Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 10:05 PM

Unfortunately, Hyundai's run of quality interiors looks like it may be ending. It appears that Honda and VW's North American cost cutters have transferred to Hyundai.

The only Honda interiors that I can think of that have reversed their trend are the current Odyssey and Accord; but even the Accord displays cost cutting.

Hyundai had been on a constant upward trend with their interior design and now, if this is the future, I'm a bit worried.

One of my statements that I have always stuck to is: The exterior pulls you in. The interior sells the car. Another is: You don't sit on the hood.

These are very simple maxims and many manufacturers just don't seem to get it.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:11 PM

Wow, the more I look at this interior, the more I hate it. Where did I leave my straight edge/ruler? Oh, I know, in the interior of the new Sonata! How could they go so emotionless? Absolutely no creativity with this interior???

I just keep hoping this is not the North American interior; but I know it is.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:25 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremytallman View Post
Unfortunately, Hyundai's run of quality interiors looks like it may be ending. It appears that Honda and VW's North American cost cutters have transferred to Hyundai.

The only Honda interiors that I can think of that have reversed their trend are the current Odyssey and Accord; but even the Accord displays cost cutting.

Hyundai had been on a constant upward trend with their interior design and now, if this is the future, I'm a bit worried.

One of my statements that I have always stuck to is: The exterior pulls you in. The interior sells the car. Another is: You don't sit on the hood.

These are very simple maxims and many manufacturers just don't seem to get it.
Ok seriously people, I'll reiterate what ndjan already said. QUALITY cannot be assessed through live pictures of a pre-production model or pictures in general. Until you sit in the car or read a review of someone who has, you cannot make a definitive statement about the quality of an interior. The way it looks and its design? Yes. Quality? NO. :nono::nono::nono:
Old 03-25-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Ok seriously people, I'll reiterate what ndjan already said. QUALITY cannot be assessed through live pictures of a pre-production model or pictures in general. Until you sit in the car or read a review of someone who has, you cannot make a definitive statement about the quality of an interior. The way it looks and its design? Yes. Quality? NO. :nono::nono::nono:
Sorry, but the first perception of quality is the way it looks to the individual. Just because it may look good to you, or you are reserving judgment, does not mean it looks good to me, or anyone else. The design of this dash is an old looking design. It does not matter if they put all the soft touch materials in the world, it is still an old, vertical, flat, outdated design. This interior looks like Hyundai thinks their core customer has suddenly aged and gotten way conservative with in their taste.

Maybe they are right; but I and others don't like it and that is our opinion and we are entitled to it. ;) And yes, it does not look high-quality with all the straight edges, blockiness, etc. and lack of imagination.

I used to own a Hyundai Elantra GT until it got totaled. I absolutely loved the car. I have been watching Hyundai design for a long time and have seen it going nowhere but forward; but this new Sonata on the inside is a giant step backwards in my opinion.

Heck, even the spy shots of the Sedona interior look better then the Sonata interior; because one can expect that kind of interior more in a Van/SUV. Have a nice day. :)
Old 03-25-2014, 11:14 PM
The Lurker

Obviously we can't make 100% judgement about the quality, but I'm seriously doubting the materials will change dramatically for the US car. The layout is boring. It looks like they took a BMW console from 2008. The shape and reflective(lack-of) quality of all the buttons looks cheap as well. I'm sure the leather is more premium and such, but the design is just so meh. Same goes for the exterior IMO. The outgoing gen was daring for its time. Did it age well? Not really. So I can understand why Hyundai has gone conservative here. But it's still disappointing.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:14 PM
Blue crazy moderator

Quote:
And yes, it does not look high-quality with all the straight edges, blockiness, etc. and lack of imagination.
Come on now, it's pretty obvious build quality is in question here, not design quality. Something ugly can be built well...
Just browsing? Join the conversation!

Keep up to date with the community rules

Join the official CarSpyShots Facebook Group
Old 03-25-2014, 11:18 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Sorry, but the first perception of quality is the way it looks to the individual. Just because it may look good to you, or you are reserving judgment, does not mean it looks good to me, or anyone else. The design of this dash is an old looking design. It does not matter if they put all the soft touch materials in the world, it is still an old, vertical, flat, outdated design. This interior looks like Hyundai thinks their core customer has suddenly aged and gotten way conservative with in their taste.

Maybe they are right; but I and others don't like it and that is our opinion and we are entitled to it. ;) And yes, it does not look high-quality with all the straight edges, blockiness, etc. and lack of imagination.

I used to own a Hyundai Elantra GT until it got totaled. I absolutely loved the car. I have been watching Hyundai design for a long time and have seen it going nowhere but forward; but this new Sonata on the inside is a giant step backwards in my opinion.

Heck, even the spy shots of the Sedona interior look better then the Sonata interior; because one can expect that kind of interior more in a Van/SUV. Have a nice day. :)
Once again, I said people are totally free to talk about how it LOOKS. So by all means, everyone can talk about the design.

