Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry guys, I've been away for a bit. Its been a tough few weeks due to my grandpa passing as well as midterms this Saturday. Regardless, I am back on CSS and I can help with whatever I can. I will begin to give comments out to those that need them again.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member

Here is a quick scan of a handout for everyone to use as a reference.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:10 AM

hey thanks for the proportions sheet!!! i only know the e-segment one so thats helpful :)

i forgot about this thread so heres my question which i almost forgot to post. :) ok so i got copic markers (dads bringing them over after he comes bak from europe) and i have done some marker renders before (not at home tho) with "shinhan twin touch markers" and they are just like copics but cheaper...

since im gettin the markers, i wanted to know how u guys learnt to put ur horizon lines or reflections on ur cars. i was especially impressed with clunBB9's renders. or maybe it came naturally???
Old 04-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

These renderings are something that comes from practice and does not come right away. Learn especially from pictures and look at the reflections on those surfaces. Those are the ones you should be focusing on to learn where to put your markers. Work from light to dark, and if you feel that it needs to be darker you can always do that. However if you work from dark to light, there is no way of making the darker areas lighter.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:51 PM
CSS Veteran

any body got any tips or tutorials on wheels and wheel designs...as most of you know

i suck major at them, so any help?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member

As far as wheels go, try to use draw inspiration from radial objects such as flowers or galaxies. stuff like that. On the otherhand you can take the other route and do 1 spoke from any subject and just array it how many times you want for your wheel. What I do on my finals when it comes to wheels is to sketch it on alias. I can set the sketch so that I can sketch radially. Each spoke then will be identical.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:36 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I have a real problem with drawing wingmirrors (rear view mirrors) on side - on views of cars. Anyone have any tips?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Administrator

When you're adding mirrors to a side view, I think a common temptation is to show all of the mirror when in fact you're going to get a completely different view of it than if you were looking from a front 3/4 view. The resulting effect is a mirror that stretches further back than it should and looks almost as if it's folded in.

The best advice I can think of is to look at side views of actual cars and other drawings. Here are two examples:

I chose those two in particular because the mirrors are mounted in different ways (one to the body, one to the pillar). But you can plainly see the basic shape of the mirrors that both of them share, which is to say flat on the rearward (mirror) end and tapered to the front. Of course every mirror is different--trucks, for example, will have taller, more square mirrors--but the perspective stays essentially the same.

Another suggestion may be to check out some of the 360-degree views on some brand sites (BMW, Honda, whatever) to get a feel for how they look at different angles.

Hope this helps :/ In any event, no worries, that's an easy problem to fix.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:20 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Thanks. It did help.:)
Old 07-09-2008, 04:58 PM

Yup, actually looking at photos of real cars can help with just about everything. And of course loads of practice!!