Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2017, 07:20 PM

Subarus are notoriously reliable, I think that plays into it. Also, the safety features. Other companies are catching up, but even the luxury brands can't compete with the effectiveness of the Subarus.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

To me the best buys are Toyota/Lexus and Subaru. If you want the best of the best, Porsche. All the rest is not really worth it, except probably new Chinese Volvo. Have to look how reliable/solid they are.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:38 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
To me the best buys are Toyota/Lexus and Subaru. If you want the best of the best, Porsche. All the rest is not really worth it, except probably new Chinese Volvo. Have to look how reliable/solid they are.
I'd take a Subaru any day of the week over any older Toyota product because of the safety aspect. Most of their vehicles are just skating past the crash tests, as that IIHS spot passenger-side offset test showed.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusreport/article/51/6/1
Old 03-13-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
Most of their vehicles are just skating past the crash tests, as that IIHS spot passenger-side offset test showed.

Presumably that's b/c most of their cars are based on a chassis that's 20 yrs old? The Prius Prime did well in all crash tests, so presumably all forthcoming TNGA-based cars (which will be pretty much everything from Toyota, no?) will do equally well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
All the rest is not really worth it, except probably new Chinese Volvo. Have to look how reliable/solid they are.
If reliability is a criteria, not sure how Volvo makes your list. I don't think they've been terribly reliable since... the 1970s? The XC90 has done horribly in Consumer Reports survey (and reports from other mags about chassis flex are not reassuring).
Old 03-13-2017, 02:37 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Presumably that's b/c most of their cars are based on a chassis that's 20 yrs old? The Prius Prime did well in all crash tests, so presumably all forthcoming TNGA-based cars (which will be pretty much everything from Toyota, no?) will do equally well.
Yeah, that definitely has a LOT to do with it. That said, it's also disappointing the RAV4 only has protection integrated into the driver's side of the vehicle--they're saving a few dollars per car knowing the passenger side isn't tested, which allows them to skimp on safety.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
they're saving a few dollars per car knowing the passenger side isn't tested, which allows them to skimp on safety.
Yes, but I feel like all auto makes outside of MB and Volvo are more about paying lip service to safety.

For me, aside from the stiffer chassis, the improved dynamics of the TNGA platform mean that I would not be willing to consider any non-designed Toyota.

To bring this (kind of) back to the topic, my understanding is that Subaru (outside of the current Impreza and upcoming cars) had pretty "soft" structures (but apparently do very well in crash tests)....
Old 03-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Yes, but I feel like all auto makes outside of MB and Volvo are more about paying lip service to safety.

For me, aside from the stiffer chassis, the improved dynamics of the TNGA platform mean that I would not be willing to consider any non-designed Toyota.

To bring this (kind of) back to the topic, my understanding is that Subaru (outside of the current Impreza and upcoming cars) had pretty "soft" structures (but apparently do very well in crash tests)....
While the new XV looks more like a facelift of the now previous XV, the chassis is all new and will be used for all new models.

Only issue for me with Subaru is the lack of good 200 PS engines, both gasoline and diesel.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:00 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
I'd take a Subaru any day of the week over any older Toyota product because of the safety aspect. Most of their vehicles are just skating past the crash tests, as that IIHS spot passenger-side offset test showed.

You did read in that report that Subaru got marginal on that test on passanger side as well, despite symetrical appearance?

Same goes to MB, 2012 C class failed small overlap tests, they improved to marginal until brand new generation is out.

Volvo is only one that is better than others constantly.

But in any case, if safety is important, always best to check for actual ratings, plus also get active safety gear which is pretty cheap at Toyota and Nissan, and very expensive at Volvo and MB, at least in Europe.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:47 AM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolfx View Post
You did read in that report that Subaru got marginal on that test on passanger side as well, despite symetrical appearance?
Sure, but the Subaru is also relatively ancient compared to the RAV4. Also, the design of the Toyota suggests they knew it would perform poorly on passenger-side tests, but also knew it would likely never be tested, so they didn't care. While the Subaru's safety cage is symmetrical, the reality is there are other factors--the position of the steering linkage, for example--that make up some of the difference.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Only issue for me with Subaru is the lack of good 200 PS engines, both gasoline and diesel.
Agreed. Their mainstream models seem woefully underpowered.

Also, while their interiors are improving, there is something rather primitive and "cheap" about them....