FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 01:39 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
http://www.carscoops.com/2013/11/por...-make-any.html

So, between 500 - 6000$ more expensive than a comparable Cayenne

Not sure this makes sense...
They can solve this problem easily by making the Cayenne a lot more expensive. Deleting the base Cayenne might be one way to do it.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by caarmike View Post
They can solve this problem easily by making the Cayenne a lot more expensive. Deleting the base Cayenne might be one way to do it.
They can easily solve it too by pricing the Macan where it should be: to the penny like the Lexus RX and then delete the V6 Cayenne.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:41 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to against the wall

Cayenne is due for a facelift/MCE soon so expect a price bump

No - against the wall
Old 11-24-2013, 06:13 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caarmike View Post
Again, carscoops did not apply that comparison correctly, making your point moot.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:53 AM
Raconteur

The question will be WHETHER Porsche CAN dramatically increase the price of the Cayenne and NOT kill the cash cow in face of the very competitive nature of the segment. The Cayenne is pretty steeply priced as is and the competition has gotten lot stiffer since the Cayenne was born. It will be interesting to see what the next Land Rover Disco-LR4 and Infiniti QX10000 will be like, not to mention the better looking Cayenne AKA the next Q7. The new RR Sport is a pretty spiffy argument against a Cayenne as is the Jeep GC SRT. If the Jaguar SUV turns out as well as they did the F Type...HOLY WOW, Batman! The Maserati Levante will no doubt be a looker and just drive a Jeep GC to know it will be a very competent machine. Now if Lexus could get something more impressive than the truck they repurpose as the GX, this could get quite interesting.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:51 PM
CSS Oldtimer

The four pot is official. 2.0, 252cv, 7,2 l/100. Same price and power levels than the Macan diesel, so the diesel doesn't make much sense anymore unless it's updated in the near future.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:00 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
The four pot is official. 2.0, 252cv, 7,2 l/100. Same price and power levels than the Macan diesel, so the diesel doesn't make much sense anymore unless it's updated in the near future.
The Diesel is still a V6, so probably more "beef", and smaller petrol four pots tend to be worked rather hard in midsized CUVs, so consumption will be different in real life. Ultimately it all comes down to fuel prices. where Diesel is still significantly cheaper per liter (many European countries), there is little reason to pay the same for a smaller, less beefy petrol engine when you can have a V6 Diesel (and the 3.0 is a rather good sounding unit) that drinks less.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:25 PM
CSS Veteran

It is important to note that there are many tunes and varieties for these Porsche engines

For example, on the Unleaded side, the 2.0 liter unit can come in:
-252 HP
or
-237 HP (for Asia Pacific, Africa and South America)

On the Diesel, the Macan S Diesel comes in:
-the usual 258 HP
or
-211 HP (base variant for Norway and Belgium)
or
-245 HP (for Brunei, Cambodia, French Polynesia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mongolia, New Caledonia, the Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam)

So it all depends. No pure winner or loser here =)

http://www.porsche.com/pap/models/macan/
http://www.porsche.com/pap/_philippi...-s-diesel-245/

Last edited by Blackraven; 03-09-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I would say that fuel price or MPG is not the main driver for the Porsche average customer (on the other hand, range could be). Also, I bet the V6 diesel weights significantly more than the 4 cylinder petrol, and that could have an impact on dynamics. The diesel will have a huge advantage in torque.

So yes, pros and cons. Myself, i would go diesel if just for the range convenience, but i reckon that the new petrol engine is an attractive offer.

I am guessing that this petrol unit is the same Audi sourced engine in use all across VAG. Am i right?
Old 03-10-2016, 09:10 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
I am guessing that this petrol unit is the same Audi sourced engine in use all across VAG. Am i right?
It is based of the standard 2.0 TFSI engine (Golf GTI, Audi Q5, and basically every other VAG product larger than a Polo and smaller than an Audi A8), but without the higher output maesures that are employed in the Golf R and more powerful Leon Cupra (they use different materials for camshafts and some other material differences). So it's a pretty standard 4 cylinder engine, and that already would make me like the V6 Diesel more, as it is a) rather good sounding, not only for a Diesel, and B) way more torque, and the felt difference is even larger in reality than on paper thanks to the 50% displacement advantage of the Diesel car. All in all, the Macan is not a light car, so the 2.0 will need to be worked way harder than in a Golf GTI, and thus real life economy will carry a way larger penalty than it does in the V6 Diesel, plus I'm pretty certain that even with all their trickery it won't be what you expect performance wise form a Porsche, given it is already far from sporty in a smaller Tiguan (granted, fewer horses there, but torque is similar).

If it was significantly cheaper as an entry level model, it would be a different situation. But where it is so similar to the V6 TDI, I see no reason to purchase the 4 banger, apart form probably hating Diesels in general (I'm not a huge Diesel fan, but here, no doubt)...