Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Crazy Composer!

Wow. This is one of the most boring "luxury" cars I've ever seen.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:52 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdeV View Post
That's because it's really a $55K rechromed Accord.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:59 AM
The Lurker

Quote:
What makes this 'non' or 'sub luxury?' Really, I would like to hear why. Acura gets hounded for being 'gussied up Hondas' yet they offer a ton of luxury features on par with the rest of the segment. What is it about this RLX that doesn't say luxury? The interior is beautiful, the materials and finish look great, and while the exterior is a safe design, it's still premium looking. This has more creases and curves than the slab-like A8.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:01 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
What makes this 'non' or 'sub luxury?' Really, I would like to hear why. Acura gets hounded for being 'gussied up Hondas' yet they offer a ton of luxury features on par with the rest of the segment. What is it about this RLX that doesn't say luxury? The interior is beautiful, the materials and finish look great, and while the exterior is a safe design, it's still premium looking. This has more creases and curves than the slab-like A8.
The "cheap platform with lots of luxocrap thrown on" was the thinking that produced the Cadillac Cimarron...this is the Acura Cimarron. Moreover, "surface excitement" is what people with taste in their mouths think is tasteful.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:56 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RD4TW View Post
Can we have a link to your or even a review of the RLX that confirms "the base powertrain sucks"? I mean, Accord reviews are saying almost the opposite and the RLX will only be better...
No. The base motor is a SOHC unit, coming out the gate with 310 HP (no torque figures, but considering it's a Honda, there won't be much there) mated to a FWD transaxle.

Quote:
Are you a temple of VTEC guy? This Honda apologism is unbecoming. It has absolutely no design panache at all. It doesn't look expensive or attractive. It has horrible proportions and a terrible styling motif inside and out.

I don't really like Audi's, but they have the most cohesive, one of the most expensive looking design languages on the market, despite most of their products being FWD based and sharing under the skin components with cheaper VW's.

The Acura looks like an Accord on the outside; it has the crapola proportions with little tumblehome, long overhangs and a stumpy wheelbase, coupled with an awkwardly ungraceful roofline and some of the poorest resolved fascias on the market. The side surfacing (like the TL) manages to be both bland and fussy at the same time. The design isn't 'safe'. The design is terrible.

XTS uses a 'compromised' base, but it's far better executed than this poor excuse of a luxury car.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:59 AM
Crazy Composer!

Quote:
Doesn't look the part in my honest opinion. I would never look at this and think the owner has it made. I would look at this and just assume there are screaming infants in the back and a wife in the passenger seat complaining about the way her husband is driving, on there way to a relatives house that neither wanted to go to in the first place...

I should totally make car advertisements...
Old 11-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Blue crazy moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
XTS uses a 'compromised' base, but it's far better executed than this poor excuse of a luxury car.
Sorry, but the XTS has the proportions of a front-to-rear write-off!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I would never look at this and think the owner has it made.
And I think this is the point of brands like Acura and Volvo (as well as Buick and the now defunct Saab). They are understated, and the average Acura buyer doesn't give a donkey's arse if others think he/she has it made or not.

Quote:
I would look at this and just assume there are screaming infants in the back and a wife in the passenger seat complaining about the way her husband is driving, on there way to a relatives house that neither wanted to go to in the first place...
I agree. And it sounds like most American families to me. I definitely fit within that description. Besides, I like the fact Acuras are well-built, come loaded with all the bells and whistles, and are a lot less expensive to maintain than European luxury sedans. They also hold their value pretty well.

To be fair (and to not sound like some Acura fan boy), I wish Acura didn't paste the exact same front-end on every single new design it came out with.

Last edited by Superamerica; 11-30-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
The "cheap platform
I'm not sure whether or not it was "cheap" to develop that particular Honda/Acura platform so can't comment on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
with lots of luxocrap thrown on".
What's a luxocrap?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superamerica View Post
Why not? I think it competes successfully against an Audi A6. It has very high quality materials, sophisticated drivetrain and powertrain, and every feature other luxury cars in this class have.
The design sucks. It looks neither expensive nor well thought out. The thing that gets people in the door to see that technology is the design, and this simply will not do that. It looks like a Honda with some overdone headlamps, and that's about it.