currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2017, 04:32 PM

Default PSA Acquiring Opel/Vauxhall?

http://www.motor1.com/news/136019/opel-psa-merger-deal/

Interesting...thoughts?
Old 02-14-2017, 04:40 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Well damn. I get GM's motivation for this, since Opel has been a money loser for so long, but it's hard to believe they'd step away from the European market entirely. If this does go through I wonder if the Opel and Vauxhall brands will survive. PSA could go the VAG route and try a Sloanian ladder of brands, but there would be a lot of overlap.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:52 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
Well damn. I get GM's motivation for this, since Opel has been a money loser for so long, but it's hard to believe they'd step away from the European market entirely. If this does go through I wonder if the Opel and Vauxhall brands will survive. PSA could go the VAG route and try a Sloanian ladder of brands, but there would be a lot of overlap.
Indeed. Whilst Citrroen is more the "Cheap and cheerful" brand by now (I doubt the C5 will be replaced), Peugeot is more or less directly competing with Opel/Vauxhall. DIfferentating them would be very difficult.

That said, what is even weirder is why would GM want to go through with it. Most smaller GM platforms were mostly developed by their European arm, and basically the whole Buick brand by now are rebadged Opels. Also, with Chevrolet been withdrawn, it would mean the General is no longer present in Europe, which still is a large market. I guess it would mean that all Opels switch more or less soon to a PSA EMP2 platform, and GM would keep intellectual rights on the current Astra, Mokka and Insignias, which are also sold as Buick (I couldn't imagine them paying royalties to PSA for each Buick sold).

And where would be the benefit for PSA? Opel is strong in markets where PSA is present too, and not sold in the US, so no no footstep there. In China, Opel is basically a minor player, with most models sold with a Buick badge, even those that don't end up in the US (like the Astra hatchback or older Corsas). PSA is a big player in China, so again, what is their benefit?

Altogether, a very weird move to my eyes, unless it will be some weird threesome where Opel is a shared brand, producing GM looking Peugeots that are sold as Buick in the US, again a situation where the real winner would be hard to spot.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:06 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Wonder how Fiat is seeing this.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
That said, what is even weirder is why would GM want to go through with it. Most smaller GM platforms were mostly developed by their European arm, and basically the whole Buick brand by now are rebadged Opels.
This is my question, as well. I don't really understand how such a merger/sale/whatever would benefit either company....
Old 02-14-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
This is my question, as well. I don't really understand how such a merger/sale/whatever would benefit either company....
In a declining economy, why would a benefit to either of these two companies necessarily be the plan?
Old 02-14-2017, 11:03 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
That said, what is even weirder is why would GM want to go through with it. Most smaller GM platforms were mostly developed by their European arm, and basically the whole Buick brand by now are rebadged Opels.
Well, it's just the D2XX platform, which underpins the Cruze/Astra, Volt and Equinox/Envision/Terrain. Now that the work is mostly done on the platform and most of the models have been revealed, presumably the development of the next generation would go back to Korea, or to the US.

Opel still has a number of products on the platform shared with the FIAT 500, including the Karl and Adam.

It's a bit surprising to think GM would just up and peace out of Europe entirely. One byproduct of if they do, however, would be that they'd like fall to #5 in terms of size--behind Hyundai.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:54 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Design View Post
In a declining economy, why would a benefit to either of these two companies necessarily be the plan?
Wow. That defies all logic and common sense.

IF THERE IS NO BENEFIT, YOU DON'T DO SOMETHING.

If selling is a benefit, then GM sells Opel. If it's not, then they keep it.

Last edited by pjl35; 02-15-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:35 AM
Raconteur

Why in hell would GM want PSA? All I can imagine is to put them out of business. Merging with a company that has no cutting edge engineering prowess is absurd. Maybe GM is doing this and will send De Nysschen to work his magic on PSA so Cadillac can be saved.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:58 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Why in hell would GM want PSA? All I can imagine is to put them out of business. Merging with a company that has no cutting edge engineering prowess is absurd. Maybe GM is doing this and will send De Nysschen to work his magic on PSA so Cadillac can be saved.
GM isn't buying PSA. PSA is considering buying Opel from GM.