Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2016, 01:49 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2 View Post
I think the interior width up front is fine, they just need to reshape the console/center stack. What's really needed is a wider rear passenger area, the current Focus' body/greenhouse gets narrow after the B-pillars eating up rear shoulder room. it does give the rear nice hips though.
As an owner of a current Focus, i have tp agree. Teh focus as such is already among the widest offerings in it's segment, and up front it is really feeling spacious, if it wasn't for the very wide front console, that also eats more in the driver leg room than others because of it's shape. Yes, the facfelift did imprive things a little, but there is just so much you can do with a slightly reshaped console.

Also I agree that around the back the sloping roof and slimming greenhouse make it more of a "not space efficient design" (though IMO still 4 are seated fine, because the rear seats are more comfortable than average form shape, size and thickness) than a question of "too small on the outside"
Old 03-14-2016, 02:14 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2 View Post
I think the interior width up front is fine, they just need to reshape the console/center stack.
THIS +1000

I had a Focus as a rental a month or so ago and did a decent amount of driving in it. Great car, but the center console design wastes so much space and is overly bulky.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:22 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
As an owner of a current Focus, i have tp agree. Teh focus as such is already among the widest offerings in it's segment, and up front it is really feeling spacious, if it wasn't for the very wide front console, that also eats more in the driver leg room than others because of it's shape. Yes, the facfelift did imprive things a little, but there is just so much you can do with a slightly reshaped console.

Also I agree that around the back the sloping roof and slimming greenhouse make it more of a "not space efficient design" (though IMO still 4 are seated fine, because the rear seats are more comfortable than average form shape, size and thickness) than a question of "too small on the outside"
I have a Mk2 Focus (the one that was skipped in the US & Canada), and it has the same issues, the wide console and slimming of the greenhouse/body, i'm surprised Ford didn't fix it on the Mk3.

Since the Mk2 has no rear hips and it appears to have a narrower rear track than the Mk3, it's more obvious that the body tapers and gets narrower after the b-pillars.

Here's a top view photo I found of the Mk2 Focus online.
That's not an optical illusion, the sides are really curved, the sides gets narrower after the front door handle/ b-pillar area (which happens to be the widest part of the body)

If you can't see the image, here's the link: http://car1.autoimg.cn/upload/2013/6...1042302100.jpg

I like the Mk2 Focus, I was just expecting the interior packaging to improve when they replaced it with the Mk3. Hopefully the Mk4 is roomier at the back.

Last edited by AM2; 03-14-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:43 PM
CSS Oldtimer

More of the cobbled-together mule, including an interior view:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11603171...inside-and-out
Old 03-20-2016, 07:33 PM

Ohmigod, that's hysterical how they just have a print out of the previous gen dash taped onto what I assume is a huge touch screen?
Old 03-20-2016, 08:56 PM
Raconteur

I really think that part of the upsizing of the Focus--in addition to the inevitable crash safety improvements--is to spawn a new Lincoln sedan in the next generation of the C-segment Ford products.

With the Continental being just slightly larger than the MKZ, Lincoln doesn't need two D-segment sedans. It could use an E-segment Town Car, but...

With the MKZ being too big to battle the Mercedes CLA and Audi A3, killing the lackluster MKZ and replacing it with a new, resized sedan with a name would make sense.

Imagine ST and RS components to make it sing and dance...

Cadillac is going after the CLA. Lincoln would be foolish not to follow suit.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:36 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Ohmigod, that's hysterical how they just have a print out of the previous gen dash taped onto what I assume is a huge touch screen?
"Print out"? That dash/button layout up top is nothing like the current gen so I'm not sure what you're getting at. And it's definitely physical buttons, not a paper printout or something...
Old 03-21-2016, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
That dash/button layout up top is nothing like the current gen
Are you sure about that? Photos 1 and 4 would indicate otherwise (I assume the interior pictured is a pre-facelift, lower trim model).

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...otos-interior/

The top half may not literally be a print out (as I thought at first glance), but I assume it's a faceplate that obscures what's underneath (no air vents?).

The lower half of the dash doesn't quite match up, so I'm wondering if there's some stuff from the next-gen model that their trying to obscure.

Last edited by paranoidgarliclover; 03-21-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:12 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Are you sure about that? Photos 1 and 4 would indicate otherwise (I assume the interior pictured is a pre-facelift, lower trim model).

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...otos-interior/

The top half may not literally be a print out (as I thought at first glance), but I assume it's a faceplate that obscures what's underneath (no air vents?).

The lower half of the dash doesn't quite match up, so I'm wondering if there's some stuff from the next-gen model that their trying to obscure.
Layout from the pre-facelift is similar to the mule, but not identical:

Notice screen placement, and the button arrangement that surrounds the screen, distinct from the pre-facelift layout. I'm not sure what Ford its from, but I doubt they'd modify it this much from an old Focus just for a mule.

I mean, at the end of a day, its a mule, so that's likely why there are no air vents and why the arrangement is different down below. Very little conclusions can be taken from anything inside at this stage of development, considering it's all tacked onto the current-gen's dashboard.

Last edited by pjl35; 03-21-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:31 AM

Maybe just wishful thinking on my part that Ford is planning something "big" (and better) than the current interiors. I think they're very stylish, but the high cowl makes me claustrophobic. I don't own a current gen, but I can see what others are saying about wasted space and an intrusive dash....