Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2015, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Default Good news and Bad news (Please read)

Hello everyone,

Worldcarfans.com was bought out a while ago by motor1.com and unfortunately they have decided against keeping the forums. So this means we either move the forums to a separate server which needs to be paid for or we close the forums.

There are a few points first:

1. Hosting costs 50 USD per month, money which I Do Not have to spend unfortunately.

2. If we somehow do find money or finances to move the forums, we would need someone who can do this, meaning knowledge of moving vBulletin to vBulletin or another type of forum software.

3. I can pay for the domain name but that is about it.

4. We would need to set up an ad system to pay for the site but not sure how much money that would bring in.

I am not sure how much time we have but it is not long. Any advice or help would be appreciated and welcomed, otherwise if people do not wish to keep the forums we can close them down and just use the facebook group for the time being.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:15 PM

How about setting up donations via Paypal? I'd be happy to chip in if there are others who'd be willing to do the same.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:35 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Same goes for gofundme
Old 08-18-2015, 07:15 PM

How is worldcarfans related to carspyshots?
50$ is a lot for hosting, aren't there less expensive services?
Old 08-18-2015, 07:48 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disap.ed View Post
How is worldcarfans related to carspyshots?
Yeah, I'm wondering that too. I had no idea there was a connection to WCF?
Old 08-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Administrator

It happened long ago when we moved from the free boards to here, maybe 3-4 years or even more ago. Brian who ran WCF offered me free hosting in exchange for any information from the forums which he could use on the site, the ads were used pay for the hosting and I believe it covered it.

as for the price, not sure why it is 50, since I have no idea how much bandwidth he site uses.

as for people chipping in, all great, but it won't be every month I feel and there will be times when money will have to come out of my pocket.

finally, I have no idea how to move a forum from this server to another, let alone setting it up. so we would need someone who could do it, but of course for free.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:08 PM

My provider offers 50GB webspace and unlimited traffic for 3/months, I think this would be manageable.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:33 AM
CSS Oldtimer

One thing to get going is daily back ups......if thats not happening already
Old 08-20-2015, 11:00 AM
Blue crazy moderator

I'm sure I commented yesterday, but my suggestion was to think about maybe taking on a new form in the shape of a subreddit or something similar? It's free, popular already and exponentially easier / less hassle to manage than forum software. Of course you have to forgo some luxuries like having a traditional forum layout (i.e. sub-forums or categories), but I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks considerably.

Either way, I'm on board with whatever direction you chose to take Ascariss and am more than happy to continue to help wherever possible - especially now I have settled into my new job and I'm starting to regain some free time to kill!
Just browsing? Join the conversation!

Keep up to date with the community rules

Join the official CarSpyShots Facebook Group
Old 08-20-2015, 01:24 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Does anyone know why posts from yesterday morning are missing? There was a comment in this thread about using reddit...now it's gone. Similarly, there was a thread about the Audi e-tron quattro concept (Q6) that's now missing. Same is true with posts in a couple other threads...