Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2006, 12:19 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: (Lukynix)

i'm sorry, i'm not sure what you mean...you think they're copies? i see what you mean, it wasn't intentional...although i presume you don't know english, or else you would have replied in english in the first place (no offense intended). most of these designs are evolved from designs a while ago, when they were indeed influenced heavily by ford (the headlights and interiors of montgomerys), BMW (shannon grilles i suppose, although i still think that's a coincidence; if i remember correctly shannon's grille was originally a three bar design, which i then split in half) and alfa (grille, obviously, which was originally supposed to be a giant upside-down A, for the avioli logo, but ended up looking more alfa than i intended after the design was revised), but i'm trying to move away from that...future cars should be more unique
Old 01-30-2006, 06:14 AM

Yes, he says that they look like Ford, BMW and Alfa... should I translate it for him?
Old 01-30-2006, 05:22 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: (car-fan)

Quote, originally posted by car-fan »
Yes, he says that they look like Ford, BMW and Alfa... should I translate it for him?

sure, if you can translate what i said, thanks

Old 01-31-2006, 07:35 AM

Per Lukynix: Lui dicce che non era sua intenzioni di farle assomigliare ad altri automobili. Una gran parte dei disegni sono stati fatti tempo f√*, quando li disegnava ancora con molte assomiglianze alle Ford, per esempio i fari e l'interni delle Montgomery. Le prime Shannon, se si ricorda bene, le aveva disegnate con una maschera divisa in tre, poi le ha traspformate come le BMW. La mascherina delle "Avioli" doveva interpretare una gigante "A" capovolta. Dice che sta cerchando di fare le sue creazioni per il futuro pi√Ļ uniche.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:41 PM
CSS Oldtimer

okay, here's one of the road tests i promised. i really like 4car reviews, so i'll probably do pretend 4car reviews fairly often - i have one of the montgomery icon on a CD from my old computer, as well. i also have a pretend edmunds first drive of the shannon series 6 and 8 (in one review) that i want to post sometime. but anyway, here's the first half (apparently the whole thing is too long):

Quote, originally posted by 4Car »
Road Test: Shannon Series 7 (2006-)
Sporting 4x4s

4CAR RATING: ****1/2

Assets
Excellent handling considering its size, ride comfort, interior quality, space, quick and refined powertrain choices across the board.

Drawbacks
There are better choices if you plan to go off-road, petrol V8 is slow and petrol six is thirsty compared to rivals, badge still doesn't quite have the allure of BMW or Mercedes-Benz.

Verdict
An immensely capable 4x4 that strikes a nice balance between sportiness and comfort.

INTRODUCTION

After the very successful Series 4, 6 and 8, Shannon continues its new model onslaught with the Series 7 4x4. The Seven is aimed primarily at the American market, which is evident in its large size - it's considerably bigger than either a Mercedes M-Class or a BMW X5, although slightly smaller overall than the upcoming Audi Q7. Shannon expects 40% of the Seven's annual production to head stateside. However, to please European customers, the Series 7 comes with a wide array of petrol and diesel engines. There are two petrols: in the 735, a new 3.5-litre, 283bhp inline six, while the 745 is powered by the 4.5-litre, 333bhp V8 seen in other Shannons. Diesel options consist of the 730Td, with a 3.0-litre, 220bhp inline 6, and the 745Td, which uses the 645Td's 4.5-litre, 312bhp turbodiesel V8. At the moment, the only available transmission is the six-speed GearSelect manumatic, but Shannon says a conventional manual may become available in the future.

The Seven is based on the Series 6's excellent chassis, with some changes: unlike the Series 6's four-link design front and rear, the Seven uses a McPherson strut front suspension and a five-link independent rear axle. The Seven also features Shannon¬Ěs ¬ĚRide Control¬Ě anti-roll bars that almost completely eliminate body roll in turns, but unlike the Series 6, this feature is standard on all Sevens. The Series 7 can come with either coil or air springs.

This is an imposing car, with aggressive fender flares, supercar-like air dam and Series 6-on-steroids headlights. The Seven¬Ěs size also contributes to its intimidating presence: it is 4966mm long, 1935mm wide, and 1715mm tall, dimensions that exceed those of its primary rivals from BMW and Mercedes.

Special attention was focused on the interior. Since the Series 6 and 8 were introduced in 2003, Shannon has gained a reputation for Audi-like build quality, and the Series 7, apparently, is no exception. Interior space is abundant, with 1965 litres of space available, although the larger Audi Q7 beats the Seven with just over 2000 litres.

