Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 03:28 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2014 Nissan Qashqai

http://www.autoweek.nl/nieuws/25529/...nissan-qashqai

Pretty much a natural progression of the currnet best seller. And looking a lot like the larger X-Trail/Rogue, though at first glance not sharing any visible body parts (the interior is identical, though).

The 1.2 Turbo with 115hp is already familiar form various Renault/Dacia models and is the new base engine. Diesels are the same as before (though the 1.6 dCi is still rather fresh)

Last edited by fou_bleu; 11-07-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Higher quality images
Old 11-07-2013, 04:27 PM
CSS Oldtimer

So I'm confused, what distinguishes this from the X-Trail/Rogue besides exterior design? Is it larger?
Old 11-07-2013, 04:51 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
So I'm confused, what distinguishes this from the X-Trail/Rogue besides exterior design? Is it larger?
Actually, it is more compact, shorter, lower, narrower (base engines are also smaller), targeting the cross over market (and classic compact cross shoppers, like the previoius gen), whilst the Rogue/X-Trail should target the classic compact SUVs like RAV4, Honda CR-v, Ford Escape/Kuga, VW Tiguan et all.

And I suppose the qashqai 5 seats only this time (the previous one was available as "+2" seat version as well, but this would be basically the same as the longer x-Trail...)
Old 11-07-2013, 05:42 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Actually, it is more compact, shorter, lower, narrower (base engines are also smaller), targeting the cross over market (and classic compact cross shoppers, like the previoius gen), whilst the Rogue/X-Trail should target the classic compact SUVs like RAV4, Honda CR-v, Ford Escape/Kuga, VW Tiguan et all.

And I suppose the qashqai 5 seats only this time (the previous one was available as "+2" seat version as well, but this would be basically the same as the longer x-Trail...)
Lol...you do realize that the RAV4, CR-V, Escape, and Tiguan are crossovers too right? The first two generations of RAV4s were on the existing Corolla platforms, the CR-V on the Civic, the current Escape is based on the Focus, and the Tiguan is based on the Golf. None of them really qualify as "classic compact SUVs" So what does the Rogue/X-Trail compete with that the Qashqai does not?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:49 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Lol...you do realize that the RAV4, CR-V, Escape, and Tiguan are crossovers too right? The first two generations of RAV4s were on the existing Corolla platforms, the CR-V on the Civic, the current Escape is based on the Focus, and the Tiguan is based on the Golf. None of them really qualify as "classic compact SUVs" So what does the Rogue/X-Trail compete with that the Qashqai does not?
Apart from being a smaller size, don't forget that Qashqai is also more affordable. And at least until now, Rogue / X-Trail and Qashqai looked radically different inside and out. All combined, they attracted different buyers in the countries where both were offered for sale.

The problem with the new Qashqai is that it looks too similar to Rogue / X-Trail, which may confuse some buyers where the pair will be sold. Not to mention the fact that it sets no new ground in design. All I see is a Rogue / X-Trail face and a Ford inspired tail uglified as only Nissan know how (I even see the Mitsubishi Lancer hatchback in the tailights which is not good at all). Overall, I prefer the current model's exterior design.

The interior at least looks a substantial step-up compared to the current model. But of course, it looks the same as Rogue / X-Trail, and again, some buyers may be left scratching their heads.

Last edited by ocn75; 11-07-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Blue crazy moderator

Simply exemplary, bravo Nissan! I'm loving the accentuated arches and the overall shape, as well as the front detailing - the face is just right for this segment - very inviting to my eyes indeed. I must point out, though, nice Focus Estate tail lights...

As for the interior, I quite like the layout too, though the steering wheel looks so out of character with the more sporty exterior (it looks like it came from a minivan!).
Just browsing? Join the conversation!

Keep up to date with the community rules

Join the official CarSpyShots Facebook Group
Old 11-08-2013, 12:26 AM
Infiniti Supporter

I really like this and it's a vast improvement over the existing model. The exterior looks fresh and exciting and the interior is a massive improvement. Both this and the new X-Trail are both stand-out CUV's.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
pjl35, I think the Rogue would battle the RAV4, CRV, Escape, Outlander, Forester, CX5 while the Qashqai could battle the upcoming Honda Urban SUV, upcoming Mazda CX3, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport/ASX, Subaru XV, Chevy Trax.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:57 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I like it. It's a good step forward from the old Qashqai. The bulging front and rear fenders and the bone line through the door handles complement each other nicely, and I quite like the front end. The crease below the headlights seems a bit much but I suppose it adds some visual interest.

As for the interior, like the identical one in the Rogue I have some mixed feelings. It looks nice enough but rather bland and, well, circa-2003.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:15 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
pjl35, I think the Rogue would battle the RAV4, CRV, Escape, Outlander, Forester, CX5 while the Qashqai could battle the upcoming Honda Urban SUV, upcoming Mazda CX3, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport/ASX, Subaru XV, Chevy Trax.
Exactly. Plus, as it is a non US market car, it targets the "still compact SUV/cross over" market, which is very popular in Europe (and some other parts of the world). Whilst the RAV4 and other mentioned cars started life as a compact car (especially the first - 3 door, remember - RAV4 was really tiny), they have grown more or less to (by non US standards) rather large cars, not only in legth, but also height and width. This does pose a problem to many people, especially elder ones (who love the high seating position), and now have no feeling for the size of the massively grown car nor does it realistically fit into a garage built 25-40 years ago for cars the size of a VW Golf Mk.1 or Opel Kadett C/ Vauxhall Chevette etc.

The Qashqai Mk. 1 started the "smaller, more car like (thus I call it a cross over, as it is really not an SUV) trend in Europe, and it's still smaller size (good to read it grew less than 5 cm in length and 1cm in width) should help it to stay one of the most popular cars in Europe.