Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2017, 12:49 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
It would not surprise me if the Focus sedan gets significantly larger and also the next Fusion a touch larger too with Ford using a two-car strategy for the mid-sized sedan market.

Currently, there is very little reason to buy a Focus when the Fusion can be had for similar money.

When I got my current Fusion I also considered a Focus sedan. The Focus was $24.5K and the Fusion was a hair under $26K and the options were virtually equal. The Fusion is much better for Dad's Taxi and hauling teenagers around.
Agreed with everything you've said here.

I'll also add, that over the years, the traditional 'compact' car has morphed into a midsized sedan size...Civic? Larger than the original accord. Jetta? Thing is huge inside. Accord? Now basically a full sized car.

With the 'traditional midsized' sedans now full sized, why on earth is there a need for a Taurus when the Fusion is basically larger (inside). If they notch up the size of the Fusion and Focus to cover the size of 3 different models, that'll make sense.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:53 PM
CSS Oldtimer

It does look nice and wide and has a Mazda 3 vibe at the rear which is no bad thing. Looks promising so far.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:02 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Agreed with everything you've said here.

I'll also add, that over the years, the traditional 'compact' car has morphed into a midsized sedan size...Civic? Larger than the original accord. Jetta? Thing is huge inside. Accord? Now basically a full sized car.

With the 'traditional midsized' sedans now full sized, why on earth is there a need for a Taurus when the Fusion is basically larger (inside). If they notch up the size of the Fusion and Focus to cover the size of 3 different models, that'll make sense.
IZT's just what is happening everywhere. With every 2-3 generations, cars grow by what you would call one class previously. People don't notice as the perceived class norm just grows accordingly. Same in Europe. The new Fiesta will more or less be the size of a Mk. 1 Focus, so the Focus can grow comfortably to the size of a mid sizer, and so on. The new Polo will be the Size of a Golf Mk. 4 with the wheelbase and width of a Mk. 5/6 model. Cars like the Mitsubishi Mirage that is basically the same size as it's late 1980 ies sibling is nowadays competing two segments below....

That said, the current Ford Focus is already among the largest compacts on the outside, especially in terms of width (trust me, I drive one, and have a narrow garage entrance), so I would have preferred a better use of interior space, but i guess making it larger is probably easier than "more clever usage of space" engineering.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
i guess making it larger is probably easier than "more clever usage of space" engineering.
The growing width of cars annoys me, too, but I assume some of it is also related to more stringent crash protection measures?
Old 06-08-2017, 04:09 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
The growing width of cars annoys me, too, but I assume some of it is also related to more stringent crash protection measures?
Certainly it is, but the Focus is wider than some cars which are never the less as or more spacious in it's segment. The currnet model looses unfortunately some practicality with it's swoopy console and door panels, and in terms of interior lentgh the dash design eats a lot into the front footweels/knee space as well. Some clever touches in those areas could free up a lot of interior space I guess.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
That said, the current Ford Focus is already among the largest compacts on the outside, especially in terms of width (trust me, I drive one, and have a narrow garage entrance), so I would have preferred a better use of interior space, but i guess making it larger is probably easier than "more clever usage of space" engineering.
The Focus makes terrible use of the space available to it. The cabin isn't particularly spacious, and the boot is pretty laughable at 316 litres - there are now several cars from the class below (Skoda Fabia -330 litres, Seat Ibiza -355 litres) that have appreciably more luggage space.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:31 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMGMan View Post
The Focus makes terrible use of the space available to it. The cabin isn't particularly spacious, and the boot is pretty laughable at 316 litres - there are now several cars from the class below (Skoda Fabia -330 litres, Seat Ibiza -355 litres) that have appreciably more luggage space.
I absolutely agree about the interior, though the Focus has at least really the boot volume given, whilst VAG tends to include anything, including the location of the spare tire/tire fit kit, some secret cubbies or, when folded, even the space below the driver seat. German ADAC tends to measure claims, and some VAG end up having 25 - 30% less usable trunk space than claimed (e.g. the Focus actually beat the Golf w. claimed 380l at there measurement); I also found last year going on holiday that whilst I could fit all my bags in my Focus going to the airport, the rental Fabia had to live with one bag on the rear bench, so I tend to believe the ADAC claims....

But Ford really needs to rethink the shape of the dash in terms of eating into interior, that is something the rather slab sided and straight VAG dashboards do much better. Not only do those huge consoles give a "tight footwell" feel, long legged passenger have to push back the seat considerably, which also compromises rear leg room....
Old 06-09-2017, 09:42 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

I don't get the issues with the car's width. I look at the new Peugeot 308 and while i like it i think it looks too tiny for the segment. Sure it may be just an illusion and in fact its spacious etc but i can't feel drawn to it. I don't like when cars look bloated either, like the 307, but that's due to its design language. I was very happy with the current Focus's facelift as it made the car look a lot sleeker, sharper and sophisticated while also keeping its sporty look and adding aggressiveness to its style. Ford usually fixes design flaws during the facelift phase, unlike Skoda (as an example) where every Octavia facelift looked like a step backwards to me.

Going back to the width issue, i don't like small cars like the Fiesta getting larger and fatter but in the Focus group (get it?) i think its suits the car IF the design compliments it. In markets like Australia and i assume the US, the ST and RS models are actually better sellers in comparison to the regular ones in respect to their market share. A wider Focus will also mean an even wider and more imposing ST and RS and that would make these Hot Fords more in line to the Mustang's muscle car footprint.

Talking about the Mustang, here in Australia it actually outsells much cheaper and more mainstream hatches such as the new Holden (Opel) Astra, Honda Civic, Hyundai 130 & Mazda 3! Despite the fact that those aforementioned best-selling hatchbacks and everywhere. And despite the issues that Ford Australia is still having with meeting extreme demand for the pony car.

So given the above i think it makes sense that the Focus grows, since beneath it we also have the Fiesta, EcoSport, KA+, B-MAX and so on. Also with demand on larger family European cars such as the Mondeo declining over the years, a larger Focus family does make even more sense to cater for the in-between. Ford just needs to ensure that cars of the size of the Fiesta or smaller become the original Focus's spiritual successors. I think most people living around cities would not go for a hatch/sedan much bigger than a Focus nowadays, they would more likely opt for an CUV/SUV instead.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 06-09-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
I don't get the issues with the car's width. I look at the new Peugeot 308 and while i like it i think it looks too tiny for the segment.
I think posters are pointing out the width as an annoyance from a functional perspective, not from an aesthetic perspective. The upcoming Focus may look well-proportioned (and I certainly don't think it looks bloated), but increasing width is annoying for some. I live in a highly traffic urban area and, perhaps unusual for an American, my workplaces all have VERY narrow parking spaces. Having a car grow wider mainly for looks, w/o a proportional increase in actual spaciousness, is obnoxious, IMHO.

Can't comment too much about the interior of the current car, since I haven't had to live w/ one, but I find most (if not all) of the last-gen Ford interiors to be obnoxiously bloated and over-done. I don't need or want my car's dash to look like a remote control.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:09 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
I think posters are pointing out the width as an annoyance from a functional perspective, not from an aesthetic perspective. The upcoming Focus may look well-proportioned (and I certainly don't think it looks bloated), but increasing width is annoying for some. I live in a highly traffic urban area and, perhaps unusual for an American, my workplaces all have VERY narrow parking spaces. Having a car grow wider mainly for looks, w/o a proportional increase in actual spaciousness, is obnoxious, IMHO.

Can't comment too much about the interior of the current car, since I haven't had to live w/ one, but I find most (if not all) of the last-gen Ford interiors to be obnoxiously bloated and over-done. I don't need or want my car's dash to look like a remote control.
Yeah i get it, but i also live in a VERY high density area near the city with narrow streets and yet i don't think any additional width on the Focus would create issues with navigating and parking. I mean lots of people manage to park their Commodores and Klugers. I think the Focus will largely feel the same as it is extremely easy to steer it and provides great feedback. Add parking sensors and it should be issue-free.

MAKE
MINE
FORD