Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2016, 05:30 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Don't get why you don't like it swizzle, weren't you the one saying that VWs are overpriced and wanted a cheaper version?

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 08-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
Don't get why you don't like it swizzle, weren't you the one saying that VWs are overpriced and wanted a cheaper version?
Ok I'll take the bait.

The previous Passat was too small and overpriced for its segment, but it was not by any stretch of the imagination more refined than the Camry or the Accord which are pretty smooth machines.

The Fusion, Optima, Sonata, Mazda6, and the latest Malibu all easily match the smoothness of the Accord and the Camry.

VW fundamentally does not understand the American market and it arrogantly thinks it can crap in the market and have everyone kiss its butt. Aside from the TDI crazies who have sworn a blood-pact loyalty to VW, VW has outted itself in this market as being truly reprehensible.

Since the arrival of the American Passat which is right-sized and almost right-priced, we've learned that VW thinks cobbling garbage together and calling it a day will bamboozle the NA buyer. FCA cobbled the Dart and 200 out of Fiat bones and both are dead.

For example, if you sit behind the steering wheel of the American Passat you will notice that instead of it being straight ahead, it's about a inch or so nearer center than it should be because this is essentially a hastily widened and lengthened Jetta WHICH WAS DONE so that Puebla and Chattanooga could have major parts sharing.

Yes the previous Passat was a Super Jetta as well, but this one is especially a crass piece of shame.

The Passat simply does not drive as well as the competition, so when you figure in its poorer reliability and lower build quality, VW has a lot to learn.

---

VW has all the right products to be as big as Toyota, Ford, or Honda in the NA market, but they are mired in "Germany knows best" when Toyota has ruled the roost by listening to what the NA market wants and steadfastly delivering precisely that.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:26 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

I see what you mean. I do admit the new 'euro' Passat is a much more sophisticated and upmarket looking car from what it replaces. Yet to be honest, i would still go for the cheaper Skoda Superb which currently is being viewed as a proper alternative to a Merc. I never liked the Passats of past, and i seriously dislike the Jetta.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 01-05-2017, 03:57 PM
CSS Veteran

Polo sedan caught testing in Brazil, to be called the Voyage, and to spawn a new crossover and a replacement for the Saviero:

http://www.motor1.com/news/132741/vw...-voyage-spied/
Old 03-18-2017, 11:02 AM
Da Vdub Man

Send a message via MSN to phaeton

Polo caught in South Africa by www.carmag.co.za reader

more here http://vwnewsblog.blogspot.com.au/20...-new-polo.html

Source http://www.carmag.co.za/news_post/ne...spotted-in-sa/

Last edited by phaeton; 03-18-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:35 PM
Raconteur

I'd bring the Polo to the USA in GTI form and make it true to the original car: very basic options, uprated suspension, more power, good pricing. The (Golf) GTI has gotten too blingy, too optioned out, and too "Cadillac" to really be a spiritual successor to the first (real) GTI.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:58 AM
CSS Oldtimer

That looks just exactly like the current model save for the Golf Sportsvan headlights. Sad when a small car is so boring, they should be more fun than their conservative fleet targeting larger cousins...
Old 03-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
I'd bring the Polo to the USA in GTI form and make it true to the original car: very basic options, uprated suspension, more power, good pricing. The (Golf) GTI has gotten too blingy, too optioned out, and too "Cadillac" to really be a spiritual successor to the first (real) GTI.
That might have been true of the Mk IV GTI, but the MK V on have been great hot hatches.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Astra View Post
That might have been true of the Mk IV GTI, but the MK V on have been great hot hatches.
And they come with tons of ginger bread on them. The original GTI was simple, but while current GTI is a great car it is nevertheless the antithesis of simple. A back to basics GTI more the size of a Mini would be a good offering.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
And they come with tons of ginger bread on them. The original GTI was simple, but while current GTI is a great car it is nevertheless the antithesis of simple. A back to basics GTI more the size of a Mini would be a good offering.

A shame you don't get the Polo GTI then