There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2017, 09:20 PM
Raconteur

Why the Focus and not the Fiesta?
Old 06-21-2017, 01:37 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Dumb move. American - and most other countries - need to learn they can't keep exporting jobs to China.

Was wondering, why haven't heard much from Hackett yet...outlining a strategy? Anything?
Old 06-21-2017, 01:50 AM
Administrator

Pretty sure the euro focus will still be built in germany. Importing the US focus from china is stupid, especially if the US starts adding duties on china exports and the cost of the focus will be too much.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:55 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Dumb move. American - and most other countries - need to learn they can't keep exporting jobs to China.

Was wondering, why haven't heard much from Hackett yet...outlining a strategy? Anything?
I find this perilous. When the next gas crisis comes--and there will be one--and fuel efficient cars all come from China, that will be rather ungood (sic).

EVs are still a long way away from being viable to a lot of people of average/normal given the price of admission. $40K for a "Bolt" is $20K too much for a "Sonic EV". That gap will close, but how fast? I suppose displacing ICE economy cars to China would make sense with a gargantuan effort at producing affordable EVs, but this is a head scratcher.

I'm not against Chinese products so long as the quality is there and I think the Chinese will nail that parameter the nanosecond it gives them an advantage. Arguably, the Geely XC90 is well made...
Old 06-21-2017, 12:54 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I agree.

There IS an oil crisis coming; timing? Who knows. However there is ALWAYS another oil crisis; be it a significant terrorist attack, a gulf-esq oil spill or some right guy looking for a new plane. And with every oil crisis, small efficient cars ALWAYS do well and trucks / SUV's always suffer. This will be the catalyst back to compact cars / sedans from SUV's and CUV's.

GM is poised very well for the next one. Volt is a fantastic product, Cruze is decent enough and Malibu is very frugal.

Ford is exporting jobs and importing cheap / frugal cars. Detroit might get the Bronco when it comes - but it'll mean layoffs for the above reasons.

I do have issues exporting jobs to China. It is a fact of life - and after spending time in San Fran watching ships lined up out to sea loaded with cargo containers of imports, it's a difficult thing to avoid. Want an iPhone, TV, toy anything? Guess where it's made. China will of course eventually build good quality cars; but in North America, who'll have the job to afford to pay for it?

My sense is right now that Hackett is a cost cutting / go cheap type of guy. So, if this move (which was likely decided a year ago) is endorsed by him - I question his leadership.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:40 PM
MERCURY: Mission2020 @FiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Why the Focus and not the Fiesta?
just-imho
- yes, the Fiesta production will leave N.America, but
- the Focus is losing is factory first
- can see Cuautitlán converting to smallish-to-tiny Cuvs as soon as convenient**
- think we'll see new/upper-scale Fiestas imported from Europe too

** which might be enough for a future fuel-crisis

..."a chop is a wish your heart makes"