Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 05:53 AM
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_128 View Post
I just saw a 2004 Liberty, shame that 10 years later it looks better than a new model.
I've seen this opinion all over the web, and I don't understand it. It looks like any other bland sedan to me. Even thought the new model does too, I feel like car design in the midsize segment, and in the sedan segment in general, has really improved since then. Cars aren't just 3 boxes anymore. The way the roof resolves into the trunk with these new swoopy coupe style stuff is very attractive. The proportions on the 2004 are classic 90s-mid 2000s rounded box, with a slab side and a nose that slants down too much.

The one thing I do prefer on the older model is the general size of it. It used to be more compact, but now it's drifted into the generic 'big' range. Doesn't have the sharp sporty stance as before, but it certainly looks more elegant and aggressive in a more floaty-people-mover way.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:27 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I think what moist people liked about the old car is the clean lines (fanboys of crazy flame surfacing or chinzy detailing might clall that slab sided) and minimalistic approach to details. It did give you the impression that it was designed by one person. Put it next to a 2004 Audi A4, and neither does it look less elegant nor cheaper. Try this with the new model though (let's forget the ugly current machine), and you get the comparison.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:56 AM

I just find it plain boring. Did hope more from the teaser image!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
I've seen this opinion all over the web, and I don't understand it. It looks like any other bland sedan to me. Even thought the new model does too, I feel like car design in the midsize segment, and in the sedan segment in general, has really improved since then. Cars aren't just 3 boxes anymore. The way the roof resolves into the trunk with these new swoopy coupe style stuff is very attractive. The proportions on the 2004 are classic 90s-mid 2000s rounded box, with a slab side and a nose that slants down too much. .
I walked past one on the way home from work and it looks so much better than in the stock photos, which means I am not going to judge the new one until I see it in the metal. The fact is though a 10 year old car still looks modern and classy, which cant be said for the current model.

At least they are on the right track now. The Levorg is my fav of the new Subarus though
Old 02-07-2014, 03:09 PM
CSS Veteran

I guess I'm siding with Comrade on this one........because I actually like it as well =)

Definitely better-looking than the fifth generation model (BM5, BP9)
Old 02-07-2014, 06:51 PM
CSS Oldtimer

No pictures of the Outback?

Love their 3D printer!

http://www.subaru.com/auto-show/chicago-2014.html

Last edited by boston; 02-07-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:19 PM
CSS Oldtimer

It'll probably debut separately in NY or something considering their attempts to distinguish the two models.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz4P8nN8HS8

Video showing how Legacy getting uglier
Old 02-08-2014, 05:56 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_128 View Post
I walked past one on the way home from work and it looks so much better than in the stock photos, which means I am not going to judge the new one until I see it in the metal. The fact is though a 10 year old car still looks modern and classy, which cant be said for the current model.

At least they are on the right track now. The Levorg is my fav of the new Subarus though
The 04-09 gen looks older now (and those door handles were a bit old-fashioned even at the time) but it's still, IMO, the best-looking car Subaru has ever built. It's extremely clean, with no lines out of place, while nice touches like the projector-lenses and integrated turn signals in the wing mirrors lend it an upscale feel. Combined with the very classy, well-designed interior, I always thought it came across as a cut-price Japanese Audi or Saab. It looks like a professional automotive designer was involved in its creation, something you can't say about its successor, which was a simply appalling follow-up. This new one takes back a some of the lost ground, though. It's pretty bland, but pleasant.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:10 PM
CSS Veteran

Definitely an approvement over the current one, but still lacking in terms of proportions (as pretty much all Subarus IMO). Nice interior too, but the alu looks around the vents should be changed to the material around the clima control, too much different materials going on IMO (and I generally don't like this alu look if it isn't real)