FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 11:41 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Smile 2015 Smart ForTwo / ForFour series

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11407167...-images-leaked
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11407167...aled-by-harman
Old 07-16-2014, 12:00 PM
CSS Oldtimer

After about 10 concept cars and a felt million teasers, surprises are few, but it looks fine (though I might prefer the Twingo over the forFour). And hey, finally a Smart with a manual and a clutch
Old 07-16-2014, 12:39 PM
CSS Veteran

Who in the world should buy this over the new Twingo?
Old 07-16-2014, 12:46 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disap.ed View Post
Who in the world should buy this over the new Twingo?
The ForTwo, because it's shorter, and still looks remarkably Smart, the ForFour mostly badge followers, it really is just a Twingo in different clothing, the interior is full of Renault party (teh standard Radio, the buttons above the radio, the instrument cluster, door handles, switches and even the typical Renault gear lever), that inside it will be hard to tell a real difference in appearance.

The outside design might be an ultimate trigger (though I prefer the twinge as said), otherwise it will be hard to justify a price premium (which I bet the Samrt will carry)
Old 07-16-2014, 01:15 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I think the ForTwo is loosing more and more of its charm with every iteration.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:02 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I don't understand why the radio/nav isn't just flush with the dash instead of just hovering in front of in for no apparent reason (other than to collect dust etc behind it)
Old 07-16-2014, 07:49 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
The ForTwo, because it's shorter, and still looks remarkably Smart [...]
I heavily disagree, the one box design was it's most basic design element and they just killed it. This is about as much Smart as the first ForFour.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:06 PM
The Lurker

Hm, maybe I'm in the minority, but I think this looks really nice. The old Smarts looked so cheapy-plastic and parts bin. This has a more upscale vibe. I couldn't really care less if the shape is less one-box and now more two-box. Kinda reminds me of a tiny/squished Mini Countryman (which I like, so it actually isn't an insult believe it or not). Prefer it over the Twingo.

Interior is pretty rockin too. MotorTrend has a shot inside with a built in clip above the radio to put your phone to use as nav or whatever. That little detail seems so igneous to me for some reason.

Floating infotainment consoles are becoming more popular, but also getting more heat I see. Don't see an issue with them really. When it's executed well like here, it's a cool design aesthetic. Although I do see a dead frog yelling in that vent + console combo ...
Old 07-17-2014, 08:03 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disap.ed View Post
I heavily disagree, the one box design was it's most basic design element and they just killed it. This is about as much Smart as the first ForFour.
Probably it looked more Smartish on the first pic, at least the characteristic Trdon cell in contrasting colors is there, as is the small triangular window on the door, the characteristic door handles (the 4door seems to use standard Renault units), but I have to agree, the lack of monovolume design is disappointing, but the Samrt already started loosing it in the second (still current) generation. And technically, it's pure Renault, with the Renault parts bin special interior and Renault engines and gearboxes (well, at least the latter should mean a huge improvement over the nasty semiautomat8ic of the first 2 generations).

I still think the first generation was by far the best, and honestly, still looks fresh today, nearly 20 years after introduction....
Old 07-17-2014, 09:42 AM
CSS Veteran

Retrospectively I have to wonder why they even bothered to use RWD again, the front looks the same now like the FWD powered Toyota iQ and Volkswagen Up:

Also the tridion cell may be there visually but I doubt it is more than contrast paint anymore resp. anything technically marvelous.

Last edited by disap.ed; 07-17-2014 at 10:15 AM.