Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2014, 08:16 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
If European fuel prices were more advantageous, Euros would drive larger and more powerful. It's an economic thing.

Here a Fusion is an affordable, thrifty, mid-size, mid-range car whereas in Europe the Mondeo is considered large, is no doubt seen as more expensive, and potentially near-premium (I'm guessing) relative to the market.

Don't be shocked. Move here and enjoy the advantage.
Well fuel prices are one thing, but they are more responsible for the higher rate of Diesels and down sized Turbos in Europe, and teh absence of V8 powered pick up trucks. A large Diesel can still be very economical, but in many countires insurance and tax might still make running a powerfull yet extremely frugal large car very exepensive. Infact, I do have the impression fuel prices are a way more important thing in the US, considering how any rise in fuel prices drives car sizes down several segments (70ies, the rise of Fiesta and co. in the second half of 2000s) whilst EUrope more or less just buys teh same cars, probably rather driving less (and thus buying fewer of the same cars) and taking public transport.

But actually it's way more the actual size of parking spots and especially garages, which are based upon laws form the 70ies probably or even older (and I'm not talking old towns now, they are becomingcar free anyway in most countries), and thus were sized to the concept of Europeans driving a VW Beetle or old Ford Cortina/Taunus at best. WHich, well, are probably the size of a Fiesta today, but still narrower. So even a mid sized car can be a near impossible squeeze in many garages nowadays.

Another point is, that in Europe "big is beautifull" has never worked, not in cars, not in menu sizes in restaurants, or the size of the average soda bottle. SUre, a Rolls Royce or S-Class is huge, but driving a large cheap sedan always had a bad image in many countries, in sense of "I'd like a large car but can't afford a proper one". Smaller expensive cars (and in general, things) seem to work better here in general. It's a different conception of premium, or luxury. A cultural difference, that IMO is totally normal between countires or continents....
Old 10-22-2014, 09:44 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
If European fuel prices were more advantageous, Euros would drive larger and more powerful. It's an economic thing.
Good point. Plus, car prices seem to be lower in the US and not only because the euro/dolar exchange situation.

Quote:
Don't be shocked. Move here and enjoy the advantage.
Move to NY? Hell no!!!! Good city to visit but not to live in, i'd go nuts in a month LOL!
Old 10-22-2014, 06:42 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Car prices are lower, but still are proportional to the market.

D-segment cars are great value; a Nissan Altima gets 38MPG in Automatic 4cyl guise (the bulk of most D-segment cars). A C-segment car will only get marginally better economy, but with less room and comfort.

Also, the E-segment doesn't really sell that strongly here. The Taurus and Charger are fleet queens (police vehicles, etc), the New Impala will never be able to match the sales of the old one (it's far more expensive), and the Avalon just only sells a fraction of what the Camry and Lexus ES do. The Maxima isn't actually an E-segment, and the Kia/Hyundai twins will probably be discontinued next model year.

Americans drive more, and over longer distances with less care and more varying outside conditions. That's one of the main reasons we prefer bigger cars (although that really isn't that true).
Old 10-22-2014, 06:45 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post
I have noticed that although the size difference remains it has got a lot smaller (between Europe and US).
By models sold the overlap is huge, one market runs smaller and the other larger. By popularity both are downsizing a little but taking standard hatch/saloons europeans favour B,C and D segment whereas americans go for C,D and E. Apart from luxury manufacturers we have no equivalent to full size cars so they're not big sellers but in the states C segments are getting more and more popular.

The market for trucks though is the difference, especially for buyers who will not use them to work. It definitely seems that bigger is seen as better in America for them.
The C-segment has been popular in the US for quite some time; the 10 best selling cars in the US monthly generally have the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla in that list, with every now and again the Ford Focus and Chevy Cruze getting in that list.

The E-segment doesn't do that well. I'd wager that the B-segment outsells the E-segment in this country.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:49 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
Good point. Plus, car prices seem to be lower in the US and not only because the euro/dolar exchange situation.

Move to NY? Hell no!!!! Good city to visit but not to live in, i'd go nuts in a month LOL!
I live in California
Old 10-24-2014, 02:58 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
Most cars in NYC are actually livery vehciles (Cars for hire, taxi service, ect). The Tahoe/Suburban and Escalade are very popular livery vehicles..
exactly, they're all livery. also keep in mind the size of streets in New York make them easy to navigate with a large SUV. just don't try to parallel park one.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:17 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I've driven millions of miles in the US and hundreds of thousands in England and elsewhere in Europe.
If you paid $8 a gallon, you wouldn't be driving the car you are today. I'm due over there again in a few weeks, and working on getting a Focus 1.0 Ecoboost....Just because I can!
Old 10-24-2014, 07:36 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
I've driven millions of miles in the US and hundreds of thousands in England and elsewhere in Europe.
If you paid $8 a gallon, you wouldn't be driving the car you are today. I'm due over there again in a few weeks, and working on getting a Focus 1.0 Ecoboost....Just because I can!
Great choice of car ;-) (I have one)

Of course expensive fuel influences teh car choice, but IMO really more in terms of "should I get a Diesel (and let's face it, nearly all large sedans and SUVs in Europe are Diesels)", as real life difference between a large V6 or V8 petrol and a large TDI is massive, way more than any EPA or ECE cycle will show.

The other choice, probably even less popular in many US areas (well,probably apart NYC or Bay area) would be more frequent use of public transport, especially in areas where stuff like expensive parking on streets and congestion charge adds makes driving really pricey and lets you nearly forget the fuel price. Mostly people question the necessity of a car as such before they question the size.