Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2008, 06:09 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

Excellent, enticing and comprehensive report as usual, MCLAREN - I appreciate it so, but, here are a coupe of questions:

The Corvette, which I understand will stick with V8's (alleluia!!) and could be FRONT-mid engined in C7 inclination, how would it be more compact? The Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, 612 Scaglietti are front-mid engined, and are increased in length from their predecessors. If the Corvette lightens via materials, that's one thing, but I hope it's not reduced in size, then it becomes more like a Solstice or Sky with a greater cylinder-count, and less stately with less presence.

The part about Toyota/Lexus - The LF-A with is on deck, but pushed back (perhaps for it to be greater developed and be introduced at the same time as the Acura NSX successor), how will it spawn a Toyota Supra successor? A recent report has the Toyota Supra successor shelved, unfortunately, just like the BMW M1 "hommage" concept.

I hope with Nissan/Infiniti that the GT-R chassis spawns a Q45 successor or some kind of flagship for Infiniti, where it's lacking, whereas Lexus has the LS range and Acura will have a higher-tier flagship sedan eventually (the new TL eclipses the RL, even though the '09 RL is facelifted). Infiniti (USA) dealerships are already disappointed that the GT-R would up as a Nissan instead of an Infiniti.

I also posted this on another thread and I'll say it again here:
It is saddening that the M1 successor isn't going to materialize, even though the concept was spring upon us by surprise, it it wasn't fully official, to my knowledge, that the project was given the green light. However, I'm glad that the CS is moving forward and I'm happy with that. The resources are readily available for the CS coupe-like sedan, all the way down to the next 7-Series platform of which it's based upon. Also, a said Z8 successor, as well as the CS will more than make up for the M1 being a no-show.

I also hope Dodge had a suitable successor for the Viper in 2012, I don't want to see it go by the wayside, and it's great for Chrysler's image! The idea of a V10 Hemi is very enticing, I hope this comes through!

All or most of this news helps offset some of the depressing news of some of GM's future products as a result of caving into CAFE and CO2 regulations. Personally, I feel not moving more ahead with Zeta other than the Pontiac G8 and Chevy Camaro, and after extensive development overseas, too (even though Cadillac may, hopefully, get one for the STS/DTS successor even if pushed back, but the higher-end V12 flagship has been shelved) is essentially GM shooting itself in the foot. Even Ford is moving ahead with larger offerings (maybe front-drive but all are available with all-wheel-drive), the Lincoln MKS, upcoming Lincoln MKT, soon to be extensively redesigned Ford Taurus and Ford Flex, and will all be available soon with the 340hp Eco-Boost V6. Also Chrysler, with next-generations 300 and Charger with Hemis, even if a hybrid version of the Hemi will also be offered (that could even save the Hemi V8 in the long run), and the imports, even Hyundai, is moving upmarket and offering RWD and V8s. I know that some of the vehicles mentioned in this paragraph are not supercars.

I'll look forward to your next installment in regard to the upper eschelon rides, MCLAREN!

Last edited by 63Bonneville; 08-27-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCLAREN P_10 View Post
I was not saying it as if it doesn't have performence right now, I was saying it in translation to the smaller engine capacity, in terms of horsepower and 0-60 sprint, as well as topspeed!! !
If anything, Chevrolet would maintain the current performance in a lighter car using a smaller engine to gain in fuel economy.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCLAREN P_10 View Post

News from North America;

General Motors are currently looking to meet the new emissions regulations, while trying to save the Corvette. The rumors of a rear mid-engine Corvcette are false, the C7 will be the first of a mid-engine Corvette alright, FRONT Mid-engine and powered by a rumored 5.0 liter supercharged V-8 or a new turbocharged 4.9 liter V-8, either way look for some real performence form a Corvette that will be lighter then the current car, as well as more compat thanks to smaller components!!!

Dodge will discontinue the Viper after 2012, if they can't come up with a suitable successor, but as I have heard it will be a HEMI V-10 displacing 6.0 liters that will see production move ahead for a new Viper, but this new sportscar will have a aluminum chassis, if all goes as planned a new Viper could come on line and help make some money!!!
Great news.
Do you know maybe if engine in corvette would be Gen V small block (direct injection ,vvt, cam in block etc) or some new engine?
I know there was 4.9 concept ohv engine with DI in GMC Denali concept.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:40 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I hope this rumor is found wrong!

