Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2017, 11:04 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I'd be shocked if a F/R platform ever materializes.
Honda will also sell you a Clarity EV that only has a 80 mile range.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:24 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv65 View Post
Honda will also sell you a Clarity EV that only has a 80 mile range.
Indeed.

Given the idiocy of that engineering fail...

I just don't see Honda spending several billion dollars to design a RWD platform for a car they can't give away in the first place. Even if they did, their utter lack of understanding of RWD could likely result in a lackluster product.

Partnering with GM for platforms from Cadillac would make sense for Acura.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:53 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Though this RLX MMC is just a hold over until this new model gets developed.
This is the entire problem with Honda/Acura though. This new model should have been underdevelopment for years already and be ready to go NOW.

If Acura was really interested in establishing themselves in this segment, they would not allow a mediocre product like the RLX to just wither on the vine with minor updates and a MMC after five model years to keep people interested while a new model is developed.

People aren't going to wait...they're going to look elsewhere and not come back IF Acura ever gets their act together.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:37 AM
CSS Oldtimer

The BMW/Volvo/Jaguar market segment is not one that Honda is capable of occupying credibly.

Many Honda owners aspire not to Acura, but to Volvo. As a Honda owner whose wife just got am XC60, I get it.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:38 AM
CSS Oldtimer

The RL was never appealing. Especially in the 90s when the GS was selling by the boatload and the 5 series was The must have 4 door.
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:16 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
,,,People aren't going to wait...they're going to look elsewhere and not come back IF Acura ever gets their act together.
Bingo! In a sense, they never looked to Acura for premium sedans in the first place. Lexus beat them and Genesis has potential to do likewise. The Continental is a far better alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
The BMW/Volvo/Jaguar market segment is not one that Honda is capable of occupying credibly...
I suppose I would wonder why they would set their sights so low (Volvo/Jaguar)? Neither of those brands is a force to be reckoned with in the market. BMW--though flailing badly--is still in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
The RL was never appealing...
Precisely. When they stopped doing the Legend and the Integra, Acura became a turd in a toilet.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:43 AM
CSS Veteran

It is looking like the Accord Coupe and v6 are being discontinued for 2018. This could mean a Prelude will replace the Accord Coupe with a detuned Civic Type-R engine or even the Si motor. Acura to get a new v6 engine (this is likely the plan) while Honda keeps the J series for the Ridgeline, Odyssey, Pilot, and whatever competes with the Ford Edge (if it does get a v6 instead of a turbo). Another rumor on ToV is saying that a wagon might come. This probably explains why we have not seen any Coupe spyshots.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:53 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Renaming cars doesn't improve their sales chances. Just ask Ford who dumped Taurus for 500. Then discovered that was a gigantic mistake (the car wasn't much more than that either).

Personally, I think I'm on my last Honda. Too many quality issues with the Alabama factory and especially the J35 at this time.

There once was a time when Honda built simple, quality cars. They forgot those two simple words and just can't stop messing with their products.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:24 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
It is looking like the Accord Coupe and v6 are being discontinued for 2018. This could mean a Prelude will replace the Accord Coupe....
With an all-new Accord in the pipeline for 2018 Honda is no doubt catching up to the competition. As we've seen, in mainstream sedans a V6 is a thing of the past when the manufacturer has a competent 2.0T to replace it with. My guess is Honda is going that route. Personally, I'd rather have a V6 than a turbo if I'm buying the car. If I'm leasing, bring on the turbo.

As for the coupe, it's never sold well and it's not especially good at anything other than being nondescript and unobtrusive, so it's no big loss. Mainstream sedans are a dying market and coupe versions of mainstream sedans are dead and buried. I'm surprised Honda didn't cut its losses years ago.

This is heresy I know, but I'd love to see them reimagine the Prelude as a crossover sport coupe.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
With an all-new Accord in the pipeline for 2018 Honda is no doubt catching up to the competition. As we've seen, in mainstream sedans a V6 is a thing of the past when the manufacturer has a competent 2.0T to replace it with. My guess is Honda is going that route. Personally, I'd rather have a V6 than a turbo if I'm buying the car. If I'm leasing, bring on the turbo.

As for the coupe, it's never sold well and it's not especially good at anything other than being nondescript and unobtrusive, so it's no big loss. Mainstream sedans are a dying market and coupe versions of mainstream sedans are dead and buried. I'm surprised Honda didn't cut its losses years ago.

This is heresy I know, but I'd love to see them reimagine the Prelude as a crossover sport coupe.
I'v been saying it since years. If BMW were wise, they would replace the 2 Series and 4 Series Coupe by one single model, if they were even wise, they'd replace it by one single M model (M3 Coupe sized between both 2 and 4 and less bloated). I see more 4 Series GranCoupe than Coupe, and more A5 Sportback than Coupe. Mercedes Coupes don't sell that well, I don't understand how Mercedes built three of them, 3 different sizes, all the same styling. I also don't understand how Lexus made the RC, when the LC was not far off. I personally think the RC was a "economic" gap fill, it will not have any next generation, LC is the same size, not much heavier and looks better.
So many years, and the beautiful GranTurismo has no successor.

With sportcars weighing as sizing the same as a mid-sized sedan, and CUVs/SUVs selling more than sedans, it is time for car manufacturers to trim their sedan lineup down, and turn them into sporty 4 door "coupes", more practical than sportscars, just as sporty when compared to CUVs/SUVs. One example is the (still ugly) Panamera. A door door Panamera just makes no sense, it would not be sportier than the 4 door, not much lighter, less practical. The 911 is huge and bloated, that is already is a "2 door Panamera".

Car companies have skilled people (engineers, managers), but those people have no common sense. Every dying product can be turned into a successful niche, but not every company can have the same niche, otherwise that is not a successful niche but a mediocre mainstream product. Best example of worst niche product: Mercedes GLE/GLC Coupe and BMW X6/X4. Best example of worst model portfolio: Land/Range Rover.

Last edited by Levi; 05-01-2017 at 11:43 AM.