RELIABILITY AND QUALITY RATING: *****

Shannons are now notoriously high-quality cars, and they have been giving Audi a run for its money in recent years. The Series 7 is no exception: fit and finish are exemplary. Materials are mostly soft to the touch, controls have a tactile, damped feel, the aluminum trim is convincing and the wood trim is high-quality. The leather is also well-made and textured. The Series 7's is made up of a high percentage of aluminum parts, ensuring a stiff structure, so rattles and squeaks should not be a problem. Outside, paint finish is excellent and panels fit together well. Overall, there is an air of solidity about the Series 7, and it easily equals the M-Class and X5 in this respect. Shannons have had a fairly spotty record in reliability surveys, however (though they have not fared any worse than BMW or Mercedes), so we¬Ěll hold off on a five-star rating for now.

IMAGE RATING: *****

Shannon¬Ěs image has taken great strides in recent years. In the 90s, when the company was in the red and building cars based off Montgomery SV100s (which weren¬Ět even very competitive with Ford¬Ěs Mondeo at the time, let alone the 3-Series), Shannon¬Ěs image took a massive blow. However, with the introduction of excellent (and well-selling) cars such as the Series 4 and 6, both of which have proved to be competitive in their respective segments, public perception skyrocketed. Granted, they aren¬Ět quite at the level of BMW or Mercedes (or even Audi) yet, but Shannons are now prestige items nonetheless. The Series 7 should continue Shannon¬Ěs climb up the image ladder: it is certainly upscale in appearance, and while some might prefer the more subdued styling of an M-Class, its striking looks should turn a few heads.

Modified by SV at 5:44 PM 2/7/2006
Old 02-04-2006, 10:44 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: (SV)

Quote, originally posted by 4Car »
DRIVING RATING: *****

Shannon promises the Series 7 will be a driver¬Ěs car - or as much of a driver¬Ěs car as it is possible for a 4x4 to be. We were skeptical, especially with the likes of the BMW X5 around, but of course Shannon¬Ěs claim is just typical PR nonsense. Or is it? Considering the Series 4 and 6 defied expectations and proved to be very nearly as good to drive as their equivalent BMW rivals, maybe there¬Ěs some truth in that statement. Then again, the Seven is about a foot longer than an X5, and considerably heftier.

Surprisingly, the Series 7 is a rather entertaining drive. No X5, mind you, but it comes impressively close taking its bulk into consideration. There weren¬Ět many doubts about the steering, since it is essentially the same excellent system used on other cars in the Shannon range. It is just as good here as on any other Shannon: linear, sharp and with good feel, it handily beats the rubbery M-Class and comes fairly close to matching the X5's excellent system. Of course, you¬Ěre always aware that you¬Ěre driving a two-tonne car, but considering its girth the Seven is quite agile. Turn-in is keen and body roll is almost non-existent.

The near-complete absence of body roll is, of course, thanks to Shannon¬Ěs Ride Control suspension system, and this is largely what makes the Series 7 so agile for its size. There isn¬Ět much of a trade-off in the ride department: the Series 7 is firm but absorbs bumps well for an off-roader, although it can get choppy on bumpy roads.

Off-road ability is not the Series 7's strength. The size and weight of the Seven is evident off-road, and while a capable all-wheel-drive system is standard, there is nothing resembling Land Rover¬Ěs Hill Descent Control. The air suspension is adjustable, and this helps, but the Series 7 is still nowhere near the likes of the Discovery off the pavement.

PERFORMANCE RATING: *****

At just over two tonnes, the 735 is not an F1 car, but it is competitive for its segment. With a respectable 283bhp on tap, the 735 is hauled to 62mph in 8.3 seconds and reaches a top speed of 142mph. It is essentially an enlarged version of the excellent 3.0-litre inline six seen on Shannon¬Ěs Series 4 and 6, and like the 3.0-litre (which should soon be replaced with the larger engine across the range soon), it is a very refined powertrain, and matches well with the six-speed GearSelect transmission. The 730Td is the economical choice, saving fuel compared to the 735, although it is slower: 0-62 is achieved in 9 seconds flat. However, an abundance of torque - a massive 372lb ft, to be exact - makes the 730Td livelier and more responsive than the 735, while not sacrificing any refinement.

The 745, meanwhile, makes do with a silky-smooth 4.5-litre, 333bhp V8, carried over from the 645 and 845. With 330lb-ft of torque, the 745 gets to 62mph in 7.7 seconds and tops out at 143mph - lackluster compared to its rivals. However, with the inline six growing in power and displacement, it is likely the V8 will follow, especially with Mercedes and BMW enlarging their eight-cylinder engines. If you can afford it, the 745Td appears to be the best choice in the range: acceleration and top speed are identical to the 745, while achieving fuel efficiency only slightly behind that of the 730Td. It¬Ěs a very refined powerplant, as well.