What I said was that when people talk about the quality of the interior (i.e., how well it's put together, use of soft-touch materials, etc.) without having read about someone's impressions of it or having sat in the car themselves, that's jumping the gun. Your original post suggested you were talking about build quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fou_bleu View Post
Come on now, it's pretty obvious build quality is in question here, not design quality. Something ugly can be built well...

How is that obvious? Have you sat in it or read about anyone else who has sat in a production model (not pre-production, like those live shots show)? If not, please explain how build quality has been determined based on those pictures of a pre-production vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
Obviously we can't make 100% judgement about the quality, but I'm seriously doubting the materials will change dramatically for the US car. The layout is boring. It looks like they took a BMW console from 2008. The shape and reflective(lack-of) quality of all the buttons looks cheap as well. I'm sure the leather is more premium and such, but the design is just so meh. Same goes for the exterior IMO. The outgoing gen was daring for its time. Did it age well? Not really. So I can understand why Hyundai has gone conservative here. But it's still disappointing.
So things would look better if they were shiny? Fair enough, if we're talking looks, I'll agree to disagree. I for one think that making all of the buttons glossy would look like cheaper plastic.

How are you able to determine the quality of the materials (as someone else said, they may finally be using real aluminum/wood trim, etc) by the pictures we have seen so far? Besides, I'm 100% confident that most cars on the market that have real trim that would "feel" similar.

Last edited by pjl35; 03-25-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Again, that is my point. If it looks ugly, boring, etc, just because it's built well won't make perception go wow I love this and ooh, the best quality ever. All the soft touch materials will not change perception.

If you look everywhere but the dash in this interior, it does look high quality. But then you have to look at that dash. Perception can be and is, reality and this design strays there.

And , pjl35, I never have based my opinions on others. Have I tried to confirm their opinions? Yes. But believe me, I never would have purchased my Elantra GT back in the day, if I worried about others opinion. I would have run screaming if I did that. ;)

Finally, I and you are free to talk about whatever you like, dislike, etc about a given car. To me, perception of quality on this Sonata Interior is low, again because of look/design. I don't need your permission to form that opinion and express it, nor do you need mine for your opinion and expression. ;)

I like the exterior; but the interior is lacking. As, Nicktyelor noted, it looks like and older BMW in some respects and, I would add, a touch of some older recent Mercedes.

One last thing, quality starts with Design. ;) I would note I have seen vehicles that had great design; but did not have great quality.

Have a great one and let's all look forward to checking it out for ourselves. :)
Old 03-26-2014, 12:17 AM
Blue crazy moderator

Quote:
Again, that is my point. If it looks ugly, boring, etc, just because it's built well won't make perception go wow I love this and ooh, the best quality ever. All the soft touch materials will not change perception.
Uh... To my recall no one was saying the build quality would or should change your or anyone's perception of the interior. We were simply refuting your comparison to overall quality and design and layout.
Just browsing? Join the conversation!

Keep up to date with the community rules

Join the official CarSpyShots Facebook Group
Old 03-26-2014, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Uh... To my recall no one was saying the build quality would or should change your or anyone's perception of the interior. We were simply refuting your comparison to overall quality and design and layout.
Refute? Refute what? Can we all just share our opinions and not misinterpret what each other are saying?

This is what I started out saying:

"Unfortunately, Hyundai's run of quality interiors looks like it may be ending. It appears that Honda and VW's North American cost cutters have transferred to Hyundai."

That is a very valid observation, based on my opinion, not yours, and then someone, who I shall not mention, jumped all over me trying to make me out to be consumer reports, JD Power, etc. when I never said anything of the sort. I simply said this design is not great forward progress for Hyundai.

Truth is, if you want to go down the quality road, from the perspective you and a few others are coming from in misinterpreting my comments, you will have to wait at least a year AFTER the car is on sale to tell the real, quality, reliability, etc.

I am not the only one who thinks this is a step backwards and the quality of the design looks terrible and cost cutting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Hmmmmm, some of the pictures make it look good - some not so much.

http://www.lfsonataclub.kr/

If you look at the second picture - the plastic's look hard and the gaps in the dash are large enough to make GM 1995-2008 blush. The dials / knobs look like they were taken from a 2013 Corolla.

To me this looks to be a step backwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caarmike View Post
At least it's more than just a facelift like I thought it would be.

The interior is just a hot mess, though, an 80's Japanese meets present-day third world disaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
The exterior is NICE =)

HOWEVER

The interior design (especially that center console) looks like some low-rent General Motors vehicle from the 90s. Less dynamic and more uninspiring

From what I'm seeing so far, the interior is a STEP BACK compared to the previous generation (seen below)

How do any of us know exactly what we are saying? We don't and neither do you. But we can form valid opinions based on what we know of the history of a given car company, etc. My retired father owned the current generation Sonata, until he traded it for a Kia Optima. The current interior in my eyes is a better design, having driven it myself and just needed some updating, with higher quality materials.

The new Sonata look on the outside looks very nice; but that interior, in my opinion, has some explaining to do. ;)

Can we please get back to enjoying cars. You tell me what you like and don't like, etc. and I will tell you what I like and don't like and we can agree to disagree. Take care.

Last edited by Jeremytallman; 03-26-2014 at 01:32 AM.