Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2017, 08:41 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Mercedes Aesthetics A Concept

http://carspyshots.net/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=9

Well technically not really a concpet car, but officially a sculpture (well, they have a point, given it lacks wheels). Still, it is said to preview the design language of the next generation of Mercedes' cars .

So far, I like it - it looks clean, modern, without any fuzzy details or surface treatments. The overly dropping but is gone (I'm sure swizzle will appreciate that), a nice evolution of the current language.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:09 AM
The Lurker

Nice. I'm glad Merc is slowly moving away from the crazy surfacing on their cars. The CLS and CLA are a bit overwrought with creases and swoops. This concept and their others from the past couple of years are going clean sheet simplicity, and I love it.

I'm still waiting for the language from the IAA concept to actually make it into a production car. Maybe their EV sub-brand will head that up.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:30 PM
Raconteur

If that's the next CLS, then they are on to something. Unfortunately, the prototypes look ungainly.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:56 PM
CSS Oldtimer

This is really previewing the next gen of the A and B class of cars. "Mercedes-Benz chief design officer Gordgen Wagener said 'Form and body are what remain when creases and lines are reduced to the extreme. We have the courage to apply this purism. In combination with sensual surface design, the upcoming generation of the compact class has the potential to herald a new design era.'”

The article notes that the CLS will get some of the design cues, but spy shots indicate that its looks more closely resemble the current generation of the MB family.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/mer...-previews.html

Last edited by pjl35; 01-27-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:25 PM
CSS Veteran

If it suffers from the same horrible proportions like the current CLA, then not the most "sensual surface design" in the world will safe it.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
"Mercedes-Benz chief design officer Gordgen Wagener said 'Form and body are what remain when creases and lines are reduced to the extreme. We have the courage to apply this purism. In combination with sensual surface design, the upcoming generation of the compact class has the potential to herald a new design era.'
Somewhat at MB (maybe it was Wagener) said something similar about the just-released E-Class coupe.

So I take this to mean that the next gen CLA will look a lot like the current one, but w/ less ridiculous surface detailing? I think the current one is God-awful.

I actually rather like this design study, but think it's awfully staid. Which would still make it better looking than the current CLA, though.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:40 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Like any concept sketch or rendering; once you apply all of that horrible style robbing junk such as ground clearance, headlights, cut lines, tail lights, windows, tyres, etc. We will see what exactly remainz.
To want to dickslap with somebody.
The way I want to dickslap with you.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:40 AM

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mercede...united-states/

The last sentence notes that the A-Class sedan will be priced BELOW the CLA. I'm inferring from this that the A-Class sedan isn't a CLA replacement. What the heck? Does the world need a CLA *and* an A-Class sedan???
Old 01-31-2017, 08:43 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Does the world need a CLA *and* an A-Class sedan???
China - and surely the US too - will prefer an A-Class sedan over a hatchback. And a CLA will ultimately be able to sell for (even) more, once there is a "cheaper" alternative below.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
China - and surely the US too - will prefer an A-Class sedan over a hatchback.
Undoubtedly. I think I would just prefer the A-Class sedan as a replacement for the CLA and have the CLA disappear entirely. Coupesedans w/ FWD look exceedingly awkward, to my eye.