SAFETY AND SECURITY RATING: *****

The Series 7 is, as one would expect, comprehensively equipped. Laser-guided cruise control alerts the driver when they are getting too close to a car in front or behind, which can be useful. Apart from that, the 7 has all the usual safety features: eight airbags (driver, passenger, side, and curtain, all standard), traction and stability control, ISOFIX, and ABS. The Series 7's bulk means that avoiding an accident could prove a challenge, but considering the 7¬Ěs relative agility, this shouldn¬Ět be a problem. The Series 7 also earned the full five-star rating in the NCAP tests, so in the event a collision actually occurs all occupants should be well-protected. The 7 comes standard with keyless go, so it shall prove very difficult to steal should a thief attempt it.

RUNNING COSTS RATING: *****

For a massive two-tonne 4x4, the Series 7 has reasonable servicing costs. All engines meet Euro 4 emissions standards, but fuel economy is inconsistent - the 735 gets a very mediocre 21.5mpg, and the V8 is slightly worse, at 20.4mpg. The diesels, however, fare much better. The 730Td gets a competent 29.8mpg, and the 745Td is, miraculously, only very slightly thirstier, achieving 28.8mpg on the combined cycle. Whenever servicing is required, it can be costly; Shannons are typically more reliable than a BMW or Mercedes, though only slightly so.

COMFORT AND EQUIPMENT RATING: *****

This is probably the Seven¬Ěs strongest suit. With coil springs, the ride is firm but absorbent, though it can get choppy on rougher roads. The optional air springs are excellent - in ¬ĚComfort¬Ě setting, they suppress bumps wonderfully and make for a very smooth ride. Noise is well-suppressed as well: at speed there is a bit of wind noise, and when accelerating there is a pleasant growl coming from the engine (especially in eight-cylinder models), but otherwise, this is a quiet place to be.

Given the Series 7's 3020mm wheelbase and 4966mm overall length, it is not surprising that this is one of the roomiest 4x4s in its segment. With a tall driver in the front seat, second-row passengers of similar size still have adequate legroom. A neat feature is that the Series 7's middle row can slide back and forth, albeit manually, which allows for either a cavernous second row or a balance between middle- and third-row space. As it stands, though, the third row is never a particularly roomy place to be, although adults can fit comfortably with the middle row in a farther forward position. With the third row in place, cargo space is small, but when folded down there is ample room for luggage. With both rows folded to make a flat load floor, total cargo space, at 1965 litres, trumps the M-Class and embarrasses the X5. A powered tailgate, a new fad these days, is optional on all models.

Storage space is adequate, with more cupholders than most people would ever need - this car is aimed at the American market, after all - and a roomy glovebox, among other things. The seats are well-shaped and very comfortable, as well, making for a comfortable and practical interior.

Modified by SV at 5:43 PM 2/7/2006
Old 02-14-2006, 06:04 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: (SV)

c'mon, guys, comment, i spent a while on that "review"...we need more people in the gallery section
Old 02-15-2006, 01:43 PM

Nice job SV, i'm sure that took a while. Really intresting to read, can't wait to see more!
Old 04-02-2006, 10:35 AM
CSS Oldtimer

great designs. I love every single one of em. Make this a reality and you could blow BMW out of the water. The styling is excellent.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:27 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: (ricerammer)

thanks i'm going to make a news story now, although i should be getting ready for bed...

Quote »
Montgomery announces quality drive; CEO pledges reliability will "run neck in neck with Toyota" by 2008

HAMBURG, GERMANY - 18 April 2006 - Montgomery AG today announced, in a bid to become more competitive on the global arena, that they would improve quality to levels among the industry's best before the decade is out.

"We pledge that the reliability of our products will run neck-in-neck with Toyota by the end of 2008," said Montgomery AG's CEO.

Montgomery has shown a massive turn-around in recent years, spearheaded in late 2001 by the SV100 MkIV. Since then, Montgomery have seen climbing sales charts and correspondingly swelling profits around the world. Two and a half years ago, the Icon, a C-segment car to rival Volkswagen's Golf, was released to critical acclaim, becoming one of the best-selling cars in the world.

However, Montgomery has not shown the same progress in its products' longetivity, which has remained flat for the past decade. In JD Power and Associates' latest UK customer satisfaction survey, Montgomery scored a total of 822 points, ahead of the industry average and rivals such as Ford, Vauxhall and Volkswagen but behind industry leaders, which include Toyota and Skoda.

"We have not been performing at our best," said a company insider, "but our recently-adopted policy is to attack all our weaknesses before they can be exploited; customer satisfaction is one of those targets."

The target year of 2008 will also run parallel with the introduction of the SV100 MkV and the fourth iteration of the Grand Legend MPV, both of which are due to be unveiled at the next Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2007.