Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2017, 02:39 PM
CSS Oldtimer

o, dear.... and just when I thought they will make it look normal.... judging by those few teasers, attractive even

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I know, and they are not the first ones to implement that. It still does not mean it's a good thing. All those special "push, pull and press a button" or rotary knobs are just more complicated to use than a normal shifter, IMO. It's a case of different for the sake of it, not improving things
frankly, out of all automatic gearboxes (true or "fake") and their shifters I had a chance to drive, this was dead easiest way to use (especially amongst the "innovative" ones)...

or, it would be, if it would be placed better than it is...
Old 09-06-2017, 02:52 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Did anyone else catch that the doors (interior) are literally identical to the last gen? Wow, just, wow.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I know, and they are not the first ones to implement that. It still does not mean it's a good thing. All those special "push, pull and press a button" or rotary knobs are just more complicated to use than a normal shifter, IMO. It's a case of different for the sake of it, not improving things
My understanding was that Honda/Acura (for example) made their shift puttons intentionally counterintuitive to minimize the chances of people thoughtlessly putting the car into the wrong gear.....

As for the new Leaf, it gets a big "meh" from me. I actually didn't mind the last gen one. After government tax credits and such, how much cheaper is this than a Bolt? I'd rather have nearly 100 more miles of driving range, I think....
Old 09-06-2017, 04:31 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Did anyone else catch that the doors (interior) are literally identical to the last gen? Wow, just, wow.
yup. all windows in the DLO are...as are the interior door panels/switches.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:32 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
My understanding was that Honda/Acura (for example) made their shift puttons intentionally counterintuitive to minimize the chances of people thoughtlessly putting the car into the wrong gear.....
That's seriously the dumbest thing ever though. 1. If you can't figure out how to put a car in gear, you shouldn't be driving. 2. "Let's make things counter-intuitive" should never be a goal.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
That's seriously the dumbest thing ever though. 1. If you can't figure out how to put a car in gear, you shouldn't be driving. 2. "Let's make things counter-intuitive" should never be a goal.
It's not that people can't figure it out, it's that we just live in a far more distracted world, and there's been a serious uptick in these type of accidents. Look at Anton Yelchin.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:10 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjan View Post
It's not that people can't figure it out, it's that we just live in a far more distracted world, and there's been a serious uptick in these type of accidents. Look at Anton Yelchin.
I fail to see how making it even more complicated solves this. Seems like the opposite is true...it provides more room for error (shifters like this, not necessarily push button shifters).
Old 09-09-2017, 09:12 PM

Given the the 'new' Leaf, unlike the BMW i3 or Chevy Bolt, is not really new, price wise it is a rip-off. I do not consider the Leaf and Hilux or Land Cruiser, in the sense that you keep that car for 10-20 years, especially that BEVs are only to get better and have real improvements compared to ICEVs.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:52 PM
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Given the the 'new' Leaf, unlike the BMW i3 or Chevy Bolt, is not really new, price wise it is a rip-off. I do not consider the Leaf and Hilux or Land Cruiser, in the sense that you keep that car for 10-20 years, especially that BEVs are only to get better and have real improvements compared to ICEVs.
It looks new on the outside. Average consumer would have no clue how much is carryover other than some interior bits and pieces (pretty standard in the industry anyway).

The Bolt is almost $10k more. The 150 mile range is plenty for the average commuter.

I'm warming to the exterior quite a bit now. It's much better detailed and shaped than the Bolt imo despite the ugly overhangs.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I have never had any issue with PNDR buttons. On the contrary if prefer them. What you call a 'normal' automatic shifter is not more mechanically linked, but is purely electronic. I find it just a useless as now digital cluster gauges that mimic analogue one. This is all especially useless for BEVs that have gears, so no need to shift 'manually', and where RPM gauge is irrelevant, so any any other indicator (oil pressure, oil level, turbo boost, water temperature, water pressure, etc...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
It looks new on the outside. Average consumer would have no clue how much is carryover other than some interior bits and pieces (pretty standard in the industry anyway).

The Bolt is almost $10k more. The 150 mile range is plenty for the average commuter.

I'm warming to the exterior quite a bit now. It's much better detailed and shaped than the Bolt imo despite the ugly overhangs.
For me the issue with the Leaf is not the design (new or old), but the proportions, and those have not changed with the 'new' one. More than that, for a BEV, being FWD has no single advantage. Even the FWD company by default, VW, made its I.D. RWD. The Bolt would also have been more interesting as RWD, but it is a 'van', thus excusable.

I like compact light 2door sport(y) cars so as heavy duty 4x4 (not SUVs) and have a soft spot for lifted normal cars (not SUVs but those like Allroad, CrossCountry and Subaru). I am eyeing the Mercedes EQ A or VW Scirocco or hopefully even some Subaru if compact two door hatch with RWD or AWD and AWS. For those than cannot wait, a used Leaf or a Zoe is a better choice. I wonder why Renault-Nissan did such a little job with the Leaf. Of course the e-Golf is overpriced and has little range, but it is still a better looking car, although technically compromised.

Last edited by Levi; 09-09-2017 at 10:56 PM.