (in that the risk was likely ultimately deemed to not pay off).
Old 04-23-2012, 10:16 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

According to WhatCar.co.uk the EcoSport will most probably go on sale in Europe in 2015, during its mid life facelift. Apparently the interior quality isn't up to current standards and updates during the facelift period would make it more viable. I think its a BS decision. An EcoSport type vehicle would have been a potential massive seller for Ford in Europe. I don't see why they couldn't just have the car built in Europe as well (or in Turkey) and just use the Fiesta interior in it? Why does Ford Europe always wait soooo long to enter segments which are no brainers is beyond me. They think having 5 MPV's is a smarter choice than a small, affordable, funky SUV with the 1.0 EcoBoost?

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 04-24-2012, 12:27 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
According to WhatCar.co.uk the EcoSport will most probably go on sale in Europe in 2015, during its mid life facelift. Apparently the interior quality isn't up to current standards and updates during the facelift period would make it more viable. I think its a BS decision. An EcoSport type vehicle would have been a potential massive seller for Ford in Europe. I don't see why they couldn't just have the car built in Europe as well (or in Turkey) and just use the Fiesta interior in it? Why does Ford Europe always wait soooo long to enter segments which are no brainers is beyond me. They think having 5 MPV's is a smarter choice than a small, affordable, funky SUV with the 1.0 EcoBoost?
The interior looks quite similar to the Fiesta already; the controls, steering wheel and gauges are the same for one. I'm guessing the only thing holding it back from "current standards" is the lack of a soft-touch dash (from what I can tell).

I think this would be a good seller in the US too.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:05 AM

If ford can sell this at around 20k in Aus for the base spec it will probably outsell the fiesta and focus combined. Chances are it will about 26k
Old 04-24-2012, 03:34 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I think a B-SUV would be a good idea, new C-segments are actually quite big.