This is in regard to the recent posting by MCLAREN here and in the Japan section...

A couple of the familiar auto-news related sites: www.autoblog.com, www.leftlanenews.com, and www.autospies.com seem to indicate a rumor that the Lexus LF-A is "stillborn" - I hope this is found false, and it's not an official Toyota/Lexus announcement.

Honda/Acura and Nissan are moving forward with these offerings in the form of the upcoming NSX successor and the GT-R (which may spawn an Infiniti vehicle in some shape or form) and with the SC430 not scheduled to be succeeded at the end of it's life-cycle, there'll be no high-end sporty offerings from Toyota or Lexus, even the Supra program is allegedly been canceled. The highest sporty offering from Lexus, in this case looks to be the upcoming coupe and (hard-top) convertible version of the IS, and of course the IS-F. Toyota's sporty offerings are few, and are more for the everyman; the Scion TC coupe and an upcoming RWD coupe developed with Subaru. Even Chrysler/Dodge is contemplating selling Viper rather than killing it, which is the better choice.

I hate to say this, but if this is found true, it'll take my respect for Toyota and Lexus down a notch, which I don't want to happen.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:48 PM
CSS Veteran

This is only a rumor, but alot of companies are readying projects for production with a limited production number in mind, so how do you over come the financial problems this day in age, you out source the work and make few cars to drive the price, so is the case for Toyota and Lexus with the LF-A sportscar! Serious production cost alot more then limited production which is why they may just do a very limited number and make a racing version of the LF-A to homologate, which means you can limit production to say 200 cars and not need the dealers to help sale them, such was the case of the Maserati MC12, they built 25 for customers, and around 30 for racing, there was no huge investment in to the car, so the return was huge at 1.5 million dollars, before all were sold, now think along the lines for 3 million dollars to get 1!

The Corvette may get a race bred 4.9 liter V-8 fitted with a supercharger, producing around 450 BHP in the base model, and tuned to 600 for the ZR1 successor. The cars body will be smaller to showcase it's new power to weight ratio, the Corvette Centennial Conept will show alot of new themes for the C7.

Chrysler has plans to sale the rights to the Dodge Viper, and should think of selling the Prowler along with it, I mean both of these cars are now American Icons and to sale the Dodge Viper doesn't make alot of snese unless your going to sale it to a private firm that can produce the same great performer, at the same cost!!! The reason I say the Prowler should be brought back is because they are great to look at, and entertaining to drive for a V-6 engine anyways. I think a company like SMS Limited or Hennessey Motorsports would do great to pick up these 2 model lines, this way either comany can make use of the historic name of the Viper, and maybe tweak the next generation to be even more extreme.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:39 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I hope you're correct concerning the Lexus LF-A. After all that testing and evaluation on the race-course and all those concepts at different stages as well as prototype mules it would be a colossal waste of resources, time, research and manpower if it's canceled!

The only possible disappointment of the next-generation Corvette would be if it's smaller, even though a recent comprehensive article (I can't recall where I caught it - one of the familiar and major auto-related sites many readers of this blog-site check out) indicated that it would be dimensionally similar. If it's slightly lightened, I won't be disappointed, but if it's smaller, then basically you have a Solstice or a Sky with a higher cylinder count. The Solstice and Sky are hot cars, don't get me wrong, but they are lower on the food-chain than the Corvette. Also, if it's (the C7) to get a front-mid mounted engine, as indicated in a few posts earlier, wouldn't that add length in the nose area - think Ferrari 612 & 599, and where else would you cut? If the C7 gets style and design cues from that centennial concept caught by sneak in the set of Transformers 2, all in all, it should be hot. and striking.

If the engine size is smaller in the C7, but adds more tech and superchargers and the output is even greater, it's all good - we don't want or need another "party's over" Corvette from the late 70s/early 80s (some 165hp, which some econobox 4-bangers now trump, even though their torque is less).
Old 09-02-2008, 04:34 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I know that the topic I'm about to mention has it's own thread within this category, but now Aston Martin announced the rebirth of Lagonda, and a concept is due in Geneva in '09, less than a year! It should be a different take than AM which is primarily sports machines, even though the Rapide 4-door coupe will soon be with us, where Lagonda will likely be uber/luxury rides (sedans and possibly coupes also) to compete with Rolls and Bentley. I picture something elegant, sizable and stately yet aggressive, the description of the Bugatti Royale-type vehicle in development.
This would be something nice to look forward to!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:02 AM
CSS Veteran

