There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Did we ever see mules?
Not to my knowledge.

Hope they get the ride/handling balance down. Apparently the G80 was much improved in this regard in the 2nd generation, and hopefully they get even closer w/ this. I also still don't find Hyundai interiors to be truly "special," even in the more expensive models.

The size of this car, though, looks great to me. Maybe in the low 180-in range for length? Not too wide. Looks to have decent visibility. Might consider for my next car in a few yrs, if the price is right. :)
Old 09-01-2016, 01:14 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Is motor1 a pretty reliable source of info?
Yes, Motor1 is descended form WorldCarFans and is a reputable source of spy photos, and fast becoming one of the internets best.

The main reason that I trust that this is a Hyundai is that the setting for the photo looks exactly the same as the location of a Kia Optima photo shoot a couple years ago (http://www.motortrend.com/news/spied...ts-the-desert/), plus most of the cars in the background are Hyundai/Kia.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:53 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
..Did we ever see mules?
The Kia GT has been running around and also aimed in the general direction of the 3 Series. This is likely a Kia GT with a different hat, so--yes--we have seen prototypes.

Suspension and powertrain development could easily have been done in plain sight under Genesis Coupe. Perhaps the best example of hiding a prototype in plain sight was when Porsche hid the 928 as Audi 100s.

Last edited by swizzle; 09-01-2016 at 02:00 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:34 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The Kia GT has been running around and also aimed in the general direction of the 3 Series. This is likely a Kia GT with a different hat, so--yes--we have seen prototypes..
From what I read the Kia GT will more be aimed at the Audi A7 segment, so (what does make sense, unlike many internal competition among H/K) somewhere where Hyundai/Genesis are not. But I suppose nowadays platforms are made to be scalable, so I you should be right.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
From what I read the Kia GT will more be aimed at the Audi A7 segment, so (what does make sense, unlike many internal competition among H/K) somewhere where Hyundai/Genesis are not. But I suppose nowadays platforms are made to be scalable, so I you should be right.
From what what I've read, it's 3 Series sized, but let's assume it is A7 sized, the G70 will likely have a lot of off-the-shelf parts and computer modeling can take care a lot of the testing for the distinct body that it's all bolted onto.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:55 AM
CSS Oldtimer

It could be that the New York concept car was not a preview of this but a preview of the inevitable G70 "Coupe" that's coming six months to a year later. One can hope.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:20 AM

http://www.top-rider.com/news/articl...ml?idxno=24931

If these pictures were to be believed, I don't think Genesis has its design right. People who buy Genesis are not the same kind of people who buy German luxury cars. I know I am generalizing the Genesis consumer profile but IMO, they want a car that stands out in the crowd with some dramatic appearance (something that is "evidently" special) so that people could understand why they bought a Genesis. Or, when their friends ask them, "Are you stupid?", they would want to be able to defend their purchase (instead of buying one of those "by-the-book" perfect German cars) with a reason that makes sense, beside “I bought it because it was cheaper than…”. Why would people buy a Genesis that looks just like a Spartan German car when the 'actual' German cars are ‘actually’ better? I really think the New York concept should have been applied to G70 instead.

Last edited by joyster; 12-16-2016 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyster View Post
http://www.top-rider.com/news/articl...ml?idxno=24931

I know I am generalizing the Genesis consumer profile but IMO, they want a car that stands out in the crowd with some dramatic appearance (something that is "evidently" special) so that people could understand why they bought a Genesis.... Why would people buy a Genesis that looks just like a Spartan German car when the 'actual' German cars are ‘actually’ better? I really think the New York concept should have been applied to G70 instead.
Why do you assume that a Genesis buyer wants to stand out? Given how conservative they are styled and how relatively soft they are (in terms of ride and handling), I would actually assume that the current Genesis buyers wants a large, comfortable car that doesn't attract undue attention and is a good deal.

And why do you assume that the "actual" German cars are better? BMW has lost its way, in terms of being a driver's car. MBs have very pretty interiors but now crash over potholes and don't feel particularly solid or rigid. Audis.... Audis are kind of anodyne. And, aside from Audi, none of them are particularly reliable. So why not a Genesis, aside from wanting to show off to everyone that you got a German car (which is actually probably a big deal)?

Having said all that, I agree that the NY concept was way more interesting.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:51 AM
CSS Oldtimer

This looks somehow like an Infinty sedan, not bad, but a bit anonymous. I will hope the amount of chintzy chrome is due to this being a concpet car. I'm certain it will end up a competitive car, but in a very crowded market, as a still comparably unknown brand. I'm just not sure that it is enough to convince many non "German brand snobs" to try this instead of a better known Lexus, Infinity or even a Cadillac ATS. The "left field choice" people might also try the Jag XE or Alfa Giulia.

Probaqbly pricing will be great, or some services, but truth is, that at least in Europe, Hyundai and Kia are already rather pricey (their best seller Tucson e.g. easily costs considerably more than a Ford Kuga, Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV-4, easily approaching VW Tiguan pricing here), far from being the "value" choice they and been.....
Old 05-17-2017, 09:13 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Interior snapped:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/551219/2...shots-snapped/