CarSpyShots
Quick Member Login:
Forgot password?
Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:


There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-12-2017, 07:47 AM
mick78 mick78 is online now
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 7,896
Default

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/lan...bows-with.html

Discovery SVX



Whilst the orange detailing and tires might seem like a concept car, this is actually a production vehicle; the Discovery SVX will be fitted with a 525hp supercharged V8,, and added offroad capabilities. Like that Jaguar XE lately, it seems a bit stupid, but also lovable. It would have probably made more sense in the Range Rover Sport body, but tghis way it is probably more like a "poor man's G63 AMG" (well poor with a generous definition)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-12-2017, 04:31 PM
IcedG35's Avatar
IcedG35 IcedG35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,871
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/lan...bows-with.html

Discovery SVX



Whilst the orange detailing and tires might seem like a concept car, this is actually a production vehicle; the Discovery SVX will be fitted with a 525hp supercharged V8,, and added offroad capabilities. Like that Jaguar XE lately, it seems a bit stupid, but also lovable. It would have probably made more sense in the Range Rover Sport body, but tghis way it is probably more like a "poor man's G63 AMG" (well poor with a generous definition)
like you said, this makes the Discovery a little more lovable again. finally some passion in the name plate that has become a bulbous range rover.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-13-2017, 07:57 AM
mick78 mick78 is online now
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 7,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedG35 View Post
finally some passion in the name plate that has become a bulbous range rover.
I sincerely miss teh boxy shape of the Discovery 3/$ (LR3/4). It was truly different, IMO still looks timeless and somehow more modern than the current, rounded and bulbous around the back model.

That also gave the Discovery more of a stand out feature compared to the Range Rover range of vehicles.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-21-2017, 06:01 PM
ndjan ndjan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I sincerely miss teh boxy shape of the Discovery 3/$ (LR3/4). It was truly different, IMO still looks timeless and somehow more modern than the current, rounded and bulbous around the back model.

That also gave the Discovery more of a stand out feature compared to the Range Rover range of vehicles.
Completely agree. The last disco, when introduced back in '04, somehow managed to look current without removing any of the trademark characteristics. This just looks like a Ford Explorer.

I'll forgive LR if they finally start making the Defender and offer a line that overlaps with the old disco.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-21-2017, 11:50 PM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 24,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjan View Post
Completely agree. The last disco, when introduced back in '04, somehow managed to look current without removing any of the trademark characteristics. This just looks like a Ford Explorer.

I'll forgive LR if they finally start making the Defender and offer a line that overlaps with the old disco.
The irony is how much the 04 Disco was an Explorer. They shared a LOT.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-22-2017, 07:49 AM
mick78 mick78 is online now
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 7,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The irony is how much the 04 Disco was an Explorer. They shared a LOT.
I'm pretty sure that there was very little shared between the previous Discovery and a Ford Explorer, the Ford 4.0 V6 in the U.S. market aside (but even then coupled to a different drive train). The Freelnader 2/LR2 was closely related to the first gen Kuga and even more so to the Volvo XC60/XC70.

Otherwise the '04 Disco (3/4) model did ofcourse dive into the Ford/Jaguar parst bin for it#s engines, and some switchgear and stuff, but directly related to the Exlorer, despite similar size, i highly doubt it was. The non Ford wheel lug spacing shared with the bigger '03 Range Rover (which was in many parts a BMW X5 cousin) are a give away...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-22-2017, 12:50 PM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 24,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I'm pretty sure that there was very little shared between the...
And on that, you're pretty wrong. Much of the unit body was the same. The door apertures were nearly identical. Suspension was a variation. And so on. You have to remember that the Jaguar S Type and the X Type were Forduars and that Ford was very much using mainstream designs as the basis for their premium offerings. The Disco wasn't a badge-engineered Explorer, but to say they shared very little would be to ignore reality.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-22-2017, 08:20 PM
boston boston is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The irony is how much the 04 Disco was an Explorer. They shared a LOT.
You mean the Discovery LR3 introduced as a 2005 MY vehicle. The 2004 Discovery was the old generation with more in common to the Range Rover Classic and first gen discovery.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-22-2017, 11:24 PM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 24,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
You mean the Discovery LR3 introduced as a 2005 MY vehicle. The 2004 Discovery was the old generation with more in common to the Range Rover Classic and first gen discovery.
Which was called Discovery everywhere else.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:05 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Black Falcon Media Group Oy