Lagonda is great news if you think about it, Project Alligator partnership with Mercedes stated that Aston could revive Lagonda, and if this is true, then Lagonda would be the bases for a wider range of models for both Aston Martin and Mercedes-AMG. I mean I see Lagonda as a direct partner for the Maybach 57/62 successors, and this would help keep the price as it is, instead of rising for both models. Also Aston could see use fo a slightly stretched next generation SL-Class aluminum chassis, for there successors to the DB Series, while the V8 Vantage could make use of a slightly lengthened SLK chassis, then of course the SL-Class chassis could be used to keep weight low for the Vanquish successor. All the while AMG developing unique engines for Aston Martin.

I recently heard that Project Alligator is very unique and actually started as a 3 way tie up between Aston Martin, Mercedes, and McLaren, it was actually started when Prodrive was looking to get into Formula 1, in which a deal was struck between Mercedes-McLaren to supply racing chassis to Prodrive/ Aston Martin, which had planned to use a Mercedes engine for the first year until they could develop a suitable F1 regualtions V-8 to be used under the name Aston Martin. The plan then began to fall apart as the partnership with McLaren began to fade away, in which time Prodrive desided not too enter F1 at all. With the partnership between Mercedes and McLaren breaking down Mercedes desided to develop the SLC Gullwing with HWA/ AMG and has since desided to cut the McLaren team off from using AMG engines in there new road cars codenamed the P11 and P12, which are currently in early development stages, and actually have been running camoflagged as Ferrari F360 Challenge Stradale's.

McLaren has since began engine design and development with either Mahle/ Cosworth Engineering or Illmor Engineering, with a new seamless KERS( Kinetic Energy Recovery System) assisted 7 speed sequential F1 style transmssion, which could be developed with either of these to engineering firms also. Also the original plan stated that McLaren was to help develop the Vanquish successor off of the SLR successors carbon fiber monocoque, with aluminum subframe/ crash structures, which may very well be true also, the reason I say this is Aston Martin has just announced the ONE-77, could this have been a early development of thereypartnership with Mercedes- McLaren. We all know that McLaren has always been ahead of the pack for there work with carbon fiber, same can be said for Prodrive, but might this have been a planned merger for over a year now? We'll have to wait and see for now.

The way I see it is that Lagonda could build off the next generation Maybach 57/62 aluminum chassis, with a unique body on this same chassis, and priced around the same, with Mercedes- AMG developing engines and transmissions for both Aston Martin and Lagonda. Maybach would make use of a stretched next generation SL-Class chassis for a 2+2 cabriolet( maybe even and folding metal top model) with design cues coming from the Exelero, while th Vanquish successor could be partnered with a limited production Exelero sportscar. All the while being powered by AMG twin-turbo V-8's. I have actually seen a strange looking prototype coupe while I was in Germany recently, This could very well be the Maybach coupe that I just spoke of. I will gather more news and give it all to you as I get it.

Mercedes-AMG currently are working on a Skunkwerks Project internally known as AMG Black Hammer, as I am to understand this will be the supercar that will truly succeed the SLR in Mercedes eyes. This model is slated to carry a high revving, direct injection twin-turbo 6.0 liter V-8 producing 800 BHP, and power going to the rear wheels via a 8 speed DCT( Duel Clutch Transmission) transaxle. This model will feature a carbon fiber chassis, with titanium and carbin fiber subframes/crash structures to keep weight very low. This model is slated to be a streamlined supercar aimed at a hugh topspeed number, rumored 258-260mPH. This model will be produced in very limited numbers roughly slated for 300 production only. I hope I hear more on this one soon, I love news of new supercars, like this!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:35 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I believe the rebirth of Lagonda is official; it was announced by the Aston Martin CEO and a concept (which may be production-close is due in Geneva '09). Project Alligator will allow these great things to materialize for all with a combination of valuable resources! I'm certain it will benefit Maybach and allow more sophistication and expression/boldness in their engineering, design and style. Remember, the current Maybachs are based on a stretched platform from a two-generation old S-Class, the next could be aluminum-intensive as the Rolls-Royce Phantom, next-generation full-sized Bentley and Bugatti relative, even the Jaguar XJ (upmarket, but on a lower-rung comapred to the aforementioned vehicles) and perhaps other works in progress.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:51 PM

Is there any new V12 engine in plans for Aston martin and mercedes?