Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2017, 09:35 AM
CSS Oldtimer

If this is true, at least one of the 3 non premium VAG brands (VW; Skoda, Seat) is super useless, but actually, one would be enough. Half of the lineup will eventually end up with a different badge elsewhere too, there aren't any huge differences in terms of "interior materials" between the brands anyway, all the switchgear, instruments and sat nav thingys are interchangeable. and even the not reabdged models end up looking very similar (let's face it, an Ateca could wear a VW or Skoda badge as well, as could an Octavia). Also pricing is very similar, if Skoda or Seat have a cheaper entry level price, it only means you get less kit, not same car for less. Sure, at the top end you can save a bit by going for a Leon Cupra instead of a GTI, but in the actually selling trims, there are no differences worth noting

I still don't get what was wrong when say 15 years ago (the Mk. 4 Golf derivatives still all around) a VW was plusher, a Seat looked distinctively different (sporty, more "Mediterranean" instead of German) and a Skoda was the cheapest, with no less quality but a simpler interior, less options buts till all the essential stuff and engines available. I have a hard time imagining that offering all 3 brands with more or less the same products at similar prices generates a higher market coverage and easier work for marketing,,,,
Old 02-25-2017, 09:20 AM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.auto.cz/skoda-yeti-vyfoce...tm_medium=dave

Old 02-25-2017, 02:48 PM
Raconteur

The Yeti used to be unique because of its styling, but now that it's a Tiguan clone for styling, they've lost me.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:41 AM
CSS Oldtimer

How great. A new badge for the Ateca. At least the design, rather upright and boxy in person and thus with very little sportiness or "auto emocion" in it makes more sense as a Skoda.

So we will now have a rebadged Seat Ateca for Euroep, and a rebadgedTiguan for India, both as Yeti. Considering the original Yeti was really a cool looking car when launched....
Old 04-07-2017, 04:46 AM

Default Fair, not great

With VAG trying to save money after the Deiselgate fiasco, I guess we have to accept that they will rebadge models rather than come up with unique designs for Skoda and SEAT. In that context, I'm glad at least that SEAT and Skoda are sharing the design of the new small SUV, rather than Skoda rebadging Tiguan. The Yeti was an ideal size for my wife and me, at 4210mm. We traded in a Nissan Xtrail at about 4500mm because it was too big for us. Tiguan is now about 4500mm. That's a full size bigger than our Yeti, and about the same size as the unloved XTrail we got rid of. The SEAT Ateca is in the middle, at about 4350mm, so still a possibility for us.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:46 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMinAU View Post
With VAG trying to save money after the Deiselgate fiasco, I guess we have to accept that they will rebadge models rather than come up with unique designs for Skoda and SEAT. In that context, I'm glad at least that SEAT and Skoda are sharing the design of the new small SUV, rather than Skoda rebadging Tiguan. The Yeti was an ideal size for my wife and me, at 4210mm. We traded in a Nissan Xtrail at about 4500mm because it was too big for us. Tiguan is now about 4500mm. That's a full size bigger than our Yeti, and about the same size as the unloved XTrail we got rid of. The SEAT Ateca is in the middle, at about 4350mm, so still a possibility for us.
Is 4,5 to 4,35m really that much of a difference? The Ateca is still quite wide, and it's straight edges at the front and back mean that "going around a tight corner in a garage" isn't much easier than with a longer, but probably narrower ca, esp. if it has a less wide front bumper. To me, the size difference between say a Kodiaq and a Qashqai, yeti might be noticable, but between a TIguan and an Ateca, that is more or less peanuts.

That said, although I do get the money saving point with the rebadging, history has also shown us that in the long term, brands loose their identity, and to me Seat already pretty much lost it, compared to their good looking and differnet line up 15 years ago. Also, there is no excuse why non reabdge models also look very identical (the new Ibiza and Polo from spyshots will no be rebadges, but look like that at first glance), and don't even get me started on the "bling bling reskinned Q7" that is the Bentley Bentyaga. Because a 200k SUV couldn't afford a greenhouse and body structure of it's own. Sure
Old 04-27-2017, 12:17 PM
CSS Oldtimer

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/skoda...7-5943773.html

As to little surprise, the Skoda developed Seat Ateca (that already pretty much looks like a Skoda) will also be the next Yeti, which will drop (in a to me weird move)the successful Yeti name and be called Karoq.

Prototzypes show bit of camo, but it is clear that differences will be mainly rear lights and front grille and lights, the thrid side window might have a different shape though, but clearly teh one shown here is fake....

I wonder if the Skoda will also share the Seat Leon interior with the Ateca..
Old 04-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Raconteur

It really is unfortunate that Skoda isn't available in the USA because this is a handsome design.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
I wonder if the Skoda will also share the Seat Leon interior with the Ateca..
My bet is it'll rather have Kodiaq's interior.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:21 PM
Administrator

It's a no brainer that VAG would rebadge the ateca into a skoda, the initial assumption earlier on in the thread was a rebadged tiguan but that seems to not have happened thankfully.

While this appears like a simple rebadge, on closer inspection it should have more design elements from the kodiag than the ateca, mainly the rear hatch/window which seems to be similar to the kodiaqs. Rear side window also seems fake for now, hopefully it will have a similar design to the kodiaq and not just transplanted from the ateca.

Should well.