Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 02:20 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RD4TW View Post
Sorry, but the XTS has the proportions of a front-to-rear write-off!
Does it have good proportions? No. But it's stylistically 10000% better than the RLX. The XTS looks nothing like the other GM Epsilion platform mates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superamerica View Post
I'm not sure whether or not it was "cheap" to develop that particular Honda/Acura platform so can't comment on that.
This is a long Accord with an Acura badge.

Quote:
And I think this is the point of brands like Acura and Volvo (as well as Buick and the now defunct Saab). They are understated, and the average Acura buyer doesn't give a donkey's arse if others think he/she has it made or not.

I agree. And it sounds like most American families to me. I definitely fit within that description. Besides, I like the fact Acuras are well-built, come loaded with all the bells and whistles, and are a lot less expensive to maintain than European luxury sedans. They also hold their value pretty well.
It's also the reason why Acura's sales are in the toilet. Everyone else offers a much more attractive product (even Lincoln!) at more competitive prices.

This thing is dead on arrival.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
Does it have good proportions? No. But it's stylistically 10000% better than the RLX. The XTS looks nothing like the other GM Epsilion platform mates.

It's also the reason why Acura's sales are in the toilet. Everyone else offers a much more attractive product (even Lincoln!) at more competitive prices.

This thing is dead on arrival.
Agreed. As much as I despise the Mercuryization of Lincoln and the new Lincoln Fusion, the MKZ is at least trying to be a car that delivers a sales hit. The RLX is almost like Honda trying to grenade themselves.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I understand what it is. But you still haven't told me whether it was cheap to develop the Accord platform from which the Acura platform derived. Honda engineers one of the best platforms on the market. That, coupled with Honda's SH-AWD, should make a pretty nice chassi, no?

Let's face it. The criticisms here all boil down to the design being too bland. Critics like to throw other misguided facts here and there to justify their bashing of a design they don't like.

I agree that the design is on the bland side (but so is a 5-series or most Audis). And I also agree that the RLX should be priced at $10,000 less. But the car itself seems to me like an excellent product. And I am willing to pay a premium to have something engineered by Honda. But again, I've known this company for decades - have owned their products and still remember vividly Ayrton Senna kicking everyone's a$$es in a McLaren Honda - well, that was when most of you were either wearing diapers or not yet born - but Honda is still an engineering-focused company even to this day.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
I understand what it is. But you still haven't told me whether it was cheap to develop the Accord platform from which the Acura platform derived. Honda engineers one of the best platforms on the market. That, coupled with Honda's SH-AWD, should make a pretty nice chassi, no?

Let's face it. The criticisms here all boil down to the design being too bland. Critics like to throw other misguided facts here and there to justify their bashing of a design they don't like.

I agree that the design is on the bland side (but so is a 5-series or most Audis). And I also agree that the RLX should be priced at $10,000 less. But the car itself seems to me like an excellent product. And I am willing to pay a premium to have something engineered by Honda. But again, I've known this company for decades - have owned their products and still remember vividly Ayrton Senna kicking everyone's a$$es in a McLaren Honda - well, that was when most of you were either wearing diapers or not yet born - but Honda is still an engineering-focused company even to this day.
The Accord is still designed to be a midsized affordable sedan. It doesn't have the chops to become the basis a flagship luxury sedan. Their motors are pretty old school, they seem to be ignoring Direct Injection, and VTEC is 20 years old.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
The Accord is still designed to be a midsized affordable sedan. It doesn't have the chops to become the basis a flagship luxury sedan. Their motors are pretty old school, they seem to be ignoring Direct Injection, and VTEC is 20 years old.
Bingo. The RLX should be compared to the Avalon and and Azera. As much as I am critical of the new Avalon, I seriously doubt the lengthened and tarted up Accord will be seen as anything other than a lengthened and tarted up Accord. Like the ILX, the RLX betrays its very pedestrian roots.

The new RLX would fare poorly against the current Genesis and the next Genesis is bound to be a humdinger. The next CTS???

RLX=DOA
Old 12-01-2012, 03:10 AM

I saw the RLX yesterday at the show. It has a tiny little nothing booth in the sad Acura section. It's like Acura themselves didn't even care about it.

It also has just horrible proportions in person with a very upright greenhouse...interior is beyond bland.

What Audi and BMW do WAY better than their Japanese counterparts is proportion. All design boils down to proportion. You may be inclined to call an Audi boring because they all share a very specific family resemblance but Audi has NAILED the proportions on their vehicles and that is what puts them on a different echelon than Acura. They look momentous but not because of detailing. That's what makes the bling headlights on the RLX so laughable. It reads as a contrivance on such a generically design vehicle. Not to mention once you crack open the door and see the stunning interiors Audi does.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:52 AM

whats with the greenhouse? A rising beltline and less upright body would have made this a stunner.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:20 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
The Accord is still designed to be a midsized affordable sedan. It doesn't have the chops to become the basis a flagship luxury sedan.
Aside from having AWD, the larger RLX uses a new version of Honda's double-wishbone front suspension. The new Accord now uses struts up front.

Quote:
Their motors are pretty old school, they seem to be ignoring Direct Injection, and VTEC is 20 years old.
It actually has direct injection.
"The 2014 RLX is powered by an all-new 3.5-liter direct-injected SOHC i-VTEC® V-6 engine with Variable Cylinder Management. Rated at 310 horsepower and 272 lb.-ft. of torque, the engine delivers exceptional drivability, with more than 90-percent of its peak torque produced from 2000 rpm to 6600 rpm. Variable Cylinder Management™ with 3-cylinder and 6-cylinder operation works in concert with the VTEC valvetrain to deliver superb cruising efficiency. The engine is mounted to a lightweight and rigid aluminum front subframe using a vibration-canceling Active Control engine Mount (ACM) system."
-Acura Press release

Old 12-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Raconteur

Laughably cliched and hideous. The fact that a Kia Optima could pull off being premium if we're talking just looks and the RLX can't is very telling.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:53 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2 View Post
Aside from having AWD, the larger RLX uses a new version of Honda's double-wishbone front suspension. The new Accord now uses struts up front.

[b]So? It's still a midsized family sedan platform, and it does things that aren't on the same level as a luxury cars. DWB doesn't really mean anything anymore; BMW uses struts up front on the 3-series. Heck, until fairly recently Volvo and Audi used twist axles out back.

It actually has direct injection.
"The 2014 RLX is powered by an all-new 3.5-liter direct-injected SOHC i-VTEC® V-6 engine with Variable Cylinder Management. Rated at 310 horsepower and 272 lb.-ft. of torque, the engine delivers exceptional drivability, with more than 90-percent of its peak torque produced from 2000 rpm to 6600 rpm. Variable Cylinder Management™ with 3-cylinder and 6-cylinder operation works in concert with the VTEC valvetrain to deliver superb cruising efficiency. The engine is mounted to a lightweight and rigid aluminum front subframe using a vibration-canceling Active Control engine Mount (ACM) system."
-Acura Press release

Compared to the competition, it's pathetic. SOHC? really?

AM2, this car is crap.