Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2017, 02:10 AM
CSS Veteran

Next S2000 is a confusing vehicle as some say that Acura might get the next S2000 and it will be built in the NSX factory or is that the Baby NSX. S2000 could very well be FR or MR. Maybe the MR sedan rumor was for a Front-MR setup.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:24 AM
CSS Veteran

Expect S2000 debut in Tokyo.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:15 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

This is my first time posting here in a while, as this thread, and likely the entire site, has slowed down. Much of what was posted and predicted on this thread has either already happened, or is taking shape, and has had press on major automotive-news sites. MCLAREN_P10 has not been on for a while or posted here, either, and we've always got an end-of-the-year status update by him in November and December. There is much excitement in the entire industry as of late, and in all segments, too, that I can't even begin here! I hope some more news and updates appears here and soon!
Old 02-27-2017, 07:53 AM
CSS Veteran

Tabloids seem to have some new info on a new Toyota supercar based on the Supra/Z5 platform. Apparently Lexus wants to use a V10 like the LFA making 600 HP, but linked to a Hybrid system to make around 700 HP! I hear the new supercar will be FR with RWD instead of that fancy Honda SH-AWD trickery. I guess Toyota wants to further recoup the costs of developing that V10 so they need to make another super car and it could use the 2000GT name.

I also hear that the ND Miata will form the basis of the next generation GT86.

Last edited by rv65; 02-28-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:10 AM
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv65 View Post
I also hear that the ND Miata will form the basis of the next generation GT86.
This is interesting. But also unfortunate. There are really only 4 lightweight FR roadsters/coupes around today, GT86, BR-Z, 124, and Miata, and there's already a lot of platform sharing going on. Could we really end up with a market of these cars all based on the same chassis?? It would make differentiating them even more difficult...

This would be a good time for Honda to come in with their S2000 replacement, but that'll probably be priced out of this league. The next Z might have promise, but I've also heard of hybrid tech trickling into that (so another price blow-out).

I was hoping the BMW-Toyota venture would produce a platform that could be scaled down (new GT86 = shrunken Supra) but who knows now.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:51 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
This is interesting. But also unfortunate. There are really only 4 lightweight FR roadsters/coupes around today, GT86, BR-Z, 124, and Miata, and there's already a lot of platform sharing going on. Could we really end up with a market of these cars all based on the same chassis?? It would make differentiating them even more difficult...
Apparently, Subaru and Toyota were not on the best of terms with the BR-Z/GT86 project, so they decided to split ways and Toyota felt that Mazda had a nice chassis for such project.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:22 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post

This would be a good time for Honda to come in with their S2000 replacement, but that'll probably be priced out of this league. The next Z might have promise, but I've also heard of hybrid tech trickling into that (so another price blow-out).

I was hoping the BMW-Toyota venture would produce a platform that could be scaled down (new GT86 = shrunken Supra) but who knows now.
Actually we would be going form 2 to one platform (I have major doubts that Subaru will replace the BR-Z, given it has already been pulled from various markets, and never really had much love from Subaru anyway), although there were rumors before the whole PSA/Opel story that Opel/GM might develop a small lightweight RWD chassis and put the Opel GT concept into production, an idea I guess is at latest now dead.

Toyota did show some small lightweight RWD coupe concpet probably a year ago, that was rather production ready looking, and it's key dimensions were very similar to the ND generation MX5, already firing such rumors. I guess that might become the next GT86 now.

I wonder how much GT86/BRZ are sold globally? The market for small coupes seems very limited, let alone those based of bespoke platforms, so I guess platform sharing is still a better solution than abandoning affordable sports cars altogether.

The BMW/Supra platform surely will be too sophisticated, heavy and expensive(we are talking mainly a German car) to underpin anything remotely similar to the current GT86 or a MX5 (and personally I never found the BMW Z series cars - Z8 aside, I haven't driven one - to be overly entertaining to drive beside their engine when fitted with a classic inline 6 or being playful and tosable like a MX5)
Old 02-28-2017, 10:02 AM
CSS Veteran

Apparently the v10 Supercar is for Toyota and not Lexus! Lexus is working on a LC with a TT v8. This new Toyota supercar might be called the 2000GT!
Old 02-28-2017, 10:07 AM
CSS Veteran

Could the new Toyota 2000GT also pin a new BMW as well? Sorry for claiming that this was a lexus supercar when it was really the 2000GT!
Old 03-09-2017, 03:48 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

It looks like the 2017 Geneva Motor Show is a Supercar tour-de-force, which is essentially this thread coming to life! There is a load of excitement, promise and hope with the debuts, both concept and production!