Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 06:07 PM

Vantage is on a distinguished road
Default 2021 Bentley Bentayga Facelift

Bentley is obviously investing heavily into the facelift of the Bentayga:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...-tech-overhaul

https://www.motor1.com/news/366346/b...esh-spy-shots/

It comes as no surprise that there will be some thorough changes in terms of design after seeing quite a lot of criticism about the current iteration.

If you look closely at those pictures you can detect some heavy rework at the rear. In fact, the facelift will get a completely new tailgate derived from the Audi Q7 with an integrated light cluster showing some resemblance with the new Continental GT. Integrating the rear lights into the tailgate means the Bentayga will receive a second st of tail lights in the bumper just the same way as on the Audi Q7.

Whether it makes the car look much nicer remains to be seen. In any case, the technical relationship with the Audi Q7 will become even more obvious.

Last edited by Vantage; 08-21-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:27 PM
CSS Oldtimer

IcedG35 is on a distinguished road

all the facelifts in the world can't change the fact that they built this on the wrong platform.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:43 PM

Vantage is on a distinguished road

I couldn't agree more. And obviously many potential customers think the same. My local dealer recently offered me a 40 % discount on the sticker price for a new Bentayga. For me, this is a clear sign of muted demand among customers.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:21 AM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road

Completely botched exterior design. The body shape could be from a Tiguan. A remarkably similar issue as the Levante, but at higer bracket and thus worse for it.

I continue to lament the response the concept got. It had some obviously garish details, but the shape was hands down better than this. More like a Range Rover. It's sad how Bentley gave in and water it down to such an emotionless blob.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:38 AM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

They need to get rid of that stupid swirl on the side of the Bentiguan.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:22 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
In any case, the technical relationship with the Audi Q7 will become even more obvious.
It looks like a horribly bloated version of a Cayenne (which isn't winning any beauty contests).

What the hell is wrong w/ VAG? Do they have ANYONE there that make a nice looking car? FWD, AWD, RWD, front-, mid-, rear-engined, they all look boring (or genuinely ugly). Haven't seen the latest Continental GT yet, so perhaps that will change my mind.

I want a British car to be stately, classy, and have some sense of delicacy. None of those things are traits I associate w/ modern German design.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:39 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
. In any case, the technical relationship with the Audi Q7 will become even more obvious.
I'm quite sure inside will also become a more or less re-trimmed Q7/8 with the 3 screen layout, given how it is talking about getting the latest corporate infotainment;

That said, it still can't fix that it looks like your average (much cheaper) VAG cross over, so neither British, nor really expensive (at least anything close to it's price), let alone anything remotely close to attractive; A Range Rover does all those things so much better, even if it is slower or not getting every (probably useless) tech gimmick this has; And even the arguably also ugly Rolls SUV at least looks more expensive and imposing, so will probably attract more new money from Rappers and footballers....
Old 08-22-2019, 03:22 PM
CSS Veteran

disap.ed is on a distinguished road

No facelift in the world could fix this design.
Bentley should btw. finally get rid of the round head lights, they just don't fit modern designs that shouldn't look cute or retro.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:06 PM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by disap.ed View Post
Bentley should btw. finally get rid of the round head lights, they just don't fit modern designs that shouldn't look cute or retro.
I think they can make it work by evolving away from the pure circles. The Exp 6 concept did a good job at this imo, bit wasn't reflected properly in the production Continental.

The trick is elongating it, positioning it on a body curve, and hollowing out the inside. The traditional circles just look too large and oversized for the lighting elements needed today.

Abandoning the double rounded lights would be a mistake because it's so engrained in the brand identity now.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:00 PM
CSS Oldtimer

IcedG35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I'm quite sure inside will also become a more or less re-trimmed Q7/8 with the 3 screen layout, given how it is talking about getting the latest corporate infotainment;

A Range Rover does all those things so much better, even if it is slower or not getting every (probably useless) tech gimmick this has; And even the arguably also ugly Rolls SUV at least looks more expensive and imposing, so will probably attract more new money from Rappers and footballers....
That's the issue, the Range Rover is so much more stately looking than this. Nothing about this car has ever stood out to make RR owners, who tend to be very loyal, switch. I think they look like Chinese knockoffs of what a Bentley SUV should've been.
Closed Thread