There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Default Jeremy Clarkson suspended by BBC

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31824040

Quote:
Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended by the BBC "following a fracas" with a producer.

The corporation said the presenter had been suspended "pending an investigation".

"No one else has been suspended. Top Gear will not be broadcast this Sunday," it said.

Clarkson was given what he called his "final warning" last May after claims he used a racist word while filming the popular BBC motoring show.

At the time, he said the BBC had told him he would be sacked if he made "one more offensive remark, anywhere, at any time".
Wow would the BBC really risk risking the world's most popular show?
Old 03-10-2015, 06:41 PM

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot by cancelling the show - killing the goose that lays golden eggs and all that...
Old 03-10-2015, 08:49 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Even still, Jeremy Clarkson acts like he can do/say whatever he wants with zero consequences.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Blue crazy moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Even still, Jeremy Clarkson acts like he can do/say whatever he wants with zero consequences.
While I like his role in the Top Gear series, I'd agree with that a lot.
Just browsing? Join the conversation!

Keep up to date with the community rules

Join the official CarSpyShots Facebook Group
Old 03-11-2015, 02:23 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fou_bleu View Post
While I like his role in the Top Gear series, I'd agree with that a lot.
Jalopnik put together a nice list:

http://jalopnik.com/all-the-times-je...ate-1690580901
Old 03-11-2015, 08:22 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Unfortunately, he is not the only one. Being a super star means exactly that, and yes, Top Gear is Clarkson, so no TG without him.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:00 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Unfortunately, he is not the only one. Being a super star means exactly that, and yes, Top Gear is Clarkson, so no TG without him.
Not true in the context of television programming. I can think of a number people formerly on television who lost their job and/or their programming for their remarks or behavior.

...and "super star" is stretching it when it comes to Clarkson.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:17 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Quote:
Not true in the context of television programming. I can think of a number people formerly on television who lost their job and/or their programming for their remarks or behavior.

...and "super star" is stretching it when it comes to Clarkson.
Well, I do agree to a certain extent on other people, but IMO Top Gear relies so much on the characters of the presenters, and Clarkson not despite but because of his surely controversial character stands out. No other car program has a even comparable cult status, despite actually not being a classic car program but much more an entertainment show. Yes, it is staged, yes it is controversial, and ye, basically every car maker/country/profession has been insulted at least once, but that's part of the whole.

And when it comes to motor journalists, IMO Clarkson is the best known character world wide, so that qualifies him for a super star status in this field. Just look at the media coverage of him being suspended, it is in nearly every news program world wide, even in countries (like Austria) where TG isn't even shown on regular TV....
Old 03-11-2015, 11:40 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I'll give you that in the context of automotive journalism. My point re: superstar was that if you don't follow the automotive industry (whether or not TG is broadcast in your country), most people would not know who he is.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:08 AM
Raconteur

Clarkson is the show and the BBC is dumb as bricks in not playing up his snide arrogance as a celebrated feature. INSTEAD they decide to piss on and piss off fans. BBC suspending Clarkson had better be a publicity stunt because if not they are RUINING the show.

Whoever he had the fracas with deserved it and should be fired for being an idiot.