Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2017, 03:59 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I havent driven a new 6 but if the 3 is any indication then I agree. I have always liked the way older Accords drove as well but havent had a chance to sample a new one. Drove a 2013 Sonata for a week, and it feels like a poorly braced crate, at least the Camry feels stable and secure even if over boosted and soft.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
At least the Sonata isn't the vile Passat...
Is the Passat really unpleasant to drive? My vague recollection is that mags have said that it's a very respectable drive. I've only ridden in a Passat and Jetta; both seemed impressive solid and quiet.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:54 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
To be fair though, none of the bread-and-butter, mid-sized sedans is substantially different dynamically than the others in the field. Supposedly the Mazda6 is an outlier and a sport sedan to some, but it's just sporty-esque like the rest. Granted, the Sonata is more "Buick" riding than the Mazda6 and its pretense, but the field is pretty evenly matched.
The Mazda6 actually is a fair bit sportier to drive than everything else in the class. It's also a good half-size smaller inside, especially in the backseat, which is a good part of the reason why sales are so sluggish.

I had an Accord before the Sonata, and unless you're daily commute consists of back country roads, there's not a significant difference between the driving experience of the two. The Accord and Fusion are slightly more sporty than a Sonata or a Malibu, but in the suburban/urban cycles most people drive, you'd be hard-pressed to tell much difference in that regard, other than that the Accord's CVT is a half-step in refinement behind the others' geared automatics. I don't think there's a significant difference between those four sedans and the Optima other than personal preferences around styling and equipment. They all drive well, get decent gas mileage, are very reliable and should prove safe in a crash.

As for mileage, mine has been dead on-target with what the EPA wrote on the sticker.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:58 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I've driven my aunts 'current gen' Sonata - there's nothing wrong w/ the way it handles (she has the Sport)...it's comfy - corners well, feels planted and a decent amount of road feel. This is a mid-sized sedan - it's not meant to have Lotus handling. I'll argue it's close to equal to most other competitive offers of Accord, Camry- but not as tight as Fusion / Mazda 6. It's Goldilocks - just right.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
The Mazda6 actually is a fair bit sportier to drive than...
I've driven it and no it's not. It's a very nice car to be sure, but it's not the "M3" of the group. It has firmer suspension, but there is not some holy grail of handling that has been achieved.