Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2016, 05:38 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
It's like the stylists had a 15 year-old Mitsubishi Endeavor and a 10 year-old Kia Borrego in the studio and said, "Let's make it somewhere in between those two."
Borrego is the first thing that came to mind for me.

This is incredibly dull, especially as consumers are more drawn to risky/unusual, but distinctive styling. There is no room for restrained, safe, and boring.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:43 PM
CSS Oldtimer

If it were at least pretty, I could take the dullness. But the front end is ugly and overall it's really boring.

The character line and whole side treatment belongs on a washing machine.

The interior design and space is quite nice, but I can't get over that drab exterior.

Last edited by Comrade; 10-28-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:21 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Wrong car at the wrong time. I don't see a ton of Honda Pilots, etc., running around. VW needs the Tiguan NOW. The Atlas isn't going to do much for the bottom line, IMHO.
It's a huge market, and VW desperately needed an entry in this space. But it offers nothing competitors don't--Honda has its own trick magic second-row seat, and the Honda name to match. Toyota and Hyundai are known quantities for reliability; Kia has the magic Consumer Reports seal of approval for "Best in Class." The Explorer and Grand Cherokee have been around longer than any other competitors, and both have a hugely loyal audience. Chevy is Chevy, and considering how good other launches have been, the new Traverse should be excellent. The CX-9 is the clear style leader. Even the Pathfinder looks more appealing than this. VW needed something a lot less me-too and a lot more compelling.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:02 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysnkisses View Post
now now. I'm Italian and I've been in the US for 17 years. This piece of crap design is inexcusable no matter how hard you try (and I LOVE my Mk6 Golf GTI). In its ugliness it reminds me of the previous Honda Pilot, only worse. I think VW has been resting on its laurels wayyyy too long. If they didn't feel like even trying, they shouldn't have. Because I agree with the others, I'd take pretty much ANYTHING else in the segment. Let me think, gorgeous Mazda CX-9, or VW At-last? mmmmh....
I don't hate this as much as most other people seem to, but yeah, next to the CX-9 this isn't great.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
It's a huge market
Is the full-size SUV that popular? I live in a heavily urban area, so that could affect what I see. And cars just keep getting bigger and bigger w/ every revision....

IMHO, the mid-sized CR-V, RAV4, CX-5, etc., is where the money's at (esp in the luxury space). The cars you mention have a loyal following (and prob higher profit margins), but I feel like 7-passenger SUVs aren't as popular as they once were. And who knows what will happen when gas prices surge again.

At any rate, I agree w/ you that VW has no (good) distinguishing quality. And, it's obviously subjective, but that interior already looks dated. I see this falling into the market w/ a resounding thud.

I don't hate the car; I just don't "get" w/ VW is trying to do. In the U.S., at least, it's a niche brand. It should embrace its "niche-ness" and then, who know, it could become the next Subaru. But it ain't ever gonna be a Honda, Toyota, Chevy, or Ford (not in this country, at least).
Old 10-29-2016, 12:18 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Not a fan of the design, not a fan of the new Tiguan either so far.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 10-29-2016, 01:11 AM
Infiniti Supporter

I think it's quite handsome and the interior looks really nice. The colour choice for the official photos should of been a different like silver or white.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:23 AM
NISMO by another name..

Styling is subjective. I find it boring, more so than "ugly."

Still a much needed vehicle. This segment makes more money per unit for manufactures than the compact crossover segment. That's why this is being released in the US before the new Tiguan.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:03 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Is the full-size SUV that popular? I live in a heavily urban area, so that could affect what I see. And cars just keep getting bigger and bigger w/ every revision...
Yup--the market isn't as big as the compact crossover space, but it's still pretty huge:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/08...-2016-ytd.html

Explorer, Grand Cherokee, Highlander, Outback, Pilot, Traverse, Santa Fe and Sorrento all are expected to cross 150,000 sales this year--and the first four are expected to do well over 200,000 a year by next year, if not this. It's almost 15% of the US market for a single segment, and it's expected to pass midsize sedans in overall sales before decade's end.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:07 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by DATSUN View Post
Styling is subjective. I find it boring, more so than "ugly."
Same. And i also feel the same for the new Q7, which makes me wonder how much less of an impact the Atlas will have.

MAKE
MINE
FORD