CarSpyShots
Quick Member Login:
Forgot password?
Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:


There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-14-2016, 01:49 PM
mick78 mick78 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 7,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2 View Post
I think the interior width up front is fine, they just need to reshape the console/center stack. What's really needed is a wider rear passenger area, the current Focus' body/greenhouse gets narrow after the B-pillars eating up rear shoulder room. it does give the rear nice hips though.
As an owner of a current Focus, i have tp agree. Teh focus as such is already among the widest offerings in it's segment, and up front it is really feeling spacious, if it wasn't for the very wide front console, that also eats more in the driver leg room than others because of it's shape. Yes, the facfelift did imprive things a little, but there is just so much you can do with a slightly reshaped console.

Also I agree that around the back the sloping roof and slimming greenhouse make it more of a "not space efficient design" (though IMO still 4 are seated fine, because the rear seats are more comfortable than average form shape, size and thickness) than a question of "too small on the outside"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-14-2016, 02:14 PM
pjl35's Avatar
pjl35 pjl35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2 View Post
I think the interior width up front is fine, they just need to reshape the console/center stack.
THIS +1000

I had a Focus as a rental a month or so ago and did a decent amount of driving in it. Great car, but the center console design wastes so much space and is overly bulky.
__________________
"In three words, I can sum up everything I have learned about life; it goes on." -- Robert Frost
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-14-2016, 05:22 PM
AM2's Avatar
AM2 AM2 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
As an owner of a current Focus, i have tp agree. Teh focus as such is already among the widest offerings in it's segment, and up front it is really feeling spacious, if it wasn't for the very wide front console, that also eats more in the driver leg room than others because of it's shape. Yes, the facfelift did imprive things a little, but there is just so much you can do with a slightly reshaped console.

Also I agree that around the back the sloping roof and slimming greenhouse make it more of a "not space efficient design" (though IMO still 4 are seated fine, because the rear seats are more comfortable than average form shape, size and thickness) than a question of "too small on the outside"
I have a Mk2 Focus (the one that was skipped in the US & Canada), and it has the same issues, the wide console and slimming of the greenhouse/body, i'm surprised Ford didn't fix it on the Mk3.

Since the Mk2 has no rear hips and it appears to have a narrower rear track than the Mk3, it's more obvious that the body tapers and gets narrower after the b-pillars.

Here's a top view photo I found of the Mk2 Focus online.
That's not an optical illusion, the sides are really curved, the sides gets narrower after the front door handle/ b-pillar area (which happens to be the widest part of the body)

If you can't see the image, here's the link: http://car1.autoimg.cn/upload/2013/6...1042302100.jpg

I like the Mk2 Focus, I was just expecting the interior packaging to improve when they replaced it with the Mk3. Hopefully the Mk4 is roomier at the back.

Last edited by AM2; 03-14-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-20-2016, 12:43 PM
caarmike caarmike is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,822
Default

More of the cobbled-together mule, including an interior view:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11603171...inside-and-out
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-20-2016, 07:33 PM
paranoidgarliclover paranoidgarliclover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 864
Default

Ohmigod, that's hysterical how they just have a print out of the previous gen dash taped onto what I assume is a huge touch screen?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-20-2016, 08:56 PM
swizzle's Avatar
swizzle swizzle is offline
Raconteur
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 24,027
Default

I really think that part of the upsizing of the Focus--in addition to the inevitable crash safety improvements--is to spawn a new Lincoln sedan in the next generation of the C-segment Ford products.

With the Continental being just slightly larger than the MKZ, Lincoln doesn't need two D-segment sedans. It could use an E-segment Town Car, but...

With the MKZ being too big to battle the Mercedes CLA and Audi A3, killing the lackluster MKZ and replacing it with a new, resized sedan with a name would make sense.

Imagine ST and RS components to make it sing and dance...

Cadillac is going after the CLA. Lincoln would be foolish not to follow suit.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-21-2016, 02:36 AM
pjl35's Avatar
pjl35 pjl35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Ohmigod, that's hysterical how they just have a print out of the previous gen dash taped onto what I assume is a huge touch screen?
"Print out"? That dash/button layout up top is nothing like the current gen so I'm not sure what you're getting at. And it's definitely physical buttons, not a paper printout or something...
__________________
"In three words, I can sum up everything I have learned about life; it goes on." -- Robert Frost
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-21-2016, 04:02 AM
paranoidgarliclover paranoidgarliclover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
That dash/button layout up top is nothing like the current gen
Are you sure about that? Photos 1 and 4 would indicate otherwise (I assume the interior pictured is a pre-facelift, lower trim model).

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...otos-interior/

The top half may not literally be a print out (as I thought at first glance), but I assume it's a faceplate that obscures what's underneath (no air vents?).

The lower half of the dash doesn't quite match up, so I'm wondering if there's some stuff from the next-gen model that their trying to obscure.

Last edited by paranoidgarliclover; 03-21-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-21-2016, 01:12 PM
pjl35's Avatar
pjl35 pjl35 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Are you sure about that? Photos 1 and 4 would indicate otherwise (I assume the interior pictured is a pre-facelift, lower trim model).

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...otos-interior/

The top half may not literally be a print out (as I thought at first glance), but I assume it's a faceplate that obscures what's underneath (no air vents?).

The lower half of the dash doesn't quite match up, so I'm wondering if there's some stuff from the next-gen model that their trying to obscure.
Layout from the pre-facelift is similar to the mule, but not identical:



Notice screen placement, and the button arrangement that surrounds the screen, distinct from the pre-facelift layout. I'm not sure what Ford its from, but I doubt they'd modify it this much from an old Focus just for a mule.



I mean, at the end of a day, its a mule, so that's likely why there are no air vents and why the arrangement is different down below. Very little conclusions can be taken from anything inside at this stage of development, considering it's all tacked onto the current-gen's dashboard.
__________________
"In three words, I can sum up everything I have learned about life; it goes on." -- Robert Frost

Last edited by pjl35; 03-21-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-22-2016, 12:31 AM
paranoidgarliclover paranoidgarliclover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 864
Default

Maybe just wishful thinking on my part that Ford is planning something "big" (and better) than the current interiors. I think they're very stylish, but the high cowl makes me claustrophobic. I don't own a current gen, but I can see what others are saying about wasted space and an intrusive dash....
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:22 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Black Falcon Media Group Oy