Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 06:05 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
I'm trying to figure out what exactly is happening in this picture of the lower end unit. There are TWO volume knobs, two tune knobs, and two seek/track buttons. ::

http://img.autodrive.co.kr/club/img1...42582004_0.jpg
Maybe it's a bad photoshop job? This photo on the same page makes more sense:

http://img.autodrive.co.kr/club/img1...71730181_0.jpg

Can't say I'm overly excited, though I do like this car's exterior more than the current one. Interior probably has very high quality materials--wood and aluminum trim are both supposedly actual wood and aluminum--that help make up for the bland design.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:30 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
Maybe it's a bad photoshop job? This photo on the same page makes more sense:

http://img.autodrive.co.kr/club/img1...71730181_0.jpg

Can't say I'm overly excited, though I do like this car's exterior more than the current one. Interior probably has very high quality materials--wood and aluminum trim are both supposedly actual wood and aluminum--that help make up for the bland design.
Good call. Must be a failed photoshop attempt. My link is dead anyway so it all works out :)
Old 03-24-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
If you look at the second picture - the plastic's look hard and the gaps in the dash are large enough to make GM 1995-2008 blush.
The one thing I can recommend is NOT to look at fit and finish with pre-production models. They are always bad in every car.

I was lucky enough to drive some preprods back in the day, including an X5, and GS400 and a couple of other premium brands.
Every single time, people are given the disclaimer that they are not final production models. All had exterior and interior panel gaps, the drive ratios were not right, even interior colors weren't finalized. We're always warned that interior materials and finishes aren't going to be accurate, and there were always squeaks, groans and rattles everywhere.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 PM

I don't like it. The side profile looks wrong. The door handles are too low. Rear looks way to much like something Kia would do.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:03 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjan View Post
The one thing I can recommend is NOT to look at fit and finish with pre-production models. They are always bad in every car.

I was lucky enough to drive some preprods back in the day, including an X5, and GS400 and a couple of other premium brands.
Every single time, people are given the disclaimer that they are not final production models. All had exterior and interior panel gaps, the drive ratios were not right, even interior colors weren't finalized. We're always warned that interior materials and finishes aren't going to be accurate, and there were always squeaks, groans and rattles everywhere.
Totally fair comment... I'd assumed this was a 'final' model... No idea why
Old 03-24-2014, 11:05 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_128 View Post
I don't like it. The side profile looks wrong. The door handles are too low. Rear looks way to much like something Kia would do.
I hear you on the door handles; seems out of place somehow.

I also agree that there is a healthy dose if Optima in that side profile; not sure it works as well here
Old 03-24-2014, 11:43 PM
CSS Oldtimer

At least it's more than just a facelift like I thought it would be.

The interior is just a hot mess, though, an 80's Japanese meets present-day third world disaster.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caarmike View Post
At least it's more than just a facelift like I thought it would be.

The interior is just a hot mess, though, an 80's Japanese meets present-day third world disaster.
I'm of opposite opinion. I really like the interior. It's clean, bold, and seems to have good ergonomics. The exterior by contrast... Whereas the outgoing model was distinct on the road, this one is too generic even for this class (where cars tend to look generic).

On a different note, I think Hyundai/Kia is really confused as to where it wants to be. Up until recently, they were a value brand. One could buy a good-looking Hyundai with heaps of standard accessories for thousands less than the competition. Not anymore. Hyundais and Kias are priced like the top Japanese competitors, without the reliability, durability and resale value.

Hyundai needs to continue to offer great looking cars with plenty of standard equipment at prices that are significantly lower than the competition. Going bland and pricing their product at the same level as competitors isn't going to work for them.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:24 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I always found the Kia/Hyundai brands to be value focused....so, you could buy a (say, like me, an Optima) for about what you'd pay for an Accord - however the laundry list of amenities was HUGE....heated / cooled seats, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, navigation, panoramic roof, kick ass stereo, memory seats, etc, etc, etc - all for about what you'd pay for a mid-level Accord / Camry.

As for the reliability - I've had no meaningful issues w/ mine thus far; sure a couple of small things - but overall, I'm liking the car for reliability; and it's light years ahead of Nissan ;)
Old 03-25-2014, 09:17 PM
CSS Veteran

The exterior is NICE =)

HOWEVER

The interior design (especially that center console) looks like some low-rent General Motors vehicle from the 90s. Less dynamic and more uninspiring

From what I'm seeing so far, the interior is a STEP BACK compared to the previous generation (seen below)

Last edited by Blackraven; 03-25-2014 at 09:24